What's new

Trade deadline discussion

To me, and this is how I think. Our biggest strength is shooting so why not make our biggest strength even stronger. Matt Thomas just doesn’t miss wide open jumpers. Where’s he going to go where he will get more open shots than in Utah. He will give this team a similar boost just like Korver did in his second trade here assuming he ever gets regular mins.

Our rotation is really good leading to the best record in the NBA. However, the truth is though these guys aren't good enough, and will get exposed in the playoffs. Royce would be the best upgrade if we could get a bigger wing in there. Again we might miss Royce's good all around play, and unselfishness.....but in the end he will be attacked and owned deep in the playoffs. We could keep Royce if Bogie was upgraded. Someone has to go. We need more size, defence, and athleticism for a title run period. Basically the ingredients alone are all nice, but when we add them all together it's a good but not great meal. We won't make any moves today, and we won't win a title this year. Maybe offseason pressure will force some moves. Its devastating for us Jazz fans as this might be our best chance a a title with this core.

I think we can win a title this year. Everybody has to stay healthy and play to their averages. It can happen.

After Don, JC and Rudy re-signed, so much our entire 20/21 season and beyond comes down to Mike Conley:

- is he going to play better - so far so good
- is he going to be a difference maker in the playoffs - TBD
- does he want to stay?
- does he stay or does he bolt?
- does he make us pay a premium to get him to stay?

Unless he absolutely sucks in the playoffs, we are held captive by the Conley situation. It will suck if Conley plays well this postseason and leaves. It will suck if Conley plays well this postseason and we massively overpay to keep him. It will suck if Conley doesn't play well this postseason and we didn't trade him now while his value was so high.

We don't have many avenues to improve the roster due to the Conley trade. We gotta hope he plays well and doesn't make us break the bank to keep him.

Yeah, our next 2nd round pick is in 2025 lmao.

But they can always buy a pick in the mid to late 2nd round range if they want to.
I also think you can nab undrafted guys that turn into players at a decent rate now that agents don't want their guys selected after about 45 on in the draft.

I just think these picks have value to get legit proven pieces during the season... Thomas may be that but I don't see his route to playing this year... its a fine deal if he plays a rotation role next year.. its just too much galaxy brain thought I guess... like drafting a guy so you can develop him into a backup center someday.

I like Thomas as a player... no idea if he will ever play for us.

To me, and this is how I think. Our biggest strength is shooting so why not make our biggest strength even stronger. Matt Thomas just doesn’t miss wide open jumpers. Where’s he going to go where he will get more open shots than in Utah. He will give this team a similar boost just like Korver did in his second trade here assuming he ever gets regular mins.

Jazz picking up Matt Thomas is a very Spurs-like move. Guys who can relocate and knock down shots are weapons.

Must be a disappointing day for the Mavs fan. JJ is more of a media personality nowadays than a basketball player. They could have achieved so much with those expiring contracts

I can imagine you spending countless hours trying to trick the AI into trading you Luka, Ja or KD. Out of curiosity what is your starting lineup in Year 2? I remember in NBA 2k20 I got Brandon Clarke and Dejounte Murray early on
Man, I haven't played that in years. However, the last time I did it was pretty simple. You sign guys from the free agent market then trade them for either late 1sts or 2nd rounders. Turn all the 2nd rounders into 1st rounders. Every draft, I had like 3 first round picks. It was too easy if you are more GM driven than gameplay driven.

Must be a disappointing day for the Mavs fan. JJ is more of a media personality nowadays than a basketball player. They could have achieved so much with those expiring contracts

Cleveland is working on a buy-out for Drummond. Mavs were reportedly interested in trading for him, but must've not made much of an offer. Drummond will most likely sign with the Lakers now.