What's new

Tony Jones: Favors and Jazz unlikely to reach an agreement on renegotiation and extension

But then the malcontents might lose an opportunity to bitch and moan, and the better this team gets, the harder it might be to find opportunities to trash management. Gotta make the most of your bitching opportunities.

This is the stuff I'm talking about. Questioning management's moves and suggesting potential moves does not equal bitching. It's just discussion and is the one of the main purposes of having boards like this.

You don't have to agree of course... its a discussion. Just discuss why you don't agree.

I think everyone agrees there doe. Even his bench celebration game has taken a step back.

Yeah. I'm just tossing it out there for JFC at large. As of today, you can bash on Lyles and not be a malcontent. Apparently. The line is always shifting though, so 'discussions' can be perilous.

I'm much more concerned with not extending Hill than Favors. Favors is still very much up in the air as to whether or not he can stay healthy consistently.

Also, there a lot of people here who like to assume and jump to conclusions, such as because Hill hasn't been extended, it means that they should have done something else with the cap space. Of course, none of us really knows whether or not it's still a possibility. Personally, I would have liked to see them pick up D-Will, but if extending Hill is still on the table, I think it's wise to leave that option open.

Anyway, my biggest issue with all the complaining, is the people complaining aren't really aware of all the different angles management is working, because we just don't have all the info. Every FO makes mistakes, and the power of hindsight makes all experts, but overall I can't see how anybody would be unhappy with the team DL has put together. Our biggest issue has been injury trouble, and that's not the fault of DL.

I'm much more concerned with not extending Hill than Favors. Favors is still very much up in the air as to whether or not he can stay healthy consistently.

Also, there a lot of people here who like to assume and jump to conclusions, such as because Hill hasn't been extended, it means that they should have done something else with the cap space. Of course, none of us really knows whether or not it's still a possibility. Personally, I would have liked to see them pick up D-Will, but if extending Hill is still on the table, I think it's wise to leave that option open.

Anyway, my biggest issue with all the complaining, is the people complaining aren't really aware of all the different angles management is working, because we just don't have all the info. Every FO makes mistakes, and the power of hindsight makes all experts, but overall I can't see how anybody would be unhappy with the team DL has put together. Our biggest issue has been injury trouble, and that's not the fault of DL.

Agree... I just think Hill discussions are already done... don't think we were waiting until the buzzer. Would love to be wrong though.

Yeah. I'm just tossing it out there for JFC at large. As of today, you can bash on Lyles and not be a malcontent. Apparently. The line is always shifting though, so 'discussions' can be perilous.

I think since Exum's play has picked up (except yesterday on offense... defense was good though) that yes... Lyles is the bust we need to complain about and certainly should mention taking Booker and how we were 100% on board with Booker.

Balanse Testz Doe!

Not really... could still trade him unless he got hurt. The idea is use money now to lessen the cap hit later. Might be the difference between over the cap and over the luxury tax.

I think Favs may get moved in the offseason... likely after we have either re-signed Hayward or he has walked and we need a replacement.

Much easier to move him on a 1 year deal when you have cap space than it is when he's on a multi year deal and you are over the cap.

Look, either way the Jazz are going to be over the cap and possibly the tax at some point. Because they've decided to go forward with Hayward and Gobert. I'd rather them stay near that cap mark after re-signing Hayward and Hill. Giving them the option of moving a Favors or Burks to get back under the cap for a little bit longer than I would them extending everyone now and be over the cap/tax next summer with no options.

I think since Exum's play has picked up (except yesterday on offense... defense was good though) that yes... Lyles is the bust we need to complain about and certainly should mention taking Booker and how we were 100% on board with Booker.

Balanse Testz Doe!
Kelly Oubre doe!

Would we even be having this conversation if Fav's hadn't played well the last two games? He's coming off an extended rest and playing with motivation for a R and E. It will be interesting to see how he fares against OKC after two games at full exertion. I'm of the opinion he slows down and the injuries rear their ugly heads again (although I hope I'm wrong). If we extended him and the injuries do resurface, man how the accusations would fly about management and being stuck on players for emotional reasons. To me, this is a sound business move.

Would we even be having this conversation if Fav's hadn't played well the last two games? He's coming off an extended rest and playing with motivation for a R and E. It will be interesting to see how he fares against OKC after two games at full exertion. I'm of the opinion he slows down and the injuries rear their ugly heads again (although I hope I'm wrong). If we extended him and the injuries do resurface, man how the accusations would fly about management and being stuck on players for emotional reasons. To me, this is a sound business move.

Good points. Looks like trade bait then come draft time. I applaud the Jazz for trying to r and e with Faves as he is a special player when healthy, particularly for this team that is not deep at the center position. Hill is another one that's apparently stonewalling us even though he's been awol a ton. As the eternal optimist it seems to me that we have no recourse then but to try to use some of our cap space (the close to 3 mil we have to reach minimum) to shore up our bench in the free agent market. I hope the FO sees the writing on the wall and begins to see it this way. Our best season in seven years, let's be proactive in preparation for the playoffs.

How many spots does Favors move us up on draft day. We're down to 25 now, even out of TJ Leaf range.

Probably depends a lot on how he plays down the stretch and in the playoffs. I would hope that lottery is not out of the realm of possibility.

Do people really want to trade Favors for a lottery pick? I'm only going to consider including him for a package that brings back an All Star. Gobert, Hayward and Hill are rock solid, but I'm not selling Favors or Burks unless I can get a guy who tips the scales. When healthy, they're both better than most of the guys that get moved by trade - especially with their contracts.

Do people really want to trade Favors for a lottery pick? I'm only going to consider including him for a package that brings back an All Star. Gobert, Hayward and Hill are rock solid, but I'm not selling Favors or Burks unless I can get a guy who tips the scales. When healthy, they're both better than most of the guys that get moved by trade - especially with their contracts.

So then are you saying that you wouldn't consider a trade for a lesser player and a pick? I don't pretend to know how it's all going to shake out but I would guess that unless he has a change of heart and decides to renegotiate now that he will be moved come the draft as this could be our last opportunity to get close to equal value. Either that or we ride him all next season and then let him walk which isn't a bad contingency as it is a contract year and he will have to bring it I imagine.

So then are you saying that you wouldn't consider a trade for a lesser player and a pick? I don't pretend to know how it's all going to shake out but I would guess that unless he has a change of heart and decides to renegotiate now that he will be moved come the draft as this could be our last opportunity to get close to equal value. Either that or we ride him all next season and then let him walk which isn't a bad contingency as it is a contract year and he will have to bring it I imagine.
No, I wouldn't trade him for a lesser player and a pick if he's healthy. I feel like the Jazz are still looking to hit a homerun when converting assets into players. A healthy Favors and a healthy Burks would be the best two assets for doing that. Unless the Jazz are getting the best player back in a trade, I hold off on moving either of them.

If they don't extend Favors or Hill. . . and they don't claim Bogut off waivers. . . I hope they give Jingles a mild extension and use their cap space this year to front load it.

To me it would depend on what pick we are getting and who is expected to be available. It's being called a good draft. I would prefer if we trade him to put together a package for an all star level player. But I would be okay if the pick was right because it would clear cap space giving us more flexibility going forward and potentially give us 3 first rounders in a good draft.

If they don't extend Favors or Hill. . . and they don't claim Bogut off waivers. . . I hope they give Jingles a mild extension and use their cap space this year to front load it.

They can't. Huge front-loading is possible only with renegotiate and extend and renegotiate and extend is available only for contracts signed at least 3 years before the date of the extension(Ingles' contract is 2 years).