What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

Speaking of law enforcement, if this doesn’t cause you to second guess what local police departments are doing, it should! One of the examples in this story:

Raziel Rodas pulled over on the dark shoulder of Interstate 15 near Springville.

He and a friend had just run out of gas. It was a December 2017 evening, about 6:40 p.m., but they had extra fuel in their vehicle. Rodas climbed into the truck’s bed to pour it in the tank, leaning over the edge to avoid being hit by speeding traffic.

While awkwardly pouring the gas, however, he was hit in the back by something else: a bullet. He and his friend took cover, and the friend dialed 911.

A few lanes over, Brody and Erin Lambert were driving on the freeway with their four children when the back window of their pickup truck shattered, covering the kids in glass. The Lamberts quickly pulled off at a truck stop to call police.

The family and Rodas didn’t know they were in the middle of a police shooting, in which officers from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office and Spanish Fork police opened fire — some with high-powered assault rifles — and shot a total of 72 rounds during a traffic stop.
Their intended target, Arturo Gallemore-Jimenez, had shot out his truck window earlier that day in Nephi after locking himself out of the vehicle. He fled before police got to the scene, and as officers tried to pull him over on I-15, he fired three rounds at them. He was wanted out of Aurora, Colo., on suspicion of attempted murder from the day prior, though officers didn’t know it when they returned fire.

Gallemore-Jimenez suffered survivable injuries and was arrested shortly after. The Utah County Attorney’s Office decided it would not bring criminal charges against the officers. Still, the Spanish Fork Police Department decided to do what most Utah police departments do when an officer uses deadly force: investigate it internally, comparing the officer’s actions to department policy to determine if any policies had been violated.

A review concluded that the Spanish Fork officer’s actions were within policy, but the Use of Force Review Board recommended that future training should stress that officers be aware of their surroundings — especially nearby civilians — when utilizing lethal force.

The second agency involved, the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, did not conduct an internal investigation, an official confirmed
. The office, which has a budget 12 times larger than Spanish Fork’s, also did not present a report to a Use of Force Review Board. And there’s no evidence any steps were taken to stress awareness of civilians in future use-of-force situations.

Are hotels short-staffed because of a "defund the hotels" movement? Are teachers short-staffed because of "defund the schools"? Restaurants? Hospitals? I could go on and on.
Yes they are, but they named the movement "covid restrictions" rather than "defund the hotels" or "defund the restaurants".

Yes they are, but they named the movement "covid restrictions" rather than "defund the hotels" or "defund the restaurants".
You left out teachers and hospitals.

Covid19 made a lot of people sick and got a lot of people to retire. The police were not an exception. Claiming some magical defunding that barely happened in a few places won't change that.

You left out teachers and hospitals.

Covid19 made a lot of people sick and got a lot of people to retire. The police were not an exception. Claiming some magical defunding that barely happened in a few places won't change that.
COVID made a bunch of jobs available and no one to take them?

I don't follow.

COVID made a bunch of jobs available and no one to take them?

I don't follow.
A lot of people did drop out of the workforce, that is true. There is currently a worker shortage in most of the country in a lot of different industries. We cannot find warehouse workers right now, so we pay a lot more than we used to just to attract folks. As soon as their hours drop off at all, like this week one of my main customers had a lull in one of my buildings, and we had a few temps sent home early 2 days, so half of them just said, **** it, I'm out, and they will likely be placed before the day is through at another place probably making more than we pay. Nature of the beast right now.

A lot of people did drop out of the workforce, that is true. There is currently a worker shortage in most of the country in a lot of different industries. We cannot find warehouse workers right now, so we pay a lot more than we used to just to attract folks. As soon as their hours drop off at all, like this week one of my main customers had a lull in one of my buildings, and we had a few temps sent home early 2 days, so half of them just said, **** it, I'm out, and they will likely be placed before the day is through at another place probably making more than we pay. Nature of the beast right now.
So there wasn't a defund warehouses campaign behind it?

When the police detain you don't make it "an easy day to be in law enforcement" make it a day when they need to follow all rules and conduct their investigation without your assistance.

Is there any context available?

I mean from this video it looks like those three officers need to be out of a job and in a jail cell.

This is an article I read about the incident. Not much context yet.

Get some!!!!

But seriously show me the 5 minutes before that. Yeah they're giving him a hiding, he's not going to die from it, what's he done first? If he's committed a violent offence against a person, he deserves it. Im actually ****ing sick of it, violent offenders battering innocent people then when the shoe is on the other foot they claim to be as innocent as ****ing bambi. You buy the ticket, you take the ****ing ride. Aggravated burglary and robbery is on the rise and there is no reason for it, if you're going to be a thief have from professional pride and do it without causing trauma to people.

I arrested a bloke a few weeks ago for an attempted theft. I told him to stop, sit down and that he was under arrest, the bloke had a break in kit containing a number of tools he could have tried to use as a weapon but didn't. We waited patiently for the police, he was arrested, I made a statement, it was all over in 40 minutes, he likely would have been released in a couple of hours and could go steal something from somewhere else. I had some respect for the man, the emergency operator asked me if i had pressed him for any further information, i said I have no reason to, he is perfectly polite and i have no reason to press the man. I on the other had have no respect for offenders that use violence, they should always receive their trade in kind.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned

Brutal. Makes me sad and angry. Read the whole thing. Simply horrible.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned

Brutal. Makes me sad and angry. Read the whole thing. Simply horrible.
I refuse to watch any cop-created snuff films.

That being said, hearing the lawyer for the family say that her was treated "like a human pinata" just about broke me. Like a baton across the face.

It’s almost as if, now maybe I’m out in left field here, but it’s almost as if militarizing the police, training them on how to dominate their communities, and then asking them to handle everything from traffic citations, burglary, substance abuse, domestic disturbances, and school shootings, is a bad idea. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with this? Telling cops that they’re soldiers who need to dominate their communities while giving them millions of equipment used in war zones.

Amazon product ASIN 1610394577View: https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610394577

If Tyre Nichols hadnt been killed, would anyone here know his name? Wouldn’t he just be joining the hundreds of thousands of nameless humans who’d now be stuck with huge medical and legal expenses and now a crime record that’d affect their quality of life forever? How many other Tyre Nichols are stuck in our system, either in a prison or with a criminal record, who are alive but otherwise unknown to us all because some cop thought the person was guilty of some infraction? It’s pretty scary when you think about it. Our legal and judicial system is just such a mess.

I didn’t want to see the entire clip. But I did watch the beginning. Seems like the police really became frustrated when they pepper sprayed him and some of the spray got in their own eyes. Is this really the best methods we have to control a situation? He seemed calm and relatively compliant. Why are the cops screaming F bombs at him while he’s calming talking to them? That’d get me fired in my job. Is screaming F bombs at citizens really helpful? We wonder why he ran away?

Last edited: