What's new

Trade down

Growlor

If the Jazz wanted to keep our bigs and guards in place they could trade down a couple of spots and get a good sf.
If they went down to the 8 or 9 spot assume both D McDermott and A Gordon are both available. Who do you take?

I'm not too versed in trade scenarios, but since defense is so important to us why not just stand pat at #5 and draft Aaron Gordon? Then trade Alec Burks to get a verified, two-season, 44% 3-pt. shooter in Nik Stauskas? Nik is the real deal. He's tall for his position at 6'6", is a great ball-handler and passer, and could become the best shooter in the NBA. He also would fit in quickly since he was Burke's teammate at Michigan.

https://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/sixers-draft-target-sg-nik-stauskas

We'd have:

Favors
Gordon
Hayward
Stauskas
Burke

At #5 we can get Vonleh, Gordon, or Exum... I don't want to choose between McDermott, Stauskas (who I really like), and Randle. It would have to be a lot and I don't think the teams behind us have much to offer.

If the Jazz wanted to keep our bigs and guards in place they could trade down a couple of spots and get a good sf.
If they went down to the 8 or 9 spot assume both D McDermott and A Gordon are both available. Who do you take?
Don't think Gordon will be there at 8 and McDermott is a tweener. If the goal is to move down for a SF, I'm not sure that can happen. We're better off looking for a SF at #23, maybe McDaniels or Anderson.

I'm not too versed in trade scenarios, but since defense is so important to us why not just stand pat at #5 and draft Aaron Gordon? Then trade Alec Burks to get a verified, two-season, 44% 3-pt. shooter in Nik Stauskas? Nik is the real deal. He's tall for his position at 6'6", is a great ball-handler and passer, and could become the best shooter in the NBA. He also would fit in quickly since he was Burke's teammate at Michigan.

https://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/sixers-draft-target-sg-nik-stauskas

We'd have:

Favors
Gordon
Hayward
Stauskas
Burke

Defense is our problem and you want Stauskas?

I would only trade down if A) We can't trade into the top-3 B) We receive a trade offer so good we can't refuse it.

You could get the #8 from Sacramento if you are willing to clear their cap headache. The people on their board would do Burke + #23 plus us taking on Landry and Thompson (and possibly Terry) for the #8 all day long. I would suspect that you could even negotiate on replacing Burke with someone else, should Exum not fall to #5. They are really, REALLY tired of being handicapped salary wise. . .

I'd still take Randle over Gordon. People are looking at Gordon's lack of skills and they think he just oozes potential. They look at Randle's beastly production against double and triple teams and they harp on certain things he didn't do. The idea that Gordon would go ahead of Randle is just strange. It's like Randle is now the guy people love to hate.

I'd still take Randle over Gordon. People are looking at Gordon's lack of skills and they think he just oozes potential. They look at Randle's beastly production against double and triple teams and they harp on certain things he didn't do. The idea that Gordon would go ahead of Randle is just strange. It's like Randle is now the guy people love to hate.
Based on college production, McDermott should be the #1 player drafted because he's going to set all kinds of scoring records in the NBA. Nope. You base it on how a player "projects" into his position against NBA-level talent. Randle isn't a "beast" in the NBA. He's an average size PF with a short wingspan who isn't going to be able to "bully" his way to points like did at UK. On the other hand, Gordon is viewed as being a very good defender who would be taller than most opponents IF he can play SF. Granted, there are concerns over his offense, which is why he isn't in the same category as the tier-1 players.

Based on college production, McDermott should be the #1 player drafted because he's going to set all kinds of scoring records in the NBA. Nope. You base it on how a player "projects" into his position against NBA-level talent. Randle isn't a "beast" in the NBA. He's an average size PF with a short wingspan who isn't going to be able to "bully" his way to points like did at UK. On the other hand, Gordon is viewed as being a very good defender who would be taller than most opponents IF he can play SF. Granted, there are concerns over his offense, which is why he isn't in the same category as the tier-1 players.

Preach.

Gordon is going to be able to stay on the floor for 30+ minutes a night. Julius won't be able to.

would much rather draft McDermott than Randle. Might as well go balls2thewall if we make a dumb pick.

Both Exum and Vonleh are going to be allstars someday. Not a good idea imo.

You could get the #8 from Sacramento if you are willing to clear their cap headache. The people on their board would do Burke + #23 plus us taking on Landry and Thompson (and possibly Terry) for the #8 all day long. I would suspect that you could even negotiate on replacing Burke with someone else, should Exum not fall to #5. They are really, REALLY tired of being handicapped salary wise. . .

No not another GS trade ... let's have a fresh team and outlook