What's new

Trade Gobert Discussion

Depends what we get. If it's an offer too good to pass up, do it.

But chances are that won't happen, unless Rudy demands a trade. If he's unhappy with the team and the front office sees it and feels he won't resign then yes, they could well trade him, though my gut says no.

I can say right now we're not getting Luka for Rudy. Dallas isn't going to trade their franchise player who's one of the best players in the league and hasn't yet reached his ceiling. We could likely get a lower-tier all-star and some picks/solid players.

Gobert would be undervalued by every other team.

If you really want to have this (silly) conversation. Than the play is to completely fleece the Knicks by letting them bring Mitchell to MSG.

1. He's our best player and the least of our problems.
2. Who would we get that would make us better? Who could we land that would right this **** show?
3. You could (not necessarily should) make a much stronger argument to trade Mitchell. He'd have some real value that would get you a return.

Seems crazy to trade DM, since we still don't know what he will ultimately be. Rudy, on the other hand, we know pretty much what he is, and he is on a great contract. I think that is why he would be the one to trade... right?

But all of this is very premature because Conley may still turn it around. We are only 20 games in. I think it's much better than 50-50 he gets it going. Maybe let him play with the 2nd unit? start RXum and let Conley hog the ball with the bench till he gets it figured out.

The FO really blew this one. We still have the same issue: No modern day PF. Last year we had two C’s and this year we have C and a SF.

I said it last year and I’ll say it again: We should have kept Favors and traded Rudy. We also should have traded Joe after the playoffs when we all saw he lost a step.

Should have made DM the PG.

Should have gone hard at a SG like Klay Thompson, or a PF like Blake Griffin.

Not sure what Rudy could have gotten us - and now that we lost Favors I think we have to keep him. But losing so much depth for Conley is killing us. Conley does not fit our timeline.

Our bench is non existent.

Trading Rudy is something that needs to be considered, but not this year. He's eligible for a supermax,
and there's no way he's worth/they can afford $200mill+ for him. Not to mention if they can afford giant
contracts for both he and Mitchell. I think Rudy can definitely be a centerpiece on a title-contending team. Mitchell has the potential to be as well. The question will be if the Jazz can put together a team built to contend around him and Mitchell.

There are 4 questions that need to be answered:

1. Can the Jazz contend after next year, especially playing in the West?
2. Can the Jazz pay both Rudy and Mitchell, and still build a contender around them?
3. If either question is no, who is more important to keep between Rudy and Mitchell?
4. If you can only keep one of Rudy and Mitchell, who gets the best return in a trade?

This year will determine where the team is at. If Conley continues to suck, we're toast. Even if he turns it around, he's 34 at the end of his contract. If the ceiling is still a second-round team, then it's time to rethink things.

We need to get used to the idea of stars leaving, and we can't be sentimental about players we love. We didn't think Hayward would bail when we should have assumed he would, and we got screwed. We burned a ton of assets trying to keep him happy with George Hill, Rubio, etc. Making the same mistake again would be a disaster. They played the Deron situation right; if either Rudy or Mitchell are going, that needs to happen again. The key is to be prepared for the worst, and maximize the return if it happens, as Indiana and Oklahoma did with Paul George, and Westbrook.

Reevaluate at the end of the year. Don't panic now.

Last edited:
Rudy is a very good player, but giving him 60 M per year ... sorry, it´s crazy. Rudy needs a team that helps him to bright in offense. Since he´s earning this amount, won´t be much money to build around him. Of course is not an easy situation but sometimes you have to cut one leg to save a life.

If the Jazz want to compete now, they have Mitchell, Bogdanovic and Gobert as a core. That's pretty good. Conley can contribute for 25 mins/night (though I'd give Mitchell significant minutes at the 1 and make Conley the de facto backup, even if he has to start for the sake of appearances).

The Jazz need an athletic forward with size. They need someone who looks like Jeff Green, but who rebounds, defends and plays with toughness. That's what they're missing. Jazz are playing Royce and Ingles as though they're PFs, and they're not really.

The Jazz are basically stuck with this team until the end of next season so they’ll have to figure it out. We went all in to win now and while there’s a lot of games left to play, it’s clear we are not a contender right now.

Conley will no doubt take his player option for 34m, he’d be crazy not to. As an expiring contract, he is a trade piece to a degree, but more likely next year.

Not addressing a true stretch four yet again will continue to plague us.

200.webp

Trading Rudy is something that needs to be considered, but not this year. He's eligible for a supermax,
and there's no way he's worth/they can afford $200mill+ for him. Not to mention if they can afford giant
contracts for both he and Mitchell. I think Rudy can definitely be a centerpiece on a title-contending team. Mitchell has the potential to be as well. The question will be if the Jazz can put together a team built to contend around him and Mitchell.

There are 4 questions that need to be answered:

1. Can the Jazz contend after next year, especially playing in the West?
2. Can the Jazz pay both Rudy and Mitchell, and still build a contender around them?
3. If either question is no, who is more important to keep between Rudy and Mitchell?
4. If you can only keep one of Rudy and Mitchell, who gets the best return in a trade?

This year will determine where the team is at. If Conley continues to suck, we're toast. Even if he turns it around, he's 34 at the end of his contract. If the ceiling is still a second-round team, then it's time to rethink things.

We need to get used to the idea of stars leaving, and we can't be sentimental about players we love. We didn't think Hayward would bail when we should have assumed he would, and we got screwed. We burned a ton of assets trying to keep him happy with George Hill, Rubio, etc. Making the same mistake again would be a disaster. They played the Deron situation right; if either Rudy or Mitchell are going, that needs to happen again. The key is to be prepared for the worst, and maximize the return if it happens, as Indiana and Oklahoma did with Paul George, and Westbrook.

Reevaluate at the end of the year. Don't panic now.
Good post

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, this is not something to seriously consider for at least a month if not the off-season.

I don't know if Rudy is happy. Hell, a couple weeks into the season, he was already publicly complaining about touches. We know how competitive he is for both team and personal accolades.

We simply cannot lose another all star calibur player for nothing. We are idiots if we allow that to happen.

1. He is our best player right now. Will he when we have to re-sign him in 2021?

2. It's not about who we get as much as something rather than nothing. OKC didn't want to lose Russ, but they got something. They cashed in.

3. Donovan is untouchable. He is the face of the franchise and unlike any young player we have ever had.

Damn, If we're gonna trade Rudy I'm all about trading Donovan right along with him. I don't see Donovan as untouchable at all. I mean in the context of a situation where we're trading Rudy.

If I had to pick one to keep, I keep Rudy (the first MF'R who links my Gobert thread needs to know I'm emotional and when I lash out I don't lash out at the low hanging fruit). Rudy Gobert is this team. Donovan is the rental in that scenario.

If you want to cash in don't do it on undervalued defense. Do it on inefficient offense. ****ing hell, are you even a real Jazz fan?

so the idea is to embrace the tank ?

if it is, problably would be the case to ship Jingles, Bogey, Conley and Donovan too, not just Gobert

Gobert might not push for the supermax even if he has earned it. If his priority and goal is to win, then he will probably be willing to negotiate a reasonable pay cut to leave room for talent. However contracts for deadweight players such as Exum must be reexamined and scrutinized and significantly downgraded (Also Conley's) for this to be feasible.