What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

I didn't say I was OK with what happened to the lady in the wheelchair, but OK.
I mean, she got beat up and robbed on film and your reaction was why didn't the lady in the wheelchair stop the white lady (she clearly turned towards the white lady btw, but she was in a wheelchair) so after seeing the first lady escape, she moved her wheelchair closer to the door to block the exit.

Sure, it was dumb of her to confront a mob in a wheelchair with a small knife but watching her get attacked and robbed just made me shake my head. Maybe I read into what you wrote but it came across as, yeah, well she was racist so.. and it's OK to loot Target.

This stuff is hard and there is no single magic bullet, so it takes a lot of time.

When injustice works to your advantage, of course you'd like it to take a lot of time to fix. Without a brutal civil war, how long do you think it would've taken to gradually abolish slavery?

When people talk about slow change, I'm always reminded of an anecdote from Rhodesia in the 1970s. Rhodesia, of course, was an apartheid state like South Africa, with the added issue that it wasn't internationally recognized. They had Mugabe leading an insurrection, they had international sanctions, they had South Africa urging them to give up for their own selfish reasons. So Ian Smith tries to do a half-assed internal settlement with blacks willing to cooperate. They make a proposal to the UK that would see gradual enfranchisement of blacks by making franchise dependent on income and/or education. Every year, a certain number of blacks would be registered to vote. At that pace, black voters would outnumber white voters around 2100. Of course the UK say no. Smith was just trying to ensure that his children, and his children's children, and their children's children live in apartheid. It's fine if it's abolished a 100 years after he dies.

I mean, she got beat up and robbed on film and your reaction was why didn't the lady in the wheelchair stop the white lady (she clearly turned towards the white lady btw, but she was in a wheelchair) so after seeing the first lady escape, she moved her wheelchair closer to the door to block the exit.

Sure, it was dumb of her to confront a mob in a wheelchair with a small knife but watching her get attacked and robbed just made me shake my head. Maybe I read into what you wrote but it came across as, yeah, well she was racist so.. and it's OK to loot Target.
NAOS was right.

Just because Benny Johnson of all people says that guy identified with antifa doesn't make it so.

Also there seems to be a lot of confusion about what antifa is, and what it means to be part of that movement.

First off there's no "organization" to antifa, there are hundreds of individual groups that employ their tactics to varying degrees and employ direct action under that banner. That said, probably the most defining characteristic of the movement is that they are willing to employ violent tactics to oppose fascism, think punching Nazis in the face for example, although many chapters only condone such violence in self defense.

Another thing to keep in mind is that anarchy isn't the driving force behind the movement, they are two separate things with some cross pollination.

One thing that the last few days have made me think about is how different these protests and riots are from "race riots" we've seen in the past. The groups of people we're seeing are a lot more diverse than what we've seen in the past. While I think most of the people out there are protesting injustice at the hands of police towards minorities, I think in many ways it's becoming a movement against police violence as a whole, and the police state the US has become.

The escalation in use of force by police, not just against protestors, but even the press and standers-by, is helping to move things in this direction as well imo.

this is an excellent post and if I could like it another 100 times, I would.

Okay but what action? I’m serious when I ask how will this create change? That is, what is going to change? Is racism going to simply be vanquished? That’s where I’m stumped with all this. The protests need to happen. If it’s me, I’m peacefully protesting by blocking Wall Street (I imagine traders hit the floor from below ground but don’t know)—is there anything that reeks of white male wealth more than Wall Street? Maybe sitting down in streets and standing across sidewalks in downtown Manhattan. IDK. But again either way at the end of this, I’m not sure what changes are expected. Changes in law enforcement NEED to occur but beyond that, I’m not sure where we go.
Yeah I don't know either... which is why you get anarchy.

When injustice works to your advantage, of course you'd like it to take a lot of time to fix. Without a brutal civil war, how long do you think it would've taken to gradually abolish slavery?

When people talk about slow change, I'm always reminded of an anecdote from Rhodesia in the 1970s. Rhodesia, of course, was an apartheid state like South Africa, with the added issue that it wasn't internationally recognized. They had Mugabe leading an insurrection, they had international sanctions, they had South Africa urging them to give up for their own selfish reasons. So Ian Smith tries to do a half-assed internal settlement with blacks willing to cooperate. They make a proposal to the UK that would see gradual enfranchisement of blacks by making franchise dependent on income and/or education. Every year, a certain number of blacks would be registered to vote. At that pace, black voters would outnumber white voters around 2100. Of course the UK say no. Smith was just trying to ensure that his children, and his children's children, and their children's children live in apartheid. It's fine if it's abolished a 100 years after he dies.

One of my wife’s coworker’s parents’ own a business in Philly. Was looted last night.

I don't know who Benny is, was just finding a tweet with the video in it, but the point that I'm trying to make is that Antifa isn't a saintly group by any means. There's no doubt different flavors within that group, some more diplomatic than the next.

As for your latter point, totally agree that people are acting out against a police state vs. racism. I think this has morphed into what we're seeing now as the match was lit.

No offense, but when posting these Types of videos it is necessary to know who’s posting them. There are a lot of bad actors out there.

I saw last night Info Wars post a video of the protest in Austin. They claimed that protesters had set a homeless man’s mattress in fire. I knew that it probably wasn’t correct because infowars lies a lot. In the morning I read that infowars had actually set his mattress on fire and started the camera after the fire had begun.

Benny Johnson’s political bias is pretty obvious in his profile. Just click on it. TPUSA stands for “TurningPoint.” It’s a group funded by billionaires like the Kochs to recruit young people. They put out misleading videos, reformist history, and often racially inflammatory rhetoric. Just spending 30 seconds on his profile would tell you he’s probably not a good source of information.
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson

I suggest you familiarize yourself with TPUSA’s founder and bad actors like Candace Owens. They’re becoming increasingly active on social media and put out some pretty absurd propaganda:

it’s pretty obvious these people aren’t looking for solutions, but are just grifting, one of the key features of Trumpism.

Last edited:
No offense, but when posting these Types of videos it is necessary to know who’s posting them. There are a lot of bad actors out there.

I saw last night Info Wars post a video of the protest in Austin. They claimed that protesters had set a homeless man’s mattress in fire. I knew that it probably wasn’t correct because infowars lies a lot. In the morning I read that infowars had actually set his mattress on fire and started the camera after the fire had begun.

Benny Johnson’s political bias is pretty obvious in his profile. Just click on it. TPUSA stands for “TurningPoint.” It’s a group funded by billionaires like the Kochs to recruit young people. They put out misleading videos, reformist history, and often racially inflammatory rhetoric. Just spending 30 seconds on his profile would tell you he’s probably not a good source of information.
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson

I suggest you familiarize yourself with TPUSA’s founder and bad actors like Candace Owens. They’re becoming increasingly active on social media and put out some pretty absurd propaganda:

it’s pretty obvious these people aren’t looking for solutions, but are just grifting, one of the key features of Trumpism.

Good point, dude is definitely someone I wouldn't agree with now that I look at his profile. I posted upthread that social media is mostly misinformation.

So, let me get this right, while Trump is giving a speech calling himself an "ally" of peaceful protestors he's unleashing troops to fire tear gas into a crowd of peaceful protestors to clear a path so he can walk to a church for a photo op?

Are you ****ing kidding me?