What's new

Trade deadline discussion

My biggest fear at this point is that after we go out in the first or second round again this year, Ainge will convince Smith that we should trade Gobert and Smith will listen. You look at the teams Ainge built in Boston and he never spent a lot of money on the center position.

“Amicable” is a little bit of a stretch when he publicly expresses hurt at what they did.

We’ll see what happens, would truly love nothing more than a reunion even if he isn’t good. But maybe any of you have had an ex before and were surprised at how they behave after the split.

I mean in all reality the goal is to win. Why should we keep him when he can’t help us this year and came into the year out of shape and has actually hurt us with his play this year? He’s a fan favorite and I think that is getting in the way of reality for some people. We helped mold Ingles into who he is today. Gave him a 4-year extension without hesitation, etc.

Last edited:
My biggest fear at this point is that after we go out in the first or second round again this year, Ainge will convince Smith that we should trade Gobert and Smith will listen. You look at the teams Ainge built in Boston and he never spent a lot of money on the center position.

He spent a lot on Garnett. He spent a lot to recruit Al Horford in FA.

There can only be so many first or second round exits before something has to change. I think this off-season would be too early though. I would give this current group of players at least two more years to see what they could do. The core is signed together until the end of the 2023 season.

Hell, the package Sabonis commanded really opened up my eyes. Who’s knows what Rudy would get.

I mean in all reality this is a business at the end of the day and players say that all the time. Why should we keep him when he can’t help us this year and came into the year out of shape and has actually hurt us with his play this year? He’s a fan favorite and I think that is getting in the way of reality for some people. We helped mold Ingles into who he is today. Gave him a 4-year extension without hesitation, etc.
Maybe I wasn’t clear.

The thing that is the betrayal is dumping him with a garnish. I know you’re high on NAW but I think you’re high on something else if you think that dude in his current state should play ahead of any of our guards currently. If NO is such a disaster that it makes their players stink, then a kid drafted by them probably carries that stench and has to work to get it off. In other words, he’s developed wrong and is going to have to do as much unlearning as learning. That’s not helping this year.

Maybe I wasn’t clear.

The thing that is the betrayal is dumping his salary with a garnish on top. I know you’re high on NAW but I think you’re high on something else if you think that dude in his current state should play ahead of any of our guards currently. If NO is such a disaster that it makes their players stink, then a kid drafted by them probably carries that stench and has to work to get it off. In other words, he’s developed wrong and is going to have to do as much unlearning as learning. That’s not helping this year.

I’d love to see Clarkson’s minutes divided between Forrest, Butler and NAW.

Lol, Ingles minutes too.
Naw. We need perimeter defense, maybe you caught a whiff here and there about that.

Hopefully you’re right about NAW eventually, but this year I’m not putting him ahead of anyone on the depth chart to find out.

There can only be so many first or second round exits before something has to change. I think this off-season would be too early though. I would give this current group of players at least two more years to see what they could do. The core is signed together until the end of the 2023 season.

Hell, the package Sabonis commanded really opened up my eyes. Who’s knows what Rudy would get.

I agree changes should be made but trading Rudy ain't it. Every avenue should be explored to re-tool around Rudy and Donovan. If we trade Rudy, I'd just as soon trade Don too and just blow the whole ****ing thing up.

I agree changes should be made but trading Rudy ain't it. Every avenue should be explored to re-tool around Rudy and Donovan. If we trade Rudy, I'd just as soon trade Don too and just blow the whole ****ing thing up.
I really don’t know if I could do Donny and Frens for two .500 seasons before he asks out and after his market value has dipped.

I agree with this unless a Rudy deal is a complete home run for someone like Jaylen Brown.

I mean if Boston had a Rudy Gobert, I think their last 5 years goes a lot differently. Rudy is a unique player. There isn't anyone else like him in the NBA.

Naw. We need perimeter defense, maybe you caught a whiff here and there about that.

Hopefully you’re right about NAW eventually, but this year I’m not putting him ahead of anyone on the depth chart to find out.

I have really loved what I’ve seen from Forrest. He should be getting more minutes if anything. I don’t think anyone thinks NAW is going to become our 6th man this year or something. He’s a good prospect to take a flier on in my opinion especially when the cost is so low.

I mean if Boston had a Rudy Gobert, I think their last 5 years goes a lot differently. Rudy is a unique player. There isn't anyone else like him in the NBA.

You're preaching to the choir, I'm one of the biggest Gobert fans around...I'm just not sure Ainge thinks that way. He seems to be all about wings and guards.

I have really loved what I’ve seen from Forrest. He should be getting more minutes if anything. I don’t think anyone thinks NAW is going to become our 6th man this year or something. He’s a good prospect to take a flier on in my opinion especially when the cost is so low.
If that’s how we’re looking at it then I’m alright with that. But I have my doubts it’ll be that clear-cut and either way it’s gonna look like garnish for at least a while on a salary dump.

I think I’m done talking about this for now.

If that’s how we’re looking at it then I’m alright with that. But I have my doubts it’ll be that clear-cut and either way it’s gonna look like garnish for at least a while on a salary dump.

I think I’m done talking about this for now.

I hope he proves everyone wrong and I know you won’t be upset at that. We can leave it at that.

The point about Shaq or anyone else not being good isn’t true point. The point is showing that we’re trying to address an issue. I even qualify that by saying we could fall flat doing so. Even last year I said that I’d be fine if we gave Forrest the Oni role. It’s great that he’s looked good during this stretch, but if we didn’t have COVID and injuries, none of this would have happened. We’d be doing the same **** come hell or high water. If a guy forgets it’s his mom’s birthday and ends up calling her to ask about something else but finds out it’s her birthday in the process, he doesn’t get points for being an awesome son even if he plays it off. I’m sorry.

And for what it’s worth on Udoh, he left because he didn’t get playing time. If you’re offering him the spot behind Gobert, the money would be irrelevant, also (especially when you consider how many millions and assets we sunk on that spot). Udoh was making $3.3M in China. The two years he was with us we paid him $3.2M and $3.4M. But Udoh wasn’t the point. The point is that many people here create a straw man, as if we’re pissed that we didn’t trade for Thybulle or Smart (hell I mostly advocated against Smart). I bring up Udoh as a reference that what I’m gauging this on is evidence of our effort to recognize a problem and address it, and not constant bitching that we didn’t land some savior piece.

We put forth a lot of effort to drop salary, though. Imagine if a smidge of that focus and effort could have actually been on improving the team.
Some of this I get. Why would we have given Forrest Oni's role last year? Oni was playing great defense in his limited minutes and hitting the three. Exactly what we needed, it didnt end up panning out but we were trying to get him to be that player. This year we have been trying Forrest all season in limited stints and he has played well since early. He is getting more of a chance now and improving. It is promising.

Udoh was making tax free money, getting playing time, having his food and house paid for and really enjoying it. I saw it reported in the 6.5 million range since he was at the time the highest paid CBA player ever and the CBA foreigner cap is7 million. But I am pretty sure they dont release the numbers for the foreign players in the CBA, so its all guesses. But I assume higher than 3.3M since Spain offered him 4-5M that year. But I definitely could be wrong. He didnt want to be a backup. He was hoping for more. He has expressed that. Udoh has hinted the Jazz offered him to stay and he wasn't interested. Maybe if we had dumped Favors and offered him a much bigger role and more money he might have stayed. The year Favors was gone we realized how valuable that spot is for us and we tried to fix it. That was an overpay. I get the frustration with a lot of it though, which I think is your point and not a specific player or choice.

I mean we did bring in players to improve the team in the playoffs. Whether they work out or not. We are also developing players to fill what are needs. It might not be enough, or it might have been the wrong choice. But that does not mean we have done nothing.

I am accepting the idea now that the new owner is wanting to win but not at a cost of luxury tax or paying too much. Like most owners he probably just wants to be competitive to keep fans in the seats and make the playoffs to keep hopes up. I am still pretty hopeful for this year. But it wont be too bummed if it doesn't work out.