What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

it-was-you-surprised.gif

Lol, the Clippers series made me question lots of things and killed any optimism I would have had.
I had hope beginning of season and was like “here’s something… and something is better than nothing right?”

Even if we are rebuilding I wouldn’t trade him unless I got something… definitely not buying him out. He will play hard and set an example… if you got a good offer move him now or mid season. I could see him getting a first for a team that needs help because of injury or something
If we are rebuilding, I would be rebuilding the value for all of those players. Beasley was once thought of as a valuable piece. In a rebuild... all you have is time... both literal and playing. You don't have to rush anything and you don't have to sell low on anybody. If they don't currently have high value - try to rehabilitate their value and sell them down the road to a contender.

If Royce got a 1st then Beverley definitely could.
Ainge has a talent for squeezing something out of nothing. I think he must be able to talk with other GMs and have them open up. He probably obsesses over every little detail. And he probably evaluates every player quickly like a OCD patient. Or he has a talented support team.

Last edited:
If we are rebuilding, I would be rebuilding the value for all of those players. Beasley was once thought of as a valuable piece. In a rebuild... all you have is time... both literal and playing. You don't have to rush anything and you don't have to sell low on anybody. If they don't currently have high value - try to rehabilitate their value and sell them down the road to a contender.
OKC mode

At a minimum, if the Jazz replaced Mitchell and Gobert with Simmons and Ayton, while cutting salary and acquiring 7+ 1st-rd picks, it would be viewed as some impressive GM'ing. Jazz would also get younger and a bit bigger.

There's also an argument that Mitchell is really an undersized 2-guard and not really a point guard. Call it the CJ McCollum argument.

At a minimum, if the Jazz replaced Mitchell and Gobert with Simmons and Ayton, while cutting salary and acquiring 7+ 1st-rd picks, it would be viewed as some impressive GM'ing. Jazz would also get younger and a bit bigger.

There's also an argument that Mitchell is really an undersized 2-guard and not really a point guard. Call it the CJ McCollum argument.
Ayton/Simmons as the two that have to build the culture going forward. What could go wrong?

I had hope beginning of season and was like “here’s something… and something is better than nothing right?”
Yeah, we were looking at it from 2 different points. I needed to be convinced and watching games felt like a chore at times. I think I called the 20-21 season "championship or bust" and when the season ended the way it did, I soured a lot on basketball seeing they came back and played less enthusiastically. I turned to European basketball and had way more fun. I am just ready to be free from it all.

I think there’s a lot of fans in here that are taking for granted how unpleasant a ground up rebuild really is. As a fan, it’s so hard to stay engaged for the full 82 games of multiple 20 win seasons.

Not only that, get ready to spend our offseasons praying that we draft players that are at least as good as what we just had in Donovan and Rudy and then hoping that if we’re able to develop them, that they just don’t turn around and leave us high and dry once they become valuable NBA assets.

I’m not saying a full rebuild can’t work, but they’re really awful to live through and it just seems to keep Utah on the same hamster wheel that we’ve been in since John and Karl.

The whole CJ McCollum argument is overrated.

Curry is an undersized 2-guard who always looks to shoot first. But he still wins his teams 4 championships. Similarly Jrue isn't your prototypical PG but he's won Bucks their first chip in over 40 years in his first season.

****, we've have the Lakers starting Alex ****ing Caruso as their PG and won the chip.

Stockton and Paul are the two greatest pure PGs in history and what have they won in their career.

We have Danny Ainge even going on TV to say the Celtics made the jump this year because they moved away from the idea of having a PG running the floor which allowed Tatum/Brown/Smart to thrive.

And BTW, the key reason the Pels were able to make the playoffs was acquiring CJ and have him run as their pseudo PG.

Sure CJ doesn't have the "floor-generalness" of a traditional PG but his scoring ability made things easier for Ingram/Herb/valanciunas and they really made Suns work in that first round series.

The whole CJ McCollum argument is overrated.

Curry is an undersized 2-guard who always looks to shoot first. But he still wins his teams 4 championships. Similarly Jrue isn't your prototypical PG but he's won Bucks their first chip in over 40 years in his first season.

****, we've have the Lakers starting Alex ****ing Caruso as their PG and won the chip.

Stockton and Paul are the two greatest pure PGs in history and what have they won in their career.

We have Danny Ainge even going on TV to say the Celtics made the jump this year because they moved away from the idea of having a PG running the floor which allowed Tatum/Brown/Smart to thrive.

I'd argue that Steph is more natural at running an offense than Mitchell. He's also a very rare player that's nearly impossible to replicate.

I'd also argue that Lebron is really the PG for the Lakers. He has the ball in his hands at least 80% of the time, and certainly in key situations.

The Jazz don't have a triple-threat wing who can create on the ball right now. If we did, we'd be in an entirely different situation.

What if I told you Rudy exposed his teammates and innocent reporters to a deadly virus because he's insensitive.
I would say that unless the succeeding players touched or licked the microphones, Gobert's touching them wouldn't spread an infection.

He was still wrong for that level of callousness, but let's be truthful about it.

I'd argue that Steph is more natural at running an offense than Mitchell. He's also a very rare player that's nearly impossible to replicate.

I'd also argue that Lebron is really the PG for the Lakers. He has the ball in his hands at least 80% of the time, and certainly in key situations.

The Jazz don't have a triple-threat wing who can create on the ball right now. If we did, we'd be in an entirely different situation.
when we had Jingles in his prime and still traded for Conley anyways, which resulted in our own downfall.

it's a wings game nowadays and PGs are not necessarily the ones with main ballhandling/playmaking duty so saying Donovan can't the the PG for this reason is kinda BS

One issue is that the Jazz currently have 5 rotation guards in Mitchell, Conley, Clarkson, Beverley and Beasley (ignoring finding minutes for Butler). At least one of those pretty much has to be moved before the season starts.

Here is what I think is happening--there isn't a source who is coming out and saying this publicly, but this is just reading the tea leaves and follows what big reporters (Windhorst, MacMahon) are tip-toeing around. I think Mitchell asked for a trade before the draft. He named MIA and NYK as his preferred destinations. However, both the Jazz and CAA want to keep this quiet.

If people know that Mitchell requested a trade, the fans will be furious with him. Kids will be crying and people will burn their Mitchell jerseys. The fans made a big backlash against Hayward when he left in free agency. Mitchell wants out with 3 years left on his deal. It's just going to be ugly for Mitchell and CAA doesn't want that. The league doesn't want that. It's just a bad look all around.

If Ainge abruptly trades Mitchell, then people can say the Jazz are going in a different direction. Mitchell can say he has nothing but love and gratitude for Salt Lake and the Jazz. (Same as Dejounte Murray.) If people are angry they can blame Ainge for changing the direction without giving Mitchell a chance to run the team. Ainge will say, "It's sometimes hard to swallow, but this is what's best to try to bring a championship to Utah."

Jazz have been actively discussing Mitchell trades with MIA and NYK for the past 10 days. Then when KD asked out of BRK last week, the Jazz inserted themselves into those discussions as the team that could facilitate by providing a young All Star as compensation for KD going out. So between MIA, NYK and now BRK, Ainge is making a market for Mitchell.

If the Jazz don't get the offer they want, they can hold onto Mitchell into next season and put on a happy face for the fans. They'll say, "We are building this team around Mitchell." Then they can try again to move him at the trade deadline or next offseason.
I think you’re right… and I respect Mitchell for handling it in this manner. We will be MUCH better off this way rather than publicly demanding a trade or walking like Hayward did.

One issue is that the Jazz currently have 5 rotation guards in Mitchell, Conley, Clarkson, Beverley and Beasley (ignoring finding minutes for Butler). At least one of those pretty much has to be moved before the season starts.
IF we are rebuilding, I would assume some of those will be gone ... but also... IF we are rebuilding, nothing in the current roster construction matters. It's more about the long-term view.