What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I'm pretty resigned to the fact it's going to be a long season for Sexton which is fine considering this is a rebuild.

He's a kid that's easy to root for but is coming back from a serious meniscus and got injured again last night. They are clearly trying to change his entire game and you can see him overthinking on the court a bit. He looks really bought in defensively and is passing the ball in Hardy's system. His athleticism looks to be back to pre injury form which was one of my main concerns when they gave him that contract. He's a very good 41% career catch and shoot guy although the shooting hasn't been as good in the first few games. He's one of the few Jazzmen that can consistently get to the FT line.

Is he a long term piece for the Jazz? A future starter? A bench scorer like Clarkson has been the past few seasons? Will they try to build up his value and trade him down the line?
It's way too early to tell at this point.

What's everybody's opinion on Clarkson potentially being traded by the deadline?

From everything I've heard it appears Ryan Smith is a big JC guy. I think most of the fanbase love him too. If I was given truth serum I'd probably admit he was my 2nd favorite Jazzman after Rudy the past few seasons. Yes I realize he shot them out of some games, had a bit of tunnel vision, blah, blah..

The fact is JC is on the wrong side of 30 and this team still needs to develop a few pieces before they are true contenders again.
JC also has a player option next summer for approx $14mil. If he keeps playing this way I don't see him picking up that option. This might be JC's last chance to sign a big contract especially if he keeps putting up big stats in a starting role.

Jazz already have a potential replacement in the JC 6th man role in Sexton. Maybe the organization wants to develop Sexton into more of a PG but let's be honest he's paid like a 6th man for the next 4 years and don't see him suddenly developing into the next great lead guard..it would be great for the Jazz but highly unlikely.

So what happens to JC? Is he playing so good he will play himself off the team and traded to a contender by the deadline? Will the Jazz resign him to a big contract next summer at age 31?
I'm reading headlines today that the Jazz are super reluctant to deal him. Is that some kind of smokescreen to get the Lakers, Suns, Bucks, etc to up their offer?

What's everybody's opinion on Clarkson potentially being traded by the deadline?

From everything I've heard it appears Ryan Smith is a big JC guy. I think most of the fanbase love him too. If I was given truth serum I'd probably admit he was my 2nd favorite Jazzman after Rudy the past few seasons. Yes I realize he shot them out of some games, had a bit of tunnel vision, blah, blah..

The fact is JC is on the wrong side of 30 and this team still needs to develop a few pieces before they are true contenders again.
JC also has a player option next summer for approx $14mil. If he keeps playing this way I don't see him picking up that option. This might be JC's last chance to sign a big contract especially if he keeps putting up big stats in a starting role.

Jazz already have a potential replacement in the JC 6th man role in Sexton. Maybe the organization wants to develop Sexton into more of a PG but let's be honest he's paid like a 6th man for the next 4 years and don't see him suddenly developing into the next great lead guard..it would be great for the Jazz but highly unlikely.

So what happens to JC? Is he playing so good he will play himself off the team and traded to a contender by the deadline? Will the Jazz resign him to a big contract next summer at age 31?
I'm reading headlines today that the Jazz are super reluctant to deal him. Is that some kind of smokescreen to get the Lakers, Suns, Bucks, etc to up their offer?
Jordan Clarkson is currently a starter.

I'm not a huge Clarkson fan, but as a scorer he's miles ahead of Sexton right now.

From everything I've heard it appears Ryan Smith is a big JC guy.

Welcome to the Danny Ainge era, where there's a 75% chance that anything you hear in the media about our players or assets is a smokescreen to drive up value and create more favorable conditions for a trade.

Remember all the "Jazz don't want RJ Barrett" tweets before it was revealed that every Mitchell trade had him as a centerpiece?

Welcome to the Danny Ainge era, where there's a 75% chance that anything you hear in the media about our players or assets is a smokescreen to drive up value and create more favorable conditions for a trade.

Remember all the "Jazz don't want RJ Barrett" tweets before it was revealed that every Mitchell trade had him as a centerpiece?
The Jazz didn't want RJ Barrett that badly

At that stage, Hardy manage the roster pretty welll. The only small adjustment i will make is to give less min to Mike and a bit more for Sexton. But overall, he is pretty impressive. If the Lakers don't make a move soon, they will be in the tanking race....

Lol all the dude said was all the packages we heard about had Barrett as the centerpiece.

You guys are funny.
And notice how the Jazz ended up doing none of the packages you heard about. I think the Jazz didn't hate RJ, but he was definitely secondary to 3 unprotected picks.

At that stage, Hardy manage the roster pretty welll. The only small adjustment i will make is to give less min to Mike and a bit more for Sexton. But overall, he is pretty impressive. If the Lakers don't make a move soon, they will be in the tanking race....
I dont think the Lakers will be tanking will they? Unless they trade LeBron and AD?

Great, they can tank for the Pelicans.

It will be a damn horror show if Pels get gifted Victor due to the Lakers total incompetence. Imagine having to go up against Zion, Ingram, Victor, Nance, Valanciunas frontline rotation not to mention all the guards/wings on their roster (CJ, Herb, Alvarado, Murphy). They were just gifted Dyson Daniels who I really loved in this past draft due to the Lakers and that AD trade.

Hopefully Silver steps in behind the scenes on this Laker situation. How ridiculous to basically tank away another season waiting for the Westbrook contract to expire when they have Lebron on their roster.

I assume they are trying to raise the trade value of the vets (Conley, Gay, etc) for the first 30 games and/or use best efforts to make sure that Utah is good enough for someone (Lauri or Clarkson) to be in the All Star game. Post All Star game, I assume Conley will be traded and/or “away from team” and Sexton will be starting.

How often does a Vet's trade value actually change from playing them? Seems like something we talk about a lot, but I don't think it happens a lot. A vet can just as easily stink and lower his trade value....but ultimately I don't really think vets' trade values change all that much. It has to be some crazy change in opinion like CP3 on the Thunder.

We just topped 1000 pages in this thread, at least the way my view is set up. Unbelievable. The biggest trade thread we have ever had? Highly likely.