What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

He was the guy with great balance. Grayson Allen had the hand pads, and just for context I hated the Conley trade. Who trades that much for a guy on the wrong side of 30 with the contract he had.
Yep. You’re right.

And I love Conley, but HATED that trade so much. Jazz had an obvious need for a dynamic wing between Mitchell and Gobert. . . and they traded all their available assets for an undersized PG.

View: https://twitter.com/KiLBJJ/status/1599272849763536896

In addition to this now deleted tweet from Dame, Andy Larsen noted in his article tonight that that Dame was asked on a podcast back in September who he would like to play with outside of the obvious stars in the league and his answer was either Mikal Bridges or Jarred Vanderbilt. Andy also noted that the Blazers two assistant general managers were in attendance tonight as well as last night when the Jazz played the Pacers. Could be something to keep an eye on as the trade deadline approaches.

It depends on if we pick up Beasley’s team option, if Clarkson/THT/Gay pick up their player options, and what we do with Conley. We could potentially not have very much actually.
It’s why you might look to move Malik… then if someone agrees to sign maybe you waive and stretch Mike. JC gets an extension after the trade deadline is my guess and THT and Gay can go ahead and send in the paperwork on their options now.

My thoughts on the tradability of our players:

Virtually Untouchable:
- Lauri - Mostly based on his defense this year he's become a sort of unicorn that we shouldn't trade away. A 7ft guy that can hit 3's, get off his own shot, and play defense. I'm not sure if he can keep up the defense, but I think everything else is sustainable, plus it seems like he has another level he can still get to. Unless you get a Gobert type offer, he should be part of our team long term.

Only For a Great Value:
- Kessler - At worst he's a solid rotation player, but has some untapped potential as well. I'm still not sure what his ceiling is, but we have team control for a long time, and he's a winner. I couldn't put him on the same level as Lauri, but I don't see any way we let him go.
- Sexton - Mostly because he is locked in to a long term deal, but also because he seems to be getting better all the time and is super willing to learn and be coached. He is an efficient scorer, especially for his size and brings a ton of energy. I'm not sure what his market would be like right now, but I can't imagine we would get a good enough offer to give up on seeing him grow.

Should be available, but only for a Good Offer:
- JC - He wants to be here and brings some coolness to the organization. He's made big leaps in his play making and is one of the better guys in the league at breaking down great defenses and getting shots off. He's also 30 and shouldn't be untouchable. I'm not sure we should be shopping him, but we should certainly be taking calls.
- Beasley - Capable of going nuclear and having amazing shooting stretches. Doesn't provide a lot when his shooting is off. It seems like he wants to be here, so we should see what his extension price looks like. If the extension price is reasonable that could be a good contract moving forward. I imagine there is some interest out there for him, and I wouldn't be too sad if he was moved, but I would want to get a good deal for him.
- Vando - I'm not sure he's a winning player right now, but I'm hoping he can be coached and harness some of that athletic ability. His shooting has made huge strides this year, and his defense last game against the Blazers was the best I've seen from him. I'm fairly certain we can get a pretty good deal for him, and I'm not sure I would want to commit to him long term. If I was the GM, he would probably be moved.

Should be shopped for best deal available:
- Conley - I think he is providing a lot more to the team than on court value, and so I would hate to see him go. He's also not part of our long term plans and we should be looking to get the best possible offer for him. His market probably isn't great right now, but injuries could change that. Let's hope he comes back soon and plays great and another team feels like he is the missing piece. Although if/when that happens I'll be a little sad.
- KO - I don't like him. HIs passing and what he brings to the offense is great, but I hate watching him play defense. I think he should be able to be a better rebounder. I also dislike his reckless play and flopping. If I was the GM I would be sending him to the highest bidder, even if it isn't a great deal.
- Gay - Trade him as long as it isn't for negative value. Does he have any high level buddies who could request that their team trades for him? He might just be stuck on the team for the rest of the year and then we buy him out.

Still don't know what we have yet:
- Agbaji - I don't think we really know what we have yet. I don't think anybody is going to come asking for him, so there shouldn't be any concerns of him going anywhere.
- Fontecchio - He's been a little underwhelming, but still adjusting to the NBA game. He's shown some great shooting ability. He's also long and plays hard. He also seems mostly lost when he plays. I doubt we are wanting to give up on him yet, and I also doubt he has attracted the attention of any other teams.

I don't think they have any Value, but if they do, sure:
- THT - He's been fun. I think he probably opts in to his deal, so I don't think he's going anywhere. He's shown some flashes, but needs to get under control more often. I'm probably wrong that he doesn't have any trade value, so maybe he should be higher on the list.
- NAW - He's showing more potential lately, but I doubt he's in our long term plans or is someone anybody else goes after either.
- Dok/Bolmaro - We've already given up on them. If another team really likes them, they'll just sign them in the off season.

My thoughts on the tradability of our players:

Virtually Untouchable:
- Lauri - Mostly based on his defense this year he's become a sort of unicorn that we shouldn't trade away. A 7ft guy that can hit 3's, get off his own shot, and play defense. I'm not sure if he can keep up the defense, but I think everything else is sustainable, plus it seems like he has another level he can still get to. Unless you get a Gobert type offer, he should be part of our team long term.

Only For a Great Value:
- Kessler - At worst he's a solid rotation player, but has some untapped potential as well. I'm still not sure what his ceiling is, but we have team control for a long time, and he's a winner. I couldn't put him on the same level as Lauri, but I don't see any way we let him go.
- Sexton - Mostly because he is locked in to a long term deal, but also because he seems to be getting better all the time and is super willing to learn and be coached. He is an efficient scorer, especially for his size and brings a ton of energy. I'm not sure what his market would be like right now, but I can't imagine we would get a good enough offer to give up on seeing him grow.

Should be available, but only for a Good Offer:
- JC - He wants to be here and brings some coolness to the organization. He's made big leaps in his play making and is one of the better guys in the league at breaking down great defenses and getting shots off. He's also 30 and shouldn't be untouchable. I'm not sure we should be shopping him, but we should certainly be taking calls.
- Beasley - Capable of going nuclear and having amazing shooting stretches. Doesn't provide a lot when his shooting is off. It seems like he wants to be here, so we should see what his extension price looks like. If the extension price is reasonable that could be a good contract moving forward. I imagine there is some interest out there for him, and I wouldn't be too sad if he was moved, but I would want to get a good deal for him.
- Vando - I'm not sure he's a winning player right now, but I'm hoping he can be coached and harness some of that athletic ability. His shooting has made huge strides this year, and his defense last game against the Blazers was the best I've seen from him. I'm fairly certain we can get a pretty good deal for him, and I'm not sure I would want to commit to him long term. If I was the GM, he would probably be moved.

Should be shopped for best deal available:
- Conley - I think he is providing a lot more to the team than on court value, and so I would hate to see him go. He's also not part of our long term plans and we should be looking to get the best possible offer for him. His market probably isn't great right now, but injuries could change that. Let's hope he comes back soon and plays great and another team feels like he is the missing piece. Although if/when that happens I'll be a little sad.
- KO - I don't like him. HIs passing and what he brings to the offense is great, but I hate watching him play defense. I think he should be able to be a better rebounder. I also dislike his reckless play and flopping. If I was the GM I would be sending him to the highest bidder, even if it isn't a great deal.
- Gay - Trade him as long as it isn't for negative value. Does he have any high level buddies who could request that their team trades for him? He might just be stuck on the team for the rest of the year and then we buy him out.

Still don't know what we have yet:
- Agbaji - I don't think we really know what we have yet. I don't think anybody is going to come asking for him, so there shouldn't be any concerns of him going anywhere.
- Fontecchio - He's been a little underwhelming, but still adjusting to the NBA game. He's shown some great shooting ability. He's also long and plays hard. He also seems mostly lost when he plays. I doubt we are wanting to give up on him yet, and I also doubt he has attracted the attention of any other teams.

I don't think they have any Value, but if they do, sure:
- THT - He's been fun. I think he probably opts in to his deal, so I don't think he's going anywhere. He's shown some flashes, but needs to get under control more often. I'm probably wrong that he doesn't have any trade value, so maybe he should be higher on the list.
- NAW - He's showing more potential lately, but I doubt he's in our long term plans or is someone anybody else goes after either.
- Dok/Bolmaro - We've already given up on them. If another team really likes them, they'll just sign them in the off season.
I agree about the top 3 being keepers for the very reasons you said. They also fit the mold of what Ainge wants to do (everyone needs to be able to defend), and I think Kessler might be his Horford in this team.

But I disagree most about Conley. I came to realize today that he is not only vital for our young guards (Sexton, Ochai, NAW?) development but also to Hardy as sort of like an assistant coach. And the reason I disagree is just that I don't think we can get such value from trading him that compensates what he is worth to us right now. He might even get extended.. either as a player or as an assistant coach.

Also while I'm not opposed to trading KO (if we decide to throw the season), I hear Ainge likes him a lot. He is sort of like the big Marcus Smart of our team minus the defense. Passing, hustle, annoying opponents. I doubt anyone is willing to throw an offer to Ainge that he would accept for him.

I think if we had to trade more guys, then Beasley might be on the block. Ainge wants 3&D guards with a bigger emphasis on the D, and Beasley has just the 3. I heard Derrick White was a target for Ainge long before Stevens traded for him, and as he also drafted Smart its clear he likes guards who can defend well. Now Beasley can play wing as well, but seeing we are looking at John Collins tells that he likely is looking to add athletic wings who can defend and while Beasley is an elite catch and shoot guy, he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Edit:
Also kudos for a very good breakdown.

Last edited:
I agree about the top 3 being keepers for the very reasons you said. They also fit the mold of what Ainge wants to do (everyone needs to be able to defend), and I think Kessler might be his Horford in this team.

But I disagree most about Conley. I came to realize today that he is not only vital for our young guards (Sexton, Ochai, NAW?) development but also to Hardy as sort of like an assistant coach. And the reason I disagree is just that I don't think we can get such value from trading him that compensates what he is worth to us right now. He might even get extended.. either as a player or as an assistant coach.

Also while I'm not opposed to trading KO (if we decide to throw the season), I hear Ainge likes him a lot. He is sort of like the big Marcus Smart of our team minus the defense. Passing, hustle, annoying opponents. I doubt anyone is willing to throw an offer to Ainge that he would accept for him.

I think if we had to trade more guys, then Beasley might be on the block. Ainge wants 3&D guards with a bigger emphasis on the D, and Beasley has just the 3. I heard Derrick White was a target for Ainge long before Stevens traded for him, and as he also drafted Smart its clear he likes guards who can defend well. Now Beasley can play wing as well, but seeing we are looking at John Collins tells that he likely is looking to add athletic wings who can defend and while Beasley is an elite catch and shoot guy, he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Edit:
Also kudos for a very good breakdown.
I love Conley, probably more than most here, but if we can extract some future value for him, you have to do it. Conley still has some years left in him, so he isn't joining the coaching ranks any time soon. If Hardy is really relying on him that much as a coach, he needs to do a better job and hire better actual coaches.

I love Conley, probably more than most here, but if we can extract some future value for him, you have to do it. Conley still has some years left in him, so he isn't joining the coaching ranks any time soon. If Hardy is really relying on him that much as a coach, he needs to do a better job and hire better actual coaches.
Eh, I don't think the implication is that Conley counsels with the coaching team during practice sessions and wears a tie on the bench as a "coach", but rather he functions as an extension of the coach on the floor. As Stockton did, and even D Will and others. That is invaluable to the coach and to the team to see him exerting that level of leadership. And frankly every winning team has a player or 2 that fits that bill.

Yep. I would hope that Jason Terry is being relied on more so to coach the guards than Conley. I think we all like Conley but his career arc doesn't fit our timeline and if we can get some value for him we need to make it happen. Particularly since his minutes get in the way of younger guards that need minutes to figure out what we have.

What @LogGrad98 said + the fact that we have 5 guards under the age of 25 and the only other older ones we have besides Conley are maybe not the types to mentor them.

Eh, I don't think the implication is that Conley counsels with the coaching team during practice sessions and wears a tie on the bench as a "coach", but rather he functions as an extension of the coach on the floor. As Stockton did, and even D Will and others. That is invaluable to the coach and to the team to see him exerting that level of leadership. And frankly every winning team has a player or 2 that fits that bill.
I was responding to HermanG's statement that we extend Conley as an assistant coach. I thought that sounded a little crazy.

To be more specific, I would trade Conley for a 1st round pick and expiring contract(s). I don't think that offer is out there right now, but might be if a team gets more desperate closer to the trade deadline. If that offer doesn't materialize then I would be more than happy to keep Conley. I love what he is bringing to this young team so far this year.

I’d be willing to take one first for
Malik, Mike, Vando from LA if we could do the Russ deal. Clearing the cap and getting one first is helpful. We can use the space to sign someone long term or assume a bad one year deal for some draft capital. If LA prefers KO to Vando then do it and add Nunn.

We’ve found a few long term keepers… we’ve seen some potential fits and needs the group would have going forward. We’ve extracted some value from being competitive… I’m fine falling in the standings and missing the play in… or the younger guys/long term pieces carrying us to play in if that is what happens.

The team is really fun to watch either way.

I just cant see anyone trading for Conley given his contract and how inconsistent his health is.

Maybe you get a couple of 2nd's and an expiring contract. Maybe.