What's new

Top 10 Best Jazz Players of All Time (and the rest) - FINAL LIST!!!

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
@Jazz Spazz @Nate505 @Jason or any other mod please sticky this thread for a few days. TIA.

SPECIAL THANKS TO @Jason FOR ALLOWING A LARGER THAN NORMAL POLL FOR THE LAST 2 ROUNDS, MADE THIS MUCH EASIER AND MORE EFFECTIVE!!

HERE IT IS, THE MOST DEFINITIVE LIST OF THE TOP 10 (AND MORE) PLAYERS WHO HAVE EVER PLAYED FOR THE JAZZ, PAST AND PRESENT!!

Here is the final top 10 best Jazz men of ALL TIME as determined by the most knowledgeable (and beautiful) fan base on the ENTIRE INTERWEBZ....JAZZFANZ!!!!

THANK YOU to all (as of this edit...)
105 VOTERS, THE MOST EVER IN A JAZZ FANZ POLL!!!

ANY SURPRISES?? IF THIS ISN'T WHAT YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE, ADD YOUR OWN TOP 10 IN THE THREAD!!

1657911181063.png

And here is the top 20...as voted on in the final round of voting...WITH GAMES PLAYED FOR THE JAZZ!!

1657911982210.png

And here is the entire list. I ranked the top 30 based on the final votes from round 2 and the last 20 from the final votes from round 1. Only one guy got no votes...poor Greg Foster. Maybe I should have had someone else in his spot who knows?

1657911313530.png

And here is the final list with all stats and impact scores and votes from each round. It is a bit small, so do your best!

1657911488647.png

DISCUSS!!

Attachments

• 1657911225467.png
    1657911225467.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well done. Kudos for doing this, I had fun with it.

The more interesting thing to me was what constituted a great Jazz player or not. Like I was one of the few votes for Derrick Favors. Yes, I think there were other players better than him to play for the Jazz, even that jerkwad Hayward. But Favors really to me embodied a true Jazz player, spent most of his time here, and was just overall more solid than people give him credit for. Which is why I voted him in the Top 10.

Well done. Kudos for doing this, I had fun with it.

The more interesting thing to me was what constituted a great Jazz player or not. Like I was one of the few votes for Derrick Favors. Yes, I think there were other players better than him to play for the Jazz, even that jerkwad Hayward. But Favors really to me embodied a true Jazz player, spent most of his time here, and was just overall more solid than people give him credit for. Which is why I voted him in the Top 10.
Thanks!

And I agonized over Favors as well. Tough to replace anyone in the top 10 as it stands here with Favors, but a case could be made. It is interesting to hear what makes a top 10 Jazz player for everyone. Longevity and loyalty are definitely part of the equation, harkening back to our founder, Larry Miller (yeah I know he bought the team, but he really set what it meant to be a Jazz man and defined the culture).

Ricky Green was an all star while playing for Jazz. The number of Jazz all stars is ridiculously short.
Yes it is. But it is for most teams in reality. Usually a team is lucky to have 2 all stars at the same time. So 2 per year at best on average, over the course of 40+ years, but when those 2 are the same players for nearly 20 of those years (Stockton and Malone), it makes the list much shorter as there was not much room for another one.

Our top 10 would make a pretty solid 10 man rotation. 3 all-world defenders, and 2 solid defenders, plenty of scoring and playmaking, solid at every position. Would be fun to watch.

Now it would be a different list if it was just favorite players, or players that have the most odd or funniest stories to remember.
Can we include coaches and media too?

OP impersonating a cop
Ingles and his awesome interviews and off court stuff
Pillow forts
Sloan and his Sloanisms - playing with a tuxedo on, jackpotting around
Deron Williams & Robert Whaley aka Torrey Ellis and Bobby Williams
AK- Too many. crying, back tattoo, free pass, etc.
Boozer - all the injuries, foot injury answering the front door... yea right.... And One after a miss
Ostertag getting slapped by Shaq
Malone - Me so Hungry ads
Commercials for various players. Some of them were even good. Gobert going around knocking cups out of peoples hands... pretty funny.
Bolerjack - knowing nothing about basketball but calling things. Banging down 3's. Skip passes, mispronounced names, and 50 others.
Raja Bell & Kobe - Kobe responding to a question about Bell - "I don't know this guy, I don't know this kid. He overreacts to stuff, I don't know him,"

That's just off the top of my head, I know I forgot a lot of good stuff. The non basketball list is pretty great too.

Now it would be a different list if it was just favorite players, or players that have the most odd or funniest stories to remember.
Can we include coaches and media too?

OP impersonating a cop
Ingles and his awesome interviews and off court stuff
Pillow forts
Sloan and his Sloanisms - playing with a tuxedo on, jackpotting around
Deron Williams & Robert Whaley aka Torrey Ellis and Bobby Williams
AK- Too many. crying, back tattoo, free pass, etc.
Boozer - all the injuries, foot injury answering the front door... yea right.... And One after a miss
Ostertag getting slapped by Shaq
Malone - Me so Hungry ads
Commercials for various players. Some of them were even good. Gobert going around knocking cups out of peoples hands... pretty funny.
Bolerjack - knowing nothing about basketball but calling things. Banging down 3's. Skip passes, mispronounced names, and 50 others.
Raja Bell & Kobe - Kobe responding to a question about Bell - "I don't know this guy, I don't know this kid. He overreacts to stuff, I don't know him,"

That's just off the top of my head, I know I forgot a lot of good stuff. The non basketball list is pretty great too.
How did you know I impersonated a cop?

This was loads of fun. Thanks for putting it together. I think the final Top 10 is pretty good. Not exactly like mine, but close enough. Arguments can be made for all.

Thanks @LogGrad98

Sucks that our (obvious) top two have gone on to be an embarrassing dumbass and a predator. Love that Rudy is #3. And cool, but also kind of sad, that Mitchell makes the top 5 already.