What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I think the offer on the table is 3/40 and it’s a player option at year three. QO is like 7-8M. It’s a risk but I think he gets 3/40M offer next year even if this year goes poorly. He also almost surely leaves and it’s not a guarantee he stays there… they could move him.

I’m usually a take the money guy but in his situation If it’s 3/40 or QO I would say take the QO and we will get 4/80 or 4/100 next year on the market.

I just don’t view the current Cavs offer as a “we want to keep you and value you” type of offer. I think it’s a “we hope you sign this and become a valuable trade chip for us”.

I’d communicate a ton of interest now and say “look at all this space we have next year… remember us next summer if we can’t figure something else out now.”
He might not get those numbers though, especially if he gets hurt again. Then he's just going to start a 3/40 type contract a year later than he could have. Also, you can do 3 years then become a FA when the cap rises dramatically (is that 24 or 25?) If you do the QO now you are a free agent in 23, is he trying to sign a 4 year deal that will have him underpaid for the back half?

Just take the 3/40 w/ a player option and start your money making contract now, get out in 2024 (hope you get traded before that). Cleveland will put him in better spots. Hell they might be playing Ochai Abagi over him as the season progresses if he takes the QO.

I think Sexton is holding out hope something happens that makes a team want to get him.

Maybe he takes the QO but it's a huge risk. I would just take the guaranteed money on the table and try to get less years with a player option.

The QO means he wont get traded and will have to stay in Cleveland all year, and they might not be putting him in the best role to maximize his next contract.
All of this comes down to the Cavs, ultimately. They are giving him a totally dog **** offer and if they’re not willing to negotiate in good faith then I think it’s in Sexton’s best interest to seriously consider and definitely signal taking the QO. Either way, I don’t think bilking a player out of tens of millions of dollars is a great way to build a locker room.

They can try to manage him as a good asset on the court but they are rolling dice here. And I don’t think if they really value him that much that they roll dice like this.

Beasley (a guy who scored 20 ppg the same year that Sexton scored 24) and the Royce 1st is a much better proposition than rolling dice.

He might not get those numbers though, especially if he gets hurt again.
I think you are over-shooting the seriousness of his injury. He could’ve done the thing most players do with a meniscus tear and just cut it out arthroscopically and been back in a few weeks, but he decided to repair it and sit because that’s the wiser long term play.

That is not to say that there is no risk of injury now, I’m just saying I don’t think his risk is pronounced.

All of this comes down to the Cavs, ultimately. They are giving him a totally dog **** offer and if they’re not willing to negotiate in good faith then I think it’s in Sexton’s best interest to seriously consider and definitely signal taking the QO. Either way, I don’t think bilking a player out of tens of millions of dollars is a great way to build a locker room.

They can try to manage him as a good asset on the court but they are rolling dice here. And I don’t think if they really value him that much that they roll dice like this.

Beasley (a guy who scored 20 ppg the same year that Sexton scored 24) and the Royce 1st is a much better proposition than rolling dice.
It's probably not best practices, but they can do it and are seemingly successfully doing so. Sexton can be a negative moody dude all he wants, but in the end it's only going to hurt him.

And the dude hasnt even gotten an offer sheet from anyone and the team was dramatically better this past year despite him not being around. Every year he has played his on/off has been negative. He's a bad defender and is known as being a more "me first" guy. I think Cleveland is definitely squeezing him, but it's not a super dramatic squeeze. They have legitimate reason for not being all in on paying him the money he wants.

He might not get those numbers though, especially if he gets hurt again. Then he's just going to start a 3/40 type contract a year later than he could have. Also, you can do 3 years then become a FA when the cap rises dramatically (is that 24 or 25?) If you do the QO now you are a free agent in 23, is he trying to sign a 4 year deal that will have him underpaid for the back half?

Just take the 3/40 w/ a player option and start your money making contract now, get out in 2024 (hope you get traded before that). Cleveland will put him in better spots. Hell they might be playing Ochai Abagi over him as the season progresses if he takes the QO.
Its a risk... he'd at least find a minimum deal somewhere if something catastrophic happened. He'd be betting $30M but the upside is like a 4/$100M deal imo. I just think if 3/40 is all they will offer that a trade offer of like JC and the philly first or one of the protected firsts we get in the NY deal would likely get it done and land him something like 4/80M-ish.

It really depends on his life situation... off the court money (likely not a lot), etc. I would not blame him for taking the security for sure.

Its a risk... he'd at least find a minimum deal somewhere if something catastrophic happened. He'd be betting $30M but the upside is like a 4/$100M deal imo. I just think if 3/40 is all they will offer that a trade offer of like JC and the philly first or one of the protected firsts we get in the NY deal would likely get it done and land him something like 4/80M-ish.

It really depends on his life situation... off the court money (likely not a lot), etc. I would not blame him for taking the security for sure.
He has about 20 million in career earnings. His next contract would double that in 3 years if he took what you are saying is there.

I think it's just smart to secure that early career payday and get the ball moving towards the next contract. There's a reason almost no one takes the QO. I can't even remember the last guy who was seen as being a starter who took it. Maybe Greg Monroe. It worked out well for him, but Detroit also continued to play him just as much as they were prior. Sexton is almost guaranteed to be looking at a smaller role with less minutes.

He has about 20 million in career earnings. His next contract would double that in 3 years if he took what you are saying is there.

I think it's just smart to secure that early career payday and get the ball moving towards the next contract. There's a reason almost no one takes the QO. I can't even remember the last guy who was seen as being a starter who took it. Maybe Greg Monroe. It worked out well for him, but Detroit also continued to play him just as much as they were prior. Sexton is almost guaranteed to be looking at a smaller role with less minutes.
I just don't think his contract factors that much into how the coach will use him. Playing hardball and giving him a lower contract is all about preserving the asset value imo... not some long-term strategy to keep him. So on a 1 year 7.2M deal or 3/40 deal he will not be the priority. Roughly 14.5M of that offer is in the 3rd year when he should definitely opt out. Its still valuable as an insurance policy but its mostly a 2/25.5M deal vs. 1/7M in most normal scenarios.

Qualifying offer is rarely taken in part because teams usually come with a pretty fair offer. I think if they came with a 4/70 or 3/50M (no options) then I think they are trying to be more fair. They basically said "here is the amount we can give and not pay tax" and I don't think it demonstrates that they value him a lot. It may work out for them though.

It's probably not best practices, but they can do it and are seemingly successfully doing so. Sexton can be a negative moody dude all he wants, but in the end it's only going to hurt him.

And the dude hasnt even gotten an offer sheet from anyone and the team was dramatically better this past year despite him not being around. Every year he has played his on/off has been negative. He's a bad defender and is known as being a more "me first" guy. I think Cleveland is definitely squeezing him, but it's not a super dramatic squeeze. They have legitimate reason for not being all in on paying him the money he wants.
I get that, but then at that point, why is a better fit and some draft compensation something to sneeze at?

I get that, but then at that point, why is a better fit and some draft compensation something to sneeze at?
that's kinda what I'm saying. There is a disconnect between their offer and what they are saying. We will find out what is really true.

How many of these guys are actually going to be on the roster when the season starts?

View: https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/1561745329728262145

1bxVqnW.jpg

Because he's talented. He's easier to trade once he's on a contract. I'm sure they would do a S&T if it benefitted them, but the facts are that it's harder to work those out vs what they can do once he's under contract.

Lmao but I thought he was a quasi star.

I suspect the floodgates now open now that KD is staying put. Knicks may regret playing hardball with Danny.

I just thinking wishfully.

I think the Utah/LA trade may be somewhat agreed to in principle. Just waiting out the timer and if neither team finds a better offer they like it gets executed. Bev and Bogey are perfect for them both on the court and giving them cap space. Add in one or two more pieces if they will give us both firsts (JC and Vando or Mike). If they want to give just one then maybe they eat Rudy Gay's contract (though he might be solid for them).

Delightful. That’ll be one unprotected pick, please.

Oh, you want a whole rotation of legit NBA players? Please, have any of the rest of the roster and we’ll take back another unprotected pick. Depending on how deep you go, we’ll take a swap, too.
But for real, the Jazz could furnish the remainder of their rotation and sending 2 unprotected 1sts is not a bad deal for them.

I think the potential Knicks trade could be made a 3-team with one of the Knicks players being routed to LA to clinch that second unprotected.

But for real, the Jazz could furnish the remainder of their rotation and sending 2 unprotected 1sts is not a bad deal for them.

I think the potential Knicks trade could be made a 3-team with one of the Knicks players being routed to LA to clinch that second unprotected.

I'm guessing they don't want Mike's extra year, but I think he would be amazing for them next year.