What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Ahhhh one of the traps of being a draft geek. It is the grass is greener mentality.

Lets trade our players for XYZ prospects. You have no idea if that player will pan out.
I don’t really think that is the argument here - I would say that we’re currently in the middle of the NBA, which is the worst place to be. We either have to bottom out, draft really really well while in the middle, or trade assets to get to title contention. We’re lucky that all of those paths are viable right now. I think that trading Markkanen for a premium pick and assets would suck, but it would at least make sense in terms of a total tear down rebuild.

I also don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in hell that Ainge trades Lauri for anything less than Gobert or Mitchell. He’s arguably a more valuable trade asset due to the size/contract/age of it all, although is maybe a little less proven considering he’s only been at that level for one year

I am curious about a trade for Jordan Poole. I think he could fix his poor year on the Jazz. GSW is in contract hell and needs to save money.

They have 3 young players I really like in

Kuminga
Moody
Baldwin

I would need to see the trade to see if I like it.

I am curious about a trade for Jordan Poole. I think he could fix his poor year on the Jazz. GSW is in contract hell and needs to save money.

They have 3 young players I really like in

Kuminga
Moody
Baldwin

I would need to see the trade to see if I like it.
I don't know...

Poole is owed approx $130 mil over the next four years. That is pretty steep for a guy whose really not going to be a huge difference maker. He's at best a #3 or #4 guy on a playoff type team?

The biggest negative for Lauri, as far as the Jazz are concerned, is that he's a little older than our other star, Walker. So, if we're looking at pure timeline, it would make sense to trade Lauri for a high pick, like the 2, 3, or 4.

But that's not what I'd do. I think Lauri is a unique enough player that you can't just replace him. Any draft pick is a gamble, there have been tons of high picks that haven't even been an All-Star.

I can't believe trading Lauri is even a discussion after the season he just had. I honestly didn't see this coming.
No what happens is that the jazz are viewed as a fringe team, so of course the "reasonable" moves involve ripping the jazz apart to send their best players to the "real" teams so they can be more successful and after getting smacked around the jazz of course just say "thank you sir may I have another". Because no one in the NBA takes the jazz seriously.

The biggest negative for Lauri, as far as the Jazz are concerned, is that he's a little older than our other star, Walker. So, if we're looking at pure timeline, it would make sense to trade Lauri for a high pick, like the 2, 3, or 4.

But that's not what I'd do. I think Lauri is a unique enough player that you can't just replace him. Any draft pick is a gamble, there have been tons of high picks that haven't even been an All-Star.
If you absolutely must trade one of them, you trade Walker. You don't trade a player as unique as Lauri heading into his peak for the chance that your one-dimensional 2nd year player and your unproven rookie will be a good as your known quantity unicorn. Instead you trade the pick and the 2nd year player to get better players around your budding all-star on his timeline. That is, IF you MUST trade anything at all, of course

He would be hard to replace and I want him to remain with the Jazz.

However, if I was a GM and was offered enough draft capital (and I believed Scoot or Miller are too good to pass up), I may pull the trigger.
The bonus (from an asset perspective) is the Jazz do worse next year and keep the protected OKC pick.

Definitely a gamble, but I would not put it past Ainge to do this.

Next year's draft is trash. It would be a good time to satisfy our obligation on that pick, otherwise it just rolls over to the next year.

He’s got at least 3 years before he hits his prime years.
Next year's draft is trash. It would be a good time to satisfy our obligation on that pick, otherwise it just rolls over to the next year.
Ya but we have Minnesota’s pick in 25. So we can better afford to lose a pick then, plus I bet we have a better record two years from now.

He’s got at least 3 years before he hits his prime years.
I assume by "he" you mean Lauri? In which case my response is that Walker and this years draft pick have 5 or 6 years.

Again, I don't advocate for trading Lauri. I think he's as good a unicorn as Porzingas could have been, but he has way more drive and motivation.

Why would Portland want any of those guys? They want players who will help them win now. The only two players we have that fit what they want is Lauri and Kessler. We have plenty of picks and young players but very limited win now players at the moment.
I get that Lauri's trade value is higher than ever especially now when he's allstar and MIP award winner.
It cannot be just lucky coinsidence Trailblazers has put their eyes on Lauri.

Lauri and Dame were teammates in allstar game and Lauri is team first player who doesn't demand ball in his hands.
But as cool it obviously would be see Lauri and Dame playing together in Portland i doubt seriously that trade happens.

Yes Trailblazers would be very likely playoff team in western conference if they have Dame and Lauri into roster.
But becoming championship contender takes much more important qualities than having 2 allstars.

We even don't know yet can Lauri have next season as good year what he had this year.
So maybe even Jazz should wait first and see what type season Lauri will have starting into October
and if there is trade interest on Lauri closer trade deadline and Jazz playoffs chances are slim or marginal then it is right time to trade Lauri in playoff team or championship contender

Since I'm the proud father of the "We need to trade Lauri now because that's the path we chose at the trade deadline" movement, I'm glad to see it finally going mainstream. You can't beat logic.

Markkanen's trade value is out of this world at the moment. And that's because of, not despite of the fact that the League sees him as an ideal second banana, not a guy with superstar potential. He's someone who can be the final piece of the puzzle for a contender who fits anywhere, a real difference-maker who's actually attainable. Yes he'd be expensive - very expensive - but you don't have to gut your whole team to acquire him. It's not a gigantic, team-changing gamble like trading for a Luka or an Embiid.

IMO there would be many teams ready to seriously overpay for Lauri right now.

Since I'm the proud father of the "We need to trade Lauri now because that's the path we chose at the trade deadline" movement, I'm glad to see it finally going mainstream. You can't beat logic.

Markkanen's trade value is out of this world at the moment. And that's because of, not despite of the fact that the League sees him as an ideal second banana, not a guy with superstar potential. He's someone who can be the final piece of the puzzle for a contender who fits anywhere, a real difference-maker who's actually attainable. Yes he'd be expensive - very expensive - but you don't have to gut your whole team to acquire him. It's not a gigantic, team-changing gamble like trading for a Luka or an Embiid.

If I’m understanding you, you’re a Fin who is here because Lauri, but also more down on Lauri than one would expect, and now you use the collective ‘we’ to suggest we trade him. What are you hoping for in return, as you presumably are on a Jazz forum because of Lauri?

For god sakes someone tell me WTH this person is getting at??

i hate anybody that wants to trade lauri. we will never be friends

i hate anybody that wants to trade lauri. we will never be friends
Tis’ not a question of sentiment, but one of utility. I do not want to trade Lauri, but if it delivers us a championship, where do I sign?

I would trade Lauri for Wemby, Cam, and 3 unprotected 1st round draft picks.

Tis’ not a question of sentiment, but one of utility. I do not want to trade Lauri, but if it delivers us a championship, where do I sign?

I would trade Lauri for Wemby, Cam, and 3 unprotected 1st round draft picks.
ok wembi plus 3 firsts isnt being offered. trading lauri for cam whitmore is just crazy. i love, love love cam whitmore. but lauri has already proven he is the man. not just good. he was great last year. you hope cam ends up being almost as good as lauri. no guarantees on that. then you got to hope cam wants to stay in utah no guarantees. lauri the man and most importantly, has already said he really, really likes utah.