What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned

Brutal. Makes me sad and angry. Read the whole thing. Simply horrible.
Like gandalfe I haven't watched for the same reason.

I'm glad that the police officers involved are being held accountable. I think that we have gotten to a better place where things like this result in police facing a trial in which they are very likely to be convicted if they acted inappropriately.

Like gandalfe I haven't watched for the same reason.

I'm glad that the police officers involved are being held accountable. I think that we have gotten to a better place where things like this result in police facing a trial in which they are very likely to be convicted if they acted inappropriately.
Agreed. But we desperately need systemic change. The rot is just so deep that a few convictions of cops isn’t going to change anything.

Agreed. But we desperately need systemic change. The rot is just so deep that a few convictions of cops isn’t going to change anything.
Yeah, I feel the same way. The problem is that the entire law enforcement establishment basically needs to be torn down and built from scratch but that's not realistic when you actually do need a functioning police force while this revolution is taking place. Short of that change is going to be incremental and take generations to get where things need to be.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned

Brutal. Makes me sad and angry. Read the whole thing. Simply horrible.
I watched quite a bit last night. Not all yet. There were 4 videos, the city released them here:

There are two things that would go a long way towards making policing better.

1. Legalizing all drugs. Period. The sheer amount of time, money and resources wasted on fighting drugs....I sometimes feel like majority of policing resources are spent on dealing with drugs. War on Drugs has directly or indirectly caused so many of the problem with policing we have today.

2. Police should have no involvement in traffic violations. There is 0 reason for police to be pulling people over for speeding or having a busted signaling light. If crime rates are as high as people fear they are, why in the world are we spending all these resources on bylaw violations. If we don't have cops walking around neighbourhoods with decibel meters, why are they out on the streets with radar guns? Unless they reasonably suspect that a crime is about to be committed or is being committed, police should not be pulling over motorists. If we have the technology to issue parking tickets without needing multiple armed men, we have the technology to issue speeding tickets without them, too.

Yeah, I feel the same way. The problem is that the entire law enforcement establishment basically needs to be torn down and built from scratch but that's not realistic when you actually do need a functioning police force while this revolution is taking place. Short of that change is going to be incremental and take generations to get where things need to be.
Good post. I wish we could see more or any momentum. I thought George Floyd (that was 3 years ago in May) was the worst I’d ever seen and I can’t think of any reforms that were passed because of it. At least the cops were prosecuted. But we need system change. And what we’re getting is either nonexistent or do incremental, no one notices.

This former officer’s story is insane. This entire thread is just unreal.

View: https://twitter.com/katiesponsler/status/1619341593827487744?s=46&t=27koe9bqWcF5vIsqd-eVmg

All well and good, I've worked with Police who've said the same thing. Its a hill of ****. I never say it, I bash ***** cause they deserve it.

So what is the solution?

Is the state, not the county or municipality going to take responsibility for the training and payment of all police? I bet your arse they won't, cause it takes the politics out of it.

In Australia, Victoria, where I'm from, the state government pays all cops, they do 4 months of standard training (they're all ****ing useless out of the academy anyway) after 3 years of being completely useless they're on about 90k per year. After 7 or 8 years they're on 100k most are completely ****ing useless but they're smart enough not to beat teenagers to death. (This is the limit of decision making allowed under the rank of sergeant, the vast majority of teenagers deserve being beaten to death) However what the don't do is kill people like they used to. Today when they kill people, (not enough people) some gobshite useless social working **** employed as a cop will second guess their colleagues at the coroners and say well maybe we shouldn't have shot the armed offender attacking people. Especially since they weren't attacking me.

Actually makes me ill, you get paid to shoot people that attack people, shoot them or get a new job. (nobody has me hire anyone, or even talk to people if they're sensible.) There is this endless grotto of blame shifting and PR spin that is just horse ****. Let the Police kill offenders, they'll think twice before they try to kill citizens. In Australia offenders attack the Police cause they don't think the Police will use deadly force. Most of the time they're right. **** that. Shoot the *****.

Word on the street is that there is credible evidence that Tyre was dating one of the cops' ex-girlfriend, and that, in the immediate aftermath of the beating, the cop took a picture of Tyre and sent it to her.
Is that ****ing real?

This is an incredibly enlightening article. A few pts that stood out to me:

1) throughout the article it provides examples of these specialty police forces and how militaristic and lethal they are. They name these forces names like, “SCORPION” and STRESS. They’re sent into what’s deemed to be “high crime” areas and given a long leash to subjugate citizens. This is so dangerous to the public.
2) They purposely recruit violent recruits (some with dangerous histories) and give them this type of training:

One former Memphis officer told CBS News that ‌SCORPION hired young and inexperienced officers with a propensity for aggression. Their “training” consisted of “three days of PowerPoint presentations, one day of criminal apprehension instruction and one day at the firing range.” One of the five officers indicted in Nichols’s murder had a prior complaint against him, and the civil rights attorney Ben Crump said he has already heard from other people who say they were abused by the unit.
And we wonder why policing is a mess?

This is an incredibly enlightening article. A few pts that stood out to me:

1) throughout the article it provides examples of these specialty police forces and how militaristic and lethal they are. They name these forces names like, “SCORPION” and STRESS. They’re sent into what’s deemed to be “high crime” areas and given a long leash to subjugate citizens. This is so dangerous to the public.
2) They purposely recruit violent recruits (some with dangerous histories) and give them this type of training:

And we wonder why policing is a mess?

The war on drugs, the longest war in American history and one that we fight against ourself.

Very good example of why you should always refuse roadside tests, including the preliminary breath test. In Utah you are NOT required to perform any of these tests and refusal cannot be used to establish probable cause for an arrest. These tests have one purpose, which is to gather evidence for probable cause. These tests are NEVER EVER used to establish your innocence or ability to drive safely. That is not what they are for at all, as you can see that this completely non-intoxicated person was arrested after showing no real sign of intoxication (balance, slurred speech, zeros on the breath test) yet was arrested based on probable cause because he didn't count the correct number of steps or perfectly follow the rules given to him by the officer.

You can comply with your required actions like giving ID, registration, proof of insurance. You always MUST exit the vehicle if told to do so by a police officer. Be polite and calmly explain that you don't want to answer questions unless accompanied by a lawyer. Just be polite and don't answer any invasive questions like "When's the last time you smoked weed?" or "How much have you had to drink tonight?" Don't lie! Just refuse to answer the question even if it is truthfully "I have never smoked weed and I have never had alcohol in my life." Just don't answer the question.

Had this kid kept his mouth shut and not done the tests he would not have been arrested because there would have been no probable cause for an arrest.