What's new

Trade deadline discussion

If this is going to work, Donovan needs to be the only negative defender on the floor. This is a challenge though because Bogi and Mike are treading water in a lot of their matchups.

The lineups with Donovan and Clarkson on the floor together may be a lost cause defensively.
This is what I have been saying for years now.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

BTW listened to the Duncan podcast today with Jake L Fisher. Said the Jazz were stoked about House and glad to get him for free. Said we'd love to get Grant but don't have the goods. He also said we are definitely willing to part with Ingles and a pick for an upgrade but doesn't see a logical upgrade out there.

I don't think there's any way Danny Ainge lets his first trade deadline with the Jazz pass without doing something. There's been a lot of smoke around a package of Joe and a first round pick, so that's likely the move. I have a bad feeling we're going to be disappointed in what we get in return.

What if we lost the coin toss to celtics and drafted smart instead of exum?

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app
celtics will take smart at #5 if that's the case. even if Celtics take exum, we will take someone else like stauskas or vonleh cuz smart refused to workout for us

the bigger "if" would be trading josh hart and thomas bryant for Tony bradley.

He's been rough lately... and sometimes its tough for us to remember back further than a few games. I do think he needs to be the second best perimeter defender and not used as a "stopper". That is more on Quin.

House looks solid on that end and I think could help the rotation without gumming up the spacing. We just need that point of attack guy or that big time disruptive force to add to this group imo. Honestly a lot of the changes that need to be made are Quin things.

There was one stupid possession last night where Conley got ripped and Saben Lee took it for a dunk. We need some of that energy... then the ball handler can't relax. Guys can dance and just be super chill with our perimeter guys on them... no one gets worried until they see Rudy at the rim... once you remove Rudy from the rim.... its just all over.

We haven't figured out two things:

1- How to keep Rudy at the rim without surrendering wide *** open shots.
2- How to have some level of resistance when Rudy is not at the rim.

It's effort, it's personnel, it's coaching... I don't think we have answers to any of them honestly.
the issue is simple. have your player stay in front of his man when guarding. it solves everything. any defense would be in a scramble mode whenever the opposition player with the ball just blows by your man. and we are allowing it to happen on every ****ing possession.

the issue is simple. have your player stay in front of his man when guarding. it solves everything. any defense would be in a scramble mode whenever the opposition player with the ball just blows by your man. and we are allowing it to happen on every ****ing possession.
It looked like we were playing D with five Jimmers on the floor in the second half last night.

There used to be an obsession about, “can this guys be the best player on a championship team”. I’m glad that’s faded out…but sometimes the simplest things are the most telling.

Take a look at all the recent champions. They don’t just have one DPOY player and a bunch of buns, they typically have a DPOY player surrounded with high level, all defense type players. The one recent exception would probably be LeBron’s Cavs

Bucks - Giannis, Jrue, Lopez, Tucker
Lakers - AD, Playoff LeBron, Caruso, Green
Raptors - Kawhi, Gasol, Lowry, Green
Warriors - Draymond, Igoudala, Klay, Durant
Spurs - Kawhi, Duncan, Green, Splitter

These teams are absolutely stacked on defense. For the Jazz…we have Gobert. He may be the greatest of all time, but front there we have to squint our eyes to see any of players as good defenders in any situation. Royce is considered a good defender simply by proxy lol.
-these teams have 3-4 2way players.
-durant,lebron, AD, Duncan are rare breeds of talent And size.
-Lowry is just 6'0, conley size but he's badass
-these teams are built to defend and dominate

how about us?

I could picture something like this actually happening. The Celtics apparently like Ingles. Kuzma gives us a 3D forward who rebounds. He's been playing well, and he literally has Utah mountains tattooed on his back. Wizards have a logjam and want to give minutes to Rui and Deni. Jazz likely throw in a 2RP and/or a young player.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y57tto44
I think Richardson would be a better fit here, I’d rather just cut WAS out of the deal.

I am back and forth on Kuzma. I do think he would bring a good energy to the team. However, any trade for him would have to include Either Bogey or Gay. Ingles is our backup PG.

Last edited:
Royce is way too disrespected on here constantly. Yes, he's not a lockdown defender. HE's still a great defender and one of the more versatile defenders in the NBA.

He isnt Gerald ****ing Green.

Lol. He wouldn't start on any other contending team. He would come off the bench and be the truly good energy player he really is.

Great defender? He was awful in the Denver and Clippers series. He makes plays, has had some really good games, but overall not a "great" defender. Versatile sure.