What's new

Trade deadline discussion

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner

This is actually an interesting trade Andy suggests:

Kenrich Williams for Udoka Azubuike and removed protections on the Jazz’s 2024 pick

This move actually serves a few purposes.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner

This move is also like getting a second rounder back in the deal because we'll end up saving the one that we'll have to send out to salary dump Udoka later.

Ujfanatic

Any trade we make to improve our title contention odds has to consider the closing lineup. Getting Smart as a 6th man would be great, but if you close with him who is sitting? Personally I am not interested in Smart as a replacement for any of our starters.

Ultimately the Jazz need a legit two way player who does not compromise in age, size, or athleticism. Unfortunately I have no idea who that player is. Short of that, I think we're looking for what we've always been looking for: A stretch 4 that is big enough to be a secondary rim protector.

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Any trade we make to improve our title contention odds has to consider the closing lineup. Getting Smart as a 6th man would be great, but if you close with him who is sitting? Personally I am not interested in Smart as a replacement for any of our starters.

Ultimately the Jazz need a legit two way player who does not compromise in age, size, or athleticism. Unfortunately I have no idea who that player is. Short of that, I think we're looking for what we've always been looking for: A stretch 4 that is big enough to be a secondary rim protector.

Royce would be the one sitting.

jom2003

bobby portis. he's got a player option with Milwaukee so basically a FA this summer

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

That's kind of interesting... unprotected picks don't get traded for good reason... we are relatively safe in 2024, but that is a way of giving up something that may be nothing... selling speculation for something real in Williams. Allows you to do a Joe trade with more confidence.

Ujfanatic

Royce would be the one sitting.
That doesn't accomplish much then. We still have two really bad defenders in our closing lineup and are undersized in virtually every position except center.

bobby portis. he's got a player option with Milwaukee so basically a FA this summer

Yeah, I think they pretty much love him in Milwaukee. I have a hard time seeing him go anywhere. I certainly would be interested if he did become available though.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
That's kind of interesting... unprotected picks don't get traded for good reason... we are relatively safe in 2024, but that is a way of giving up something that may be nothing... selling speculation for something real in Williams. Allows you to do a Joe trade with more confidence.
It’s a good idea. They should pay Andy the salary difference between Udoka and Williams if it happens.

jom2003

That doesn't accomplish much then. We still have two really bad defenders in our closing lineup and are undersized in virtually every position except center.

Yeah, I think they pretty much love him in Milwaukee. I have a hard time seeing him go anywhere. I certainly would be interested if he did become available though.
milwaukee has a pretty high tax bill and portis's getting paid peanuts over there. I think he'd go to a team that gives him the most money this summer

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Potential JC fits would be:

-Toronto
-NO
-Washington
-Cleveland - They are rumored to like Eric Gordon, Schroeder... so maybe. IF they take salary beyond this year on a guard it likely means Sexton isn't in the future plans.
-Clippers

I could maybe see Dallas or Atlanta liking him as well as the guy that carries the offense when Luka or Trae are off the court.

I think you could get an expiring contract for him or maybe NO does like Temple and Hayes (with Hayes going to a third team like OKC). With JC it is very eye of the beholder so there may very well not be a good market out there for him.

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner

We're going to have two really bad defenders in our closing lineup regardless. Unless they trade Bogey, which is extremely unlikely.