What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Read above. Us getting Holiday wasn’t specifically my point. It’s an example of something available that requires you to have the capital.
Eh, if we want a player that only costs 2nd round picks we can just snag em up from the g league. If all we got to do is give up 2nd for a dude then dude probably aint any good.

I have seen jazz buy 2nd rounders before. I have seen 2nd rounders thrown around like garbage too. Probably because they aint worth much. We got house without a second rounder. Ingles. Royce. wes matthews. etc etc.

The crying over 2nd rounders is entertaining though so I say we should keep getting rid of them to offload salary for that reason alone ;)
Ehh. I don’t think it’s that entertaining, unless watching your team piss away opportunities is entertaining. 2nds absolutely have value or they wouldn’t be required to dump salary. I would rather have the eight they sent out and the lightly-protected 1st and what players those assets actually become.

The jazz GM's are way dumber than any fan. Thats why the jazz franchise has sucked for so long. I wish our GM would hold onto 2nd round picks like the T-wolves gm did. Then we could be as good of a franchise as they are. They have 3 2nd round picks in the next draft! They could basically get whatever they want with those assets! Man they are lucky.

If we would have just kept our second rounders instead of trading them with ingles then we probably could have acquired a player the caliber of someone like NAW or House! Imagine how could we could be with one of those players or even both! Too bad we dont have those awesome rare and extremely valuable 2nd round picks though. I guess we wont be able to acquire the jeremy grant or harrison barnes caliber player that could have taken over the top now. Crap.

I have seen jazz buy 2nd rounders before. I have seen 2nd rounders thrown around like garbage too. Probably because they aint worth much. We got house without a second rounder. Ingles. Royce. wes matthews. etc etc.

The crying over 2nd rounders is entertaining though so I say we should keep getting rid of them to offload salary for that reason alone ;)
I ain't mad that we gave second rounders this year... there really wasn't any executed trades that made a lot of sense for us.

But you are misunderstanding a super basic concept... if there is a deal you can do using a couple second round picks you can't buy those picks at the trade deadline... On draft night they trade for cash and great... buy some then.

There are lots of deals that got done using second round picks in prior years that got more than just G leaguers. The sacramento, milwaukee, detroit deal used seconds. Again I'm good because I'm a believer in House.

We aren't crying over second rounders... the combo of using second rounders and taking on less money are assets that if combined can get back real players. For instance if we use Joe Ingles and another salary and like 2-3 second round picks it might be enough to land Gary Harris... who is as close to a perfect fit as we can find. That requires us taking additional salary on which costs money and it would require us to have the seconds... that we didn't have.

The other issue with buying seconds is you only have $5M a year you can use per year in trades. So use it on draft night and it isn't available to do other deals.

Management is likely really smart dudes but they have to take direction and take into account what ownership wants to do... so its not that those deals aren't there... its that they might not be available given the constraints ownership has placed.

Its wild that if you say something negative you are a whining bitch... we have to love everything management does or we are dumb ****s. Well this dumb **** wouldn't have spent a first on Doke or signed Favs to a full MLE... that right there would save us two firsts and a bunch of damn headaches. All of these are things I said at the time... no revisionist history. So those guys might be smarter than me but the do stupid ****.

I look forward to this exact same discussion with the exact same posters next season. And the season after and the season after.......

I look forward to this exact same discussion with the exact same posters next season. And the season after and the season after.......
It is interesting 90% ppl here was exiced about getting Marcus Smart and he is solving what? He is not pf or wing defender. Other guy was Barnes and u had to give bojan plus god knows what else and u getting same player who don't know system and he will be 30 in 2 months. U get guy who was first round pick and it cost us expiring deal. I really don't know is he gonna be good or not but it is worth a look

He sure puts alot of arc on his three ball.
Im pretty certain he will at least be as productive as joe ingles this season.

I think people are going to look back at this trade and conclude that Portland made a mistake moving NAW. It's like when they traded Gary Trent Jr. for Norm Powell, only to more or less dump Powell a year later.

I ain't mad that we gave second rounders this year... there really wasn't any executed trades that made a lot of sense for us.

But you are misunderstanding a super basic concept... if there is a deal you can do using a couple second round picks you can't buy those picks at the trade deadline... On draft night they trade for cash and great... buy some then.

There are lots of deals that got done using second round picks in prior years that got more than just G leaguers. The sacramento, milwaukee, detroit deal used seconds. Again I'm good because I'm a believer in House.

We aren't crying over second rounders... the combo of using second rounders and taking on less money are assets that if combined can get back real players. For instance if we use Joe Ingles and another salary and like 2-3 second round picks it might be enough to land Gary Harris... who is as close to a perfect fit as we can find. That requires us taking additional salary on which costs money and it would require us to have the seconds... that we didn't have.

The other issue with buying seconds is you only have $5M a year you can use per year in trades. So use it on draft night and it isn't available to do other deals.

Management is likely really smart dudes but they have to take direction and take into account what ownership wants to do... so its not that those deals aren't there... its that they might not be available given the constraints ownership has placed.

Its wild that if you say something negative you are a whining bitch... we have to love everything management does or we are dumb ****s. Well this dumb **** wouldn't have spent a first on Doke or signed Favs to a full MLE... that right there would save us two firsts and a bunch of damn headaches. All of these are things I said at the time... no revisionist history. So those guys might be smarter than me but the do stupid ****.
We got 2 first round pick from this trade im not sure ppl understand this. They can be bust but if one is good it is jackpot