What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

LA has a weird situation. NOLA has the right to take their ‘24 OR ‘25 1st, so they could potentially trade a ‘26 pick, it just wouldn’t be tradable until that situation is figured out.

But your question did spark the realization that LA should be able to swap ‘26 either way, so that sparks another thought.

Jazz/Knicks: Donovan to Knicks
-‘23/‘25/‘27/‘29 super (duper?) swaps
-‘24/‘26/‘28 unprotected
-‘23 Mavs pick
-their worst salary matching players, if they get any youths then they are ammo to LA

Jazz/Lakers: whoever the Lakers want
-‘26/‘27/‘28 super swaps
-‘29 unprotected

Some **** like that. I’m ****ing crazed AF. The basic ideas here are:

-Jazz assuredly secure a pick every draft, even if they convey a pick to OKC and even if the Wolves keep their pick in ‘29
-in every year they have at least one additional unprotected pick from another team, sometimes more
-in all years but one they also get super swaps to juice the value of their picks.
The Lakers are not going to blow their load by taking on long term salary and trading away draft picks unless they're landing Kyrie Irving since they can save their cap space and sign him next summer.

The Lakers are not going to blow their load by taking on long term salary and trading away draft picks unless they're landing Kyrie Irving since they can save their cap space and sign him next summer.
Not sure how happy LeBron would be to effectively waste one of his last seasons, though. He can decide to walk next year if he feels the franchise isn't doing what they should do. And he doesn't care about those '27 and '29 picks.

But if they want to keep cap space open next year:
Westbrook + picks (I would love '27 and '29, but that might be optimistic)
for
Bogey, Beasley, Beverley.

All of those guys are on 1 year deals (except Beasley, who has a team option next year). We could even take THT off their hands (he's the only player outside of AD signed past next summer).

We could even take THT off their hands (he's the only player outside of AD signed past next summer).
Hmm, not correct. They also have Max Christie ($1.7M) and Damian Jones (PO, $2.5M). THT is a player option too ($11M)

Not sure how happy LeBron would be to effectively waste one of his last seasons, though. He can decide to walk next year if he feels the franchise isn't doing what they should do. And he doesn't care about those '27 and '29 picks.

But if they want to keep cap space open next year:
Westbrook + picks (I would love '27 and '29, but that might be optimistic)
for
Bogey, Beasley, Beverley.

All of those guys are on 1 year deals (except Beasley, who has a team option next year). We could even take THT off their hands (he's the only player outside of AD signed past next summer).
If they add anyone that’s not on an expiring deal it basically ensures they’ll miss on Kyrie and that LeBron will leave next off-season.

Sexton trade gonna happen whether Donovan stays or not. That’ll be the next move, and hopefully it’s the first domino.

If the Jazz can get Sexton and the Heat unprotect their 2025 pick in early September (both would juice leverage) then that might push a Donovan deal over the finish line when paired with the timing of training camp approaching.

Sexton trade gonna happen whether Donovan stays or not. That’ll be the next move, and hopefully it’s the first domino.

If the Jazz can get Sexton and the Heat unprotect their 2025 pick in early September (both would juice leverage) then that might push a Donovan deal over the finish line when paired with the timing of training camp approaching.

What's you thinking on how the Sexton deal would give us more leverage?

What's you thinking on how the Sexton deal would give us more leverage?
That we’re retooling/reloading. Going out and signing a $60-$80 million contract doesn’t scream tank move, and Conley’s on his way out as it is. It’s a perfectly situated move that pivots either way, but that either way aspect gives it a lot of utility and why it will be the next move if it happens at all.

I think the package is Beasley and two 2nds. Maybe Conley if the Cavs find some salary they want to dump in the deal (Windler?) since they’re trying to stay under the tax. I just think there’s too much of a logjam at the position for that to make the most sense. I think Beasley is a perfect fit.

That we’re retooling/reloading. Going out and signing a $60-$80 million contract doesn’t scream tank move, and Conley’s on his way out as it is. It’s a perfectly situated move that pivots either way, but that either way aspect gives it a lot of utility and why it will be the next move if it happens at all.

I think the package is Beasley and two 2nds. Maybe Conley if the Cavs find some salary they want to dump in the deal (Windler?) since they’re trying to stay under the tax. I just think there’s too much of a logjam at the position for that to make the most sense. I think Beasley is a perfect fit.

OK, makes sense. They might see through it, but maybe it at least makes them a little nervous.

I do wonder a little how desperate New York really is for Donovan. When they signed Brunson I figured their interest would go way down. Obviously they are still interested and the amount of smoke and mirrors shows they must be very interested. On the other hand if they are really offering mostly protected picks and bad salary, then maybe there is a chance they aren't as desperate as we think.

To get the biggest haul from the Lakers, they can send $63 million (Westbrook + THT and Nunn [who still isn’t healthy]) and the Jazz need to send at least four NBA players (that gives them a starting lineup and sixth man).

That amount going out from LA creates a ton of flexibility for a returning package and nobody can send the haul of the pieces they’re looking for like the Jazz. To get both picks (or a pick and two swaps), the price is gonna be steep but the Jazz can do it.

They can take whatever they want, but I would propose a core of:
-Bev ($13)
-Clarkson (~$13)
-Bogey ($19)
-Vanderbilt (~$5)

This ($50 million) is a bit above the minimum the Jazz could send out and saves the Lakers an absolute **** load of money after the luxury tax ramifications. If they want more players, that’s fine with me. They can take back as much as ~$79 million if they really want to, but I’m not totally sure who the Jazz send at that point since I think Beasley is in the Sexton deal and I think Conley might just be too much for them. Maybe Gay, NAW, and/or Butler?

If the Jazz really can empty their clip of all their legit vets in these deals, I think I definitely prefer two picks rather than a pick and two swaps.

Last edited:
To get the biggest haul from the Lakers, they can send $63 million (Westbrook + THT and Nunn [who still isn’t healthy]) and the Jazz need to send at least four NBA players (that gives them a starting lineup and sixth man).

That amount going out from LA creates a ton of flexibility for a returning package and nobody can send the haul of the pieces they’re looking for like the Jazz. To get both picks (or a pick and two swaps), the price is gonna be steep but the Jazz can do it.

They can take whatever they want, but I would propose a core of:
-Bev ($13)
-Clarkson (~$13)
-Bogey ($19)
-Vanderbilt (~$5)

This ($50 million) is a bit above the minimum the Jazz could send out and saves the Lakers an absolute **** load of money after the luxury tax ramifications. If they want more players, that’s fine with me. They can take back as much as ~$79 million if they really want to, but I’m not totally sure who the Jazz send at that point since I think Beasley is in the Sexton deal and I think Conley might just be too much for them. Maybe Gay, NAW, and/or Butler?

If the Jazz really can empty their clip of all their legit vets in these deals, I think I definitely prefer two picks rather than a pick and two swaps.
And if the Lakers won’t go above one unprotected then I probably just piece out the guys and get a little raft of protected 1sts/2nds and decide to get more bites at the apple.