What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

I only checked New York City. They seem to think their budget went up in 2020.

2019: 5,668,823
2020: 5,785,046

I only had to check one. Why should I believe you about any of the others?
I knew someone would say this.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

And the "defunding" of the SLC police didn't actually reduce the money allocated to the police, it just took 5.3 million of their budget and put it into a fund the police department didn't control and spent it on things like body cameras and social workers.
The irony from this comment, assuming you're actually for defunding the police.

Money is certainly fungible, but to say it's weak sauce when someone answers your question is a bit much.

Person: Who was defunded?

Person: them.

Person: weak sauce, if you don't look at the numbers that way and this way.

I don't get it.

Many from what I've read online.

Not sure if you're asking for real or if there's something I'm missing.

Yes, it is a thing.

I had no idea that the definition of "defunding the police" was cutting a few percentage points of their budget.

I haven't heard much about cuts to police manpower or anything like that. Do you know if this "defunding" reduced headcounts anywhere?

The irony from this comment, assuming you're actually for defunding the police.

Money is certainly fungible, but to say it's weak sauce when someone answers your question is a bit much.

Person: Who was defunded?

Person: them.

Person: weak sauce, if you don't look at the numbers that way and this way.

I don't get it.
There was no amount of money spent by SLC to do the things the police do taken away. The city wanted to control a little more of where that budget went. All of it was spent to accomplish the mission that the police are tasked with accomplishing. A little more than $5 million out of an $89 million dollar budget was placed under the control of the city vs the police department. Again, if that's what defunding the police meant this whole time I didn't get that impression when it was first being discussed. I thought it meant close to eliminating the police. Single digit adjustments to police budgets seem pretty meaningless and I can't imagine how such a thing would cause crime to skyrocket in such a short amount of time.

Let's imagine this. SLC doesn't change the amount of money put into the police departments bank account at all but tells the police that they are required to use some of their money to improve their body cameras and to hire some social workers. Would that be considered "defunding the police?" That's essentially what happened except instead of telling the police how to spend that ~6-7% of their budget the city did it for them.

There are some places that transferred services like homeless intervention and special victims services to non-police personnel.
But was there an actual reduction in the number of police officers?

@Archie Moses I'm asking because I don't know. When you talked about defunding the police, since I hadn't seen anything about massive police layoffs and departments being shut down that "defunding" as I imagined it had not happened. Then I look and the few examples I see are single digit percentage adjustments to police budgets that seems to have lasted one year before bloated police budgets began to rise again.

I had no idea that the definition of "defunding the police" was cutting a few percentage points of their budget.

I haven't heard much about cuts to police manpower or anything like that. Do you know if this "defunding" reduced headcounts anywhere?
Yes and no. The headcounts at SLCPD were reduced but the mechanism used to accomplish it was a hiring freeze imposed by the Salt Lake City Council in 2020. Any officer who quit could not be replaced. Any officer who retired could not be replaced. Any officer who had to report for military service could not be replaced.

This infuriates me.

I watch ATA all the time and will watch it with my son in a few years.

Love how he educates and isn't subjective.
Yeah his is the best one for that content that I've seen. There's another one called LackLuster that has ok content but the host uses a lot of anti-police language, like calling them "tyrants" and other stuff that is a huge turn-off for me. I like ATA because like you said, they try to not be subjective and present things in a very neutral way.

I don't watch any specific First Amendment Auditors because I think the vast majority of them are horrible. I do watch some stuff where SovCits and First Amendment Auditors get owned by the police. That stuff is pretty satisfying.

I enjoy seeing both angles. I think the police need a lot more oversight and I think the culture need to focus on professionalism, courtesy and maintaining that in the face of hostility (not violence, just a little verbal abuse). I think bad police officers need to be more efficiently taken out of service. I think bad police departments should be identified and taken over at the state level, or failing that, if they are regularly violating rights, should be taken over temporarily by the federal government until they can police the community without doing more harm than good.

Yeah his is the best one for that content that I've seen. There's another one called LackLuster that has ok content but the host uses a lot of anti-police language, like calling them "tyrants" and other stuff that is a huge turn-off for me. I like ATA because like you said, they try to not be subjective and present things in a very neutral way.

I don't watch any specific First Amendment Auditors because I think the vast majority of them are horrible. I do watch some stuff where SovCits and First Amendment Auditors get owned by the police. That stuff is pretty satisfying.

I enjoy seeing both angles. I think the police need a lot more oversight and I think the culture need to focus on professionalism, courtesy and maintaining that in the face of hostility (not violence, just a little verbal abuse). I think bad police officers need to be more efficiently taken out of service. I think bad police departments should be identified and taken over at the state level, or failing that, if they are regularly violating rights, should be taken over temporarily by the federal government until they can police the community without doing more harm than good.
ADA is pretty damn good and reviews some polarizing videos imo.

Dude educates.

Sadly, most of the police tyrants just don't know better. Even more sad, that's a recipe for disaster.

Okay, so I hadn't followed this issue much. I wasn't really aware that headcounts were reduced anywhere.

That said, I'd need a lot more before I'd believe that reduction in police budgets by a few percentage points and similarly reduction in headcount by a few percentage points cause a skyrocket effect in violent crime. I think larger societal issues almost certainly played a larger role than minor changes in police budgets and headcounts.

I'm prone to be proven wrong because of my lack of awareness on this issue, though. So I'm honestly open to information that is enlightening, not so open to info that in inflammatory.

That said, I'd need a lot more before I'd believe that reduction in police budgets by a few percentage points and similarly reduction in headcount by a few percentage points cause a skyrocket effect in violent crime. I think larger societal issues almost certainly played a larger role than minor changes in police budgets and headcounts.
Especially when property crime went down at the same time.

Okay, so I hadn't followed this issue much. I wasn't really aware that headcounts were reduced anywhere.

I'm prone to be proven wrong because of my lack of awareness on this issue, though. So I'm honestly open to information that is enlightening, not so open to info that in inflammatory.
You can go to Google News and search "police short staffed" to get stories from nearly every city in the country. In the past 12 months local governments have thrown massive pay raises at police to reverse all the damage they did in 2020. I'll let you pick your own news on this topic because I'm confident that everywhere you look you'll find that headcounts went way down and government started to come to their senses by throwing truckloads of money at the problem they created. There are no shortage of politicians for which you can find sound bites saying words to the effect of "defund the police" only to pull a 180 a year later to talk up the value of law enforcement. This is going to be an ugly 2022 election campaign for many who got caught up in the virtue signaling hysteria and said things they thought were popular.