What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I just cant see anyone trading for Conley given his contract and how inconsistent his health is.

Maybe you get a couple of 2nd's and an expiring contract. Maybe.
There are a few guys we have that I think a key injury to a player may open up a trade. Mike's deal is big enough it may still not happen. But JC, KO, Vando, Beasley might be moved later when a contender knows they will need a replacement.

im leaning towards trading Mike but would also be happy if he stays. maybe he can accept a friendly contract and come off the bench in the future? aside from health and age we have a size problem in the PG position and we all saw what happened last year when other players just kept on shooting over mike. this also gonna be a problem with sexton too. im still hoping we can grab a bigger guard.

im leaning towards trading Mike but would also be happy if he stays. maybe he can accept a friendly contract and come off the bench in the future? aside from health and age we have a size problem in the PG position and we all saw what happened last year when other players just kept on shooting over mike. this also gonna be a problem with sexton too. im still hoping we can grab a bigger guard.
Conley is likely done after this contract.

I think we are likely one of the only teams he would have great value on because our PG options are non-existent.

Conley is likely done after this contract.

I think we are likely one of the only teams he would have great value on because our PG options are non-existent.
Realistically he would help a team like the Lakers.

Realistically he would help a team like the Lakers.
I dont think he would. His main benefit to the Lakers would just be his shooting, not his PG/leadership ability. Of course he would help overall, but it wouldnt be a huge boost and probably not worth the cost for them.

The Clippers could probably use him more than anyone.

I'm starting to think neither KO or Mike trade is on the books.

KOs skillset is not in huge demand because of his lack of defense and rebounding, and while Mike's skillset is sought after the age discount is too big to compensate what he is worth to us.

With JC we either need to extend him or trade him, and if we extend we need to do it well before the deadline to avoid locking into him through entire 2023-24 season. We must try to avoid him not picking up his option (which he wont at that price) and walking, since it doesnt make sense to burn the tail end of his value just to get him to play through this season.

Beasley is another player who might have decent value as a trade chip if the brass doesnt see him as a long term piece. Fairly easy skillset to sell.

My thoughts on the tradability of our players:

Virtually Untouchable:
- Lauri - Mostly based on his defense this year he's become a sort of unicorn that we shouldn't trade away. A 7ft guy that can hit 3's, get off his own shot, and play defense. I'm not sure if he can keep up the defense, but I think everything else is sustainable, plus it seems like he has another level he can still get to. Unless you get a Gobert type offer, he should be part of our team long term.

Only For a Great Value:
- Kessler - At worst he's a solid rotation player, but has some untapped potential as well. I'm still not sure what his ceiling is, but we have team control for a long time, and he's a winner. I couldn't put him on the same level as Lauri, but I don't see any way we let him go.
- Sexton - Mostly because he is locked in to a long term deal, but also because he seems to be getting better all the time and is super willing to learn and be coached. He is an efficient scorer, especially for his size and brings a ton of energy. I'm not sure what his market would be like right now, but I can't imagine we would get a good enough offer to give up on seeing him grow.

Should be available, but only for a Good Offer:
- JC - He wants to be here and brings some coolness to the organization. He's made big leaps in his play making and is one of the better guys in the league at breaking down great defenses and getting shots off. He's also 30 and shouldn't be untouchable. I'm not sure we should be shopping him, but we should certainly be taking calls.
- Beasley - Capable of going nuclear and having amazing shooting stretches. Doesn't provide a lot when his shooting is off. It seems like he wants to be here, so we should see what his extension price looks like. If the extension price is reasonable that could be a good contract moving forward. I imagine there is some interest out there for him, and I wouldn't be too sad if he was moved, but I would want to get a good deal for him.
- Vando - I'm not sure he's a winning player right now, but I'm hoping he can be coached and harness some of that athletic ability. His shooting has made huge strides this year, and his defense last game against the Blazers was the best I've seen from him. I'm fairly certain we can get a pretty good deal for him, and I'm not sure I would want to commit to him long term. If I was the GM, he would probably be moved.

Should be shopped for best deal available:
- Conley - I think he is providing a lot more to the team than on court value, and so I would hate to see him go. He's also not part of our long term plans and we should be looking to get the best possible offer for him. His market probably isn't great right now, but injuries could change that. Let's hope he comes back soon and plays great and another team feels like he is the missing piece. Although if/when that happens I'll be a little sad.
- KO - I don't like him. HIs passing and what he brings to the offense is great, but I hate watching him play defense. I think he should be able to be a better rebounder. I also dislike his reckless play and flopping. If I was the GM I would be sending him to the highest bidder, even if it isn't a great deal.
- Gay - Trade him as long as it isn't for negative value. Does he have any high level buddies who could request that their team trades for him? He might just be stuck on the team for the rest of the year and then we buy him out.

Still don't know what we have yet:
- Agbaji - I don't think we really know what we have yet. I don't think anybody is going to come asking for him, so there shouldn't be any concerns of him going anywhere.
- Fontecchio - He's been a little underwhelming, but still adjusting to the NBA game. He's shown some great shooting ability. He's also long and plays hard. He also seems mostly lost when he plays. I doubt we are wanting to give up on him yet, and I also doubt he has attracted the attention of any other teams.

I don't think they have any Value, but if they do, sure:
- THT - He's been fun. I think he probably opts in to his deal, so I don't think he's going anywhere. He's shown some flashes, but needs to get under control more often. I'm probably wrong that he doesn't have any trade value, so maybe he should be higher on the list.
- NAW - He's showing more potential lately, but I doubt he's in our long term plans or is someone anybody else goes after either.
- Dok/Bolmaro - We've already given up on them. If another team really likes them, they'll just sign them in the off season.

Nailed it. I almost want to move vando up there with sexton and kessler though.

I think he is still growing as a player. He is hitting that corner 3 now, and getting better at handling and distributing and also getting better at finishing. Great attitude and work ethic. He could be a fantastic piece to a championship team in the future.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree about the top 3 being keepers for the very reasons you said. They also fit the mold of what Ainge wants to do (everyone needs to be able to defend), and I think Kessler might be his Horford in this team.

But I disagree most about Conley. I came to realize today that he is not only vital for our young guards (Sexton, Ochai, NAW?) development but also to Hardy as sort of like an assistant coach. And the reason I disagree is just that I don't think we can get such value from trading him that compensates what he is worth to us right now. He might even get extended.. either as a player or as an assistant coach.

Also while I'm not opposed to trading KO (if we decide to throw the season), I hear Ainge likes him a lot. He is sort of like the big Marcus Smart of our team minus the defense. Passing, hustle, annoying opponents. I doubt anyone is willing to throw an offer to Ainge that he would accept for him.

I think if we had to trade more guys, then Beasley might be on the block. Ainge wants 3&D guards with a bigger emphasis on the D, and Beasley has just the 3. I heard Derrick White was a target for Ainge long before Stevens traded for him, and as he also drafted Smart its clear he likes guards who can defend well. Now Beasley can play wing as well, but seeing we are looking at John Collins tells that he likely is looking to add athletic wings who can defend and while Beasley is an elite catch and shoot guy, he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Edit:
Also kudos for a very good breakdown.

Good post and breakdown yourself. Though i would love to move KO

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Came up with a trade idea that most will hate but I would consider. Jazz send Vando to Boston... Boston sends Gallo and a 2026 first to Utah (top 4 protected maybe... it likely won't matter). Saves Boston like $20M plus over the next two years between luxury tax and salary. Gallo basically will be hurt all year and we can waive and stretch his money next year if we want to create more cap space.

Came up with a trade idea that most will hate but I would consider. Jazz send Vando to Boston... Boston sends Gallo and a 2026 first to Utah (top 4 protected maybe... it likely won't matter). Saves Boston like $20M plus over the next two years between luxury tax and salary. Gallo basically will be hurt all year and we can waive and stretch his money next year if we want to create more cap space.
I wouldn't see Danny collecting more picks at this point. More likely to shed some

I wouldn't see Danny collecting more picks at this point. More likely to shed some
Nah... DA doesn't give up picks... he's the collector.

Its not about collecting picks... its about cashing in on assets with current value for an asset that is more fluid and provides a benefit later (in trade or just making the pick).

I think we consolidate picks on draft night 2023 either to move up or trade a pick to get a pick in 2024. They way things are trending we have 3 picks in the next two years (since we owe our 2024 to OKC). The cupboard is more full later but I wouldn't give up a 2025 or later Cleveland or Minny pick until I see where they are headed. Only way we cash in a pick now is if there is a somewhat amazing deal. We also have no second round picks... so I don't foresee a roster crunch like the one OKC had/has with all their picks.

You are so much lower on Vando given this trade and a Lakers trade. He is a raw, 23 year old on a peanuts contract and has a high motor. We can easily get a first round pick at least without taking on a negative contract

Says the Jazz are impressed with Markkanen, and it would take a lot to trade him, and they want to extend Clarkson because Ryan Smith loves him, but everyone else on the roster is expendable, even Sexton.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1600151589540331520

I wouldnt buy those guys stocks. They seem to rely on preseason assumptions, and dont seem to have any new insights about us.

My gut tells me we are not guaranteed sellers yet. If we get a decent record, compete well and wont get blown out in our next 7 game stretch, I think we might buy rather than sell.

I wouldnt buy those guys stocks. They seem to rely on preseason assumptions, and dont seem to have any new insights about us.

My gut tells me we are not guaranteed sellers yet. If we get a decent record, compete well and wont get blown out in our next 7 game stretch, I think we might buy rather than sell. The Jazz have players these other teams want to steal, Bias reporting trying to make us look desperate and flatlining with no hope trade everyone now. We are in control, we aint desperate and we have Ainge.

You are so much lower on Vando given this trade and a Lakers trade. He is a raw, 23 year old on a peanuts contract and has a high motor. We can easily get a first round pick at least without taking on a negative contract
Maybe... if so then we should do it. Just don't see many 1 first round pick deals for players like Vando.

My gut tells me we are not guaranteed sellers yet. If we get a decent record, compete well and wont get blown out in our next 7 game stretch, I think we might buy rather than sell.
There is an article on the ringer about us today too. I think its all about being opportunistic and may not matter too much on how the next 7 games go. The opportunity to improve our own draft pick is slowly slipping away the longer we wait though.

If there is a chance to buy low on a 20 something like John Collins... I think they would do that deal. If there is an opportunity to cash in on Vando, KO, Beasley, Mike... or even JC then I think they do it. There is a chance they do nothing... which would be a mistake imo. If we did nothing we really have no cap space as you'd expect them to pickup the options on KO/Beasley and let JC walk. So I'd probably go ahead and make a decision now and either open up that space or take on some salary and firm up that picture.

Given the market thus far it might be smarter to be a buyer as teams like LA, Phoenix, Dallas, seem to be resisting giving up their picks.