What's new

Trade deadline discussion

That scenario would explain how the Jazz are asking for picks with Marcus Smart.

Jazz get really thin at forward and lose high scoring on terrific volume and spacing that really grease the wheels of the offense.

If they can somehow dig out Harrison Barnes then it’s something but I doubt that very much. Smart and JC (and Donovan, and Conley) vying for minutes is straight hot garbage.
You have to move JC as well or move Schroeder to a third team… otherwise no thanks.

That scenario would explain how the Jazz are asking for picks with Marcus Smart.

Jazz get really thin at forward and lose high scoring on terrific volume and spacing that really grease the wheels of the offense.

If they can somehow dig out Harrison Barnes then it’s something but I doubt that very much. Smart and JC and Schroeder (and Donovan!) vying for shots and minutes is straight hot garbage.
If the Jazz can do this trade and get Smart then do another deal to get Jerami Grant or Harrison Barnes, then good deal. Without getting Boston's 1st in the Bogey deal, I don't see how we do that.

So what about...

Bogey for Smart, Schroder, two 2nd rounders
then
JC for Thad Young

Our PF position could be played by Gay, Thad Young, Joe Ingles, Royce and Paschall

Does anyone think Royce would start for any team in the league other than us?

I think he's a natural bench player that only logs minutes for us because we've been so tone deaf and deficient to get a proper stretch 4. The FO is too busy giving away picks or drafting bigs who can't shoot outside of three feet.
Yeah... lots of teams need a guy like that as a starter... don't get hung up on the label... he'd be playing 30 minutes a night on almost all the contenders. Just because he's a low volume guy doesn't mean he shouldn't start or isn't valuable.

So what about...

Bogey for Smart, Schroder, two 2nd rounders
then
JC for Thad Young

Our PF position could be played by Gay, Thad Young, Joe Ingles, Royce and Paschall
I don't think SA would want JC... lots of guards there and they aren't necessarily trying to win.

Here is one I baked up:

Utah trades: Bogey, JC, and we amend our pick protections on the OKC pick make it top 4 protected.
Utah gets: Smart, Kenrich williams and boatloads of tax savings.

Boston trades: Smart, Nesmith, couple second rounders
Boston gets: Bogey

NO trades: Sato
NO Gets: JC
Not sure they want him but some scoring punch would be nice. Depends on them prioritizing winning over playing Walker-Alexander

OKC trades: Kenny Hustle
OKC Gets: Sato, Nesmith, pick protections amended, 2nds from boston

They at like $20M under the floor... that isn't a huge issue but that means you pay $20M out to the players at end of the year... If they take on $20M in salary and get some draft capital or young guys they actually save money because they pay the players their prorated salary but reach the salary floor... so they save $10M in actual cash. This may be an old rule and the loophole may have been closed... but either way they can pay $20M for players and assets or they can pay $20M to their current players and get no benefit other than some happy employees.

Yeah... lots of teams need a guy like that as a starter... don't get hung up on the label... he'd be playing 30 minutes a night on almost all the contenders. Just because he's a low volume guy doesn't mean he shouldn't start or isn't valuable.
If Jae Crowder can start for the Suns, Royce could probably start for them too. It would just have to be the right situation.

Does anyone think Royce would start for any team in the league other than us?

I think he's a natural bench player that only logs minutes for us because we've been so tone deaf and deficient to get a proper stretch 4. The FO is too busy giving away picks or drafting bigs who can't shoot outside of three feet.
He fits in really well with any lineup, starting or otherwise, that has high usage players. So he would probably start on a lot of teams.

If Jae Crowder can start for the Suns, Royce could probably start for them too. It would just have to be the right situation.
Add PJ Tucker, Kevon Looney, Danny Green on a bunch of teams... Brooklyn generally starts one low volume guy... its a super dumb argument. He is easily a 25-30 minute a night player on almost any playoff team... who cares if he is a "starter".

This is floating out there. If the Jazz were to move Bogdanovic, they'd need a starting-caliber, 2-way wing c. oming back. Hence, I think this would have to be a 3-team trade with a guy like Harrison Barnes coming back.

Yes, I'm a huge Smart Homer, but we can't trade Bogey without getting another starting forward back, and I don't think we can take on Smart if Clarkson is still here.

I'm liking the trade ideas in the thread addressing those issues, but unfortunately none seem realistic.

I don't think SA would want JC... lots of guards there and they aren't necessarily trying to win.

Here is one I baked up:

Utah trades: Bogey, JC, and we amend our pick protections on the OKC pick make it top 4 protected.
Utah gets: Smart, Kenrich williams and boatloads of tax savings.

Boston trades: Smart, Nesmith, couple second rounders
Boston gets: Bogey

NO trades: Sato
NO Gets: JC
Not sure they want him but some scoring punch would be nice. Depends on them prioritizing winning over playing Walker-Alexander

OKC trades: Kenny Hustle
OKC Gets: Sato, Nesmith, pick protections amended, 2nds from boston

They at like $20M under the floor... that isn't a huge issue but that means you pay $20M out to the players at end of the year... If they take on $20M in salary and get some draft capital or young guys they actually save money because they pay the players their prorated salary but reach the salary floor... so they save $10M in actual cash. This may be an old rule and the loophole may have been closed... but either way they can pay $20M for players and assets or they can pay $20M to their current players and get no benefit other than some happy employees.
I'm not familiar enough with Williams. Could a Williams and Gay rotation at the 4 be competitive enough?

Yes, I'm a huge Smart Homer, but we can't trade Bogey without getting another starting forward back, and I don't think we can take on Smart if Clarkson is still here.

I'm liking the trade ideas in the thread addressing those issues, but unfortunately none seem realistic.
Bojan, JC, Hassan OUT

Smart, Richardson, Barnes IN

Pickup some guy off the scrap heap to be tall and play sometimes. But generally, we’re forced to play small-ball (EP!) or develop Dok. (Unless you can sign Marc Gasol at which point do it.)

There’s obviously three (almost certainly more) teams and some picks flying around. That’s as much effort as I wanna put into it.

I really don't want Rudy being the only starter over 6'5", Smart would help a lot but this is a bad idea.

Bojan, JC, Hassan OUT

Smart, Richardson, Barnes IN

Pickup some guy off the scrap heap to be tall and play sometimes. But generally, we’re forced to play small-ball (EP!) or develop Dok. (Unless you can sign Marc Gasol at which point do it.)

There’s obviously three (almost certainly more) teams and some picks flying around. That’s as much effort as I wanna put into it.

How are we getting Barnes here?

I wonder if SAS would be interest in Clarkson, or if we could involve another team to get Thad.

I’m not concerned about size if we traded Bogey for Smart. I would trust Smart to trust Embiid more than I would Bogey. The way they play matters more than their actual height. Having said that, I do see the concern with size. I just think it already exists with Bogey as he provides little to no big man value to begin with.

I'm not familiar enough with Williams. Could a Williams and Gay rotation at the 4 be competitive enough?
I think so… you also mix in Royce there some. You can play Smart, Don, Conley together some… might be the best closing lineup. I’d rather keep Bogey and I think if we trade him for Smart they set their sights higher than Williams but I think we’d all fall in love with Kenny Hustle in like 2-3 games.

I actually do like Shroeder in place of JC for the record. He's a better player on both ends and can be an offensive engine if we're saving legs for Ingles and Conley. The problem is that you know he's only a rental, but we might want to be clear of JC's money anyways.

UTA Out: Bogdanovic, Clarkson, Dok
UTA In: Smart, Shroeder, Thad

BOS OUT: Smart, Shroeder
BOS In: Bogdanovic

NOP OUT: Satoransky, 2nd(s)
NOP IN: Clarkson

SAS OUT: Thad
SAS IN: Satoransky, 2nd(s), Dok