What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

With all due respect, there are so many things wrong here, that it is bewildering.

Kessler is an astonishing athlete for a seven footer; if he is meh, then 95% of all 7 footers in the NBA are outright atrocious. It is extremely hard to say what his ceiling is, as he has only just shown his floor. Shooting is a skill many NBA players not called Ben get better and better at; not all are Jimmy Butlers, but most get way better than they are in their rookie year. Kessler most certainly would for a trade to happen need a lottery FRP plus a roleplayer.

RAPTOR, being a box-score based stat, is an incredibly poor meter for players like Vando, who do all those small things that glues a bunch of players into a team; the hustle, the energy, the ability to improve those around him are not shown in RAPTOR or similar stats. Mk 1 eyeball test seems to suggest his value is in fact increasing, and most definitely a FRP would be needed to move him.

The league knows who Beasley is. A few good or bad matches doesn't change that. His value is not going to fluctuate anywhere based on a slump or redhot strike; he might in fact be hard to move for any decent return, most likely if he is moved it will be as a filler in addition to someone else.
His floor is the ceiling

This Suns Booker situation could get desperate fast. Their January is no joke. They may need to make a move sooner than later.

This Suns Booker situation could get desperate fast. Their January is no joke. They may need to make a move sooner than later.

I would still like to see some kind of variation of the previously mentioned three-team deal with Phoenix and Atlanta.

A deal with Phoenix alone could also be intriguing. Something like this:

Beasley and Vanderbilt for Crowder and Saric

It’s about 500k from exact matching salary. They add in their 2024 1st and maybe a pick swap in 2023 with the Philadelphia/Brooklyn pick.

A deal for Clarkson makes too much sense not happen in this situation. The salaries are super easy to match with Crowder and Okogie. It would have to be for their 2023 pick unprotected but that is a small sacrifice for giving them a great shot at the championship. The good thing for us is that adding Clarkson keeps them competitive with Booker and Cam Johnson out but not great so I think that pick ends up in the 18-22 range. Come playoff time though I think the trade makes the suns the championship favorite if Booker and Cam Johnson are also healthy.

A deal for Clarkson makes too much sense not happen in this situation. The salaries are super easy to match with Crowder and Okogie. It would have to be for their 2023 pick unprotected but that is a small sacrifice for giving them a great shot at the championship. The good thing for us is that adding Clarkson keeps them competitive with Booker and Cam Johnson out but not great so I think that pick ends up in the 18-22 range. Come playoff time though I think the trade makes the suns the championship favorite if Booker and Cam Johnson are also healthy.

I agree, but is Ryan Smith willing to part with Clarkson?

I agree, but is Ryan Smith willing to part with Clarkson?
Who the heck knows at this point. That is one of the reasons why I think it is so important to struggle over these next 10 games. That 10 game stretch is pretty average with a good mix of bad teams and good teams so I wouldn't be shocked to see us go 7-3 or 3-7. If we go 7-3 then I think we probably stand pat going into the trade deadline. If you go 3-7 though then the playoff picture starts to look a little rough and it is easier to sell certain people on getting what we can for some vets and letting more of the youngsters gain experience.

Who the heck knows at this point. That is one of the reasons why I think it is so important to struggle over these next 10 games. That 10 game stretch is pretty average with a good mix of bad teams and good teams so I wouldn't be shocked to see us go 7-3 or 3-7. If we go 7-3 then I think we probably stand pat going into the trade deadline. If you go 3-7 though then the playoff picture starts to look a little rough and it is easier to sell certain people on getting what we can for some vets and letting more of the youngsters gain experience.
I think it depends on where the extension talks are. Bobby Marks was talking extensions on Windy's pod. If it is adding two years and like 35M I can see JC's value being more than a first and us wanting to keep him around. If his demands are a bit higher then I think he would be available in a Phoenix deal.

I think we'd consider a JC/Vando to Phoenix deal for Crowder (routed to a third team) and Saric if we could get 2024 pick and a 2023 swap with the Brooklyn pick... but we might only do it if we suck the next 5-10 games as mentioned above... or if there was another tanktastic trade on the table or immediate horizon. Like if we were able to flip KO/Mike/Beasley somewhere else then we might settle for less on a JC deal.

Phoenix also has a high threshold for doing deals historically. Not a lot of in season trades... staying the course will have them out of the playoff (even out of the play in).

New owner... I wonder if they do something bold (stupid).

^Agreed. Ainge really got burned in Boston letting FA's just walk out the door. It will be interesting to see what happens here especially with JC since he will be the first one who can potentially test UFA during the DA era.

JC is obviously well liked by the fanbase but not sure he's worth long term starting SG money.

Who says no... Phoenix offers 23/25/27/29 firsts (no protections) with Crowder/Saric/Shamet for Lauri and JC?

I don't think we would entertain any offers for Lauri that aren't 200 cents on the dollar but if there was a conversation I wonder how far they'd go. We would certainly enter the tank race with that one.

And lets be honest... its Danny Ainge so in that conversation it would end up being Lauri for 4 firsts and Cam Johnson lol.