What's new

Trade deadline discussion

So with that being that... Not really thrilled with the direction we went.

Ingles + 2 2nds should've been in range for a real contributor on a meh contract (eg Josh Richardson) and instead we went for saving some money and a prospect who hasn't looked ready to contribute.
Why would Boston prefer that to what they ended up doing (getting under the tax while using Richardson to fetch back a better player)? They ended up as buyers, not sellers this deadline.

Why would Boston prefer that to what they ended up doing (getting under the tax while using Richardson to fetch back a better player)? They ended up as buyers, not sellers this deadline.

We could've been involved with the Spurs/Celtics Derrick White trade. Richardson wound up in San Antonio, I can't imagine they wouldn't have at least considered moving him for an expiring/2nds.

White to Boston
Ingles to SA
Richardson here

+ minor parts/2nds

Oh good. We're at the bait-and-switch stage. We got all prepped on "only Joe's contract is being traded" and "they sat down and he knew about this" and that "Joe wants to do this to help his team" and now we're moving to "yeah, he's probably not coming back."
Joe Ingles is a better man than me, because I’d want to come back and ****ing bury the Jazz.

We could've been involved with the Spurs/Celtics Derrick White trade. Richardson wound up in San Antonio, I can't imagine they wouldn't have at least considered moving him for an expiring/2nds.

White to Boston
Ingles to SA
Richardson here

+ minor parts/2nds
Maybe Spurs preferred Richardson to an expiring contract and 2nds. Maybe we did try to get in. Maybe we preferred to save the money that came with the NAW trade. Maybe Ainge actually likes NAW as a long-term play over Richardson. I don't know. I was advocating for Richardson (but only assuming Clarkson was moved, otherwise he'd have had no path to really play).

Maybe Spurs preferred Richardson to an expiring contract and 2nds. Maybe we did try to get in. Maybe we preferred to save the money that came with the NAW trade. Maybe Ainge actually likes NAW as a long-term play over Richardson. I don't know. I was advocating for Richardson (but only assuming Clarkson was moved, otherwise he'd have had no path to really play).

Do you know what for example means dude?

I get it, that particular deal may not have been able to work out for any number of reasons.

We went a weird damn direction with our move, we had a chance to get better this season and barring a big surprise break-out we didn't do it.

Wonder if the rest of the league has run out of willingness to let OKC take a 50% commission on all moves as the league's "banker".
That sounds good in theory but if you are Ainge or any GM and can save your owner 10s of millions you go ahead and do that anyway.

I wonder if they can do a re-negotiate and extend type of deal with Dort or Kenny that gets them more now and makes their numbers smoother later. Its been a while so I don't know those rules by hear anymore.

That sounds good in theory but if you are Ainge or any GM and can save your owner 10s of millions you go ahead and do that anyway.

I wonder if they can do a re-negotiate and extend type of deal with Dort or Kenny that gets them more now and makes their numbers smoother later. Its been a while so I don't know those rules by hear anymore.
Just checked... they can't. What u doing Presti?

Just checked... they can't. What u doing Presti?
Keeping his negotiating leverage and bringing it to the offseason before free agency for a team desperate to duck the tax at the last second or something like that. I guess. I don't know, I've never quite jived with the idea that you can't make a trade that ever gets you less than you think the return should be.

Do you know what for example means dude?

I get it, that particular deal may not have been able to work out for any number of reasons.

We went a weird damn direction with our move, we had a chance to get better this season and barring a big surprise break-out we didn't do it.
I went with Richardson because it was the only one that would have made sense to me of the names that were being thrown around. Gordon, Harris ... too expensive. I can't think of anyone else that might have been gotten for Ingles and spare parts that would have really moved the meter. Do you have other names in mind?

Even after his ACL tear?
Maybe because of his ACL tear. I think he's burned out on basketball and simultaneously probably nursing a half-dozen nagging injuries.

I think this is the equivalent of a near-death experience and he needed to put the ball down and have an opportunity to reflect and get his body right. That is all he will be doing for the next year+.

Keeping his negotiating leverage and bringing it to the offseason before free agency for a team desperate to duck the tax at the last second or something like that. I guess. I don't know, I've never quite jived with the idea that you can't make a trade that ever gets you less than you think the return should be.
The tax freezes at some point before the draft though. So it can be used to sign people or to take in salary at the draft in trades... but it doesn't affect the tax. So they missed a window here to get premium value imo.

I don't get it but Presti is a smart dude and doesn't seem like the type to just walk away from opportunities... even if he already has all the draft picks.

The tax freezes at some point before the draft though. So it can be used to sign people or to take in salary at the draft in trades... but it doesn't affect the tax. So they missed a window here to get premium value imo.

I don't get it but Presti is a smart dude and doesn't seem like the type to just walk away from opportunities... even if he already has all the draft picks.
Oh. Hmm. Well, he can still absorb players with it. Maybe they're setting the table to actually win games on purpose and they think they can get some good players that way, as a springboard? Or they can get last minute assets to absorb salary for players with extra years? I don't know. I just wouldn't bet against the dude that drafted three MVP's in three years, received assets to take Chris Paul AND to send him, and is now sitting on the most insane war chest of draft assets ever.

I'm glad nobody in the west got significantly better. It's probably good we didn't spend first round draft picks. I think that was likely the only way we were going to get a significant player.

I'm obviously disappointed we didn't address any of our needs. Somehow I'll come up with illogical reasons to believe in this team anyway.

I mean I keep hearing that if NAW gets better at decision making, shooting, finishing and plays better defense than he has then he will be a pretty great player. So if he gets better at basketball things.

He's a fine prospect but I feel his minutes will be larger than is justified because he's the guy Danny traded for. That all.
I know that is what you feel. What i am asking is will you still be mad if he turns out to be much better than you expected and earns every minute given?

Maybe because of his ACL tear. I think he's burned out on basketball and simultaneously probably nursing a half-dozen nagging injuries.

I think this is the equivalent of a near-death experience and he needed to put the ball down and have an opportunity to reflect and get his body right. That is all he will be doing for the next year+.

yeah no actual offseason in years and years. This will if anything prolong his career