What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Not gonna figure out how they made it work but Phoenix won't do the deal... adds salary this year and next for guys that aren't useful for them. They'd likely just let Jae's deal expire.
Maybe right, but I think Grayson would be very useful to them, he's a sizeable upgrade to Shamet.

Jazz could also take back Shamet if the Suns were willing to give up their 1st.

Sexton is honestly a must-trade if the long-term planning is extending Jordan Clarkson.
Why? Thus far they have been fine when sharing the court. If JC extends it will be no more than 120% of his salary next year. If we drafted Anthony Black and put him out there with them it'd seem to be a fine backcourt group.

And I know advanced stats arent always the best, but god damn, Sexton has a -2.06 Lebron rating.

Jazz need to get off him ASAP with his basic stats looking good.

The Suns are another team that should be a natural trade partner for the Jazz.

Their current weakness is backup guard play. Most teams desperately needs wings, but the Suns are one of the few teams where the bigger need is guard play.

I will be surprised if anything happens on or around the 15th regarding Utah though. Since the playoff race is so tight, I doubt anyone is super desperate to get a deal done. Everyone can afford to wait and attempt to improve their own leverage.

Why? Thus far they have been fine when sharing the court. If JC extends it will be no more than 120% of his salary next year. If we drafted Anthony Black and put him out there with them it'd seem to be a fine backcourt group.

I’d venture to say the Sexton/Clarkson backcourt has been really good.

Sexton/Clarkson and Sexton/Olynyk have the two highest 2-player offensive ratings on the entire team. It’s not a small sample either we’re talking 344+ minutes for both.

I’d venture to say the Sexton/Clarkson backcourt has been really good.
I wouldn't say really good, but better than I expected.
Now, as much as I love Clarkson, you've got to trade him if you get a good offer. It makes no sense keeping him unless DA thinks he can trade for a star and get back to competing in a year or two.

Gozlan: One guy I’ve kept my eye on as soon as the contract was signed is Collin Sexton with Utah… While I’m sure they view him as a potential contributor for the next great Jazz team, I also feel with that contract, even if he projects to top out as a high-end backup in his current role right now, I think you can look at him now as a potential asset flip in the future if the right deal comes along. There’s no rush to move him right now. They’re still playing well. I think that’ll come down a bit more.

Scotto: Danny Ainge wanted to give Will Hardy an opportunity to have a group of guys he could work with and develop a culture there, especially as a first-year head coach. I’ve heard Utah has been impressed with Lauri Markkanen. It would take a lot for Utah to trade him. Utah also wants to extend Jordan Clarkson, who owner Ryan Smith likes a lot. The rest of the roster is expendable, including Sexton, as you mentioned, especially with Utah coming back down to earth following the team’s hot start.

Utah and Indiana are two teams that, in a way, have kind of screwed up the trade market a little bit because they’ve gotten off to such good starts, but the pendulum should swing back the other way.

This is the entire quote. Does this tell us anything we don’t already know? Where exactly is the trade rumor in this quote?

The Sexton/Clarkson backcourt is fantastic if your aspirations are battling for a play in seed every year.
It isn't championship quality and may not be a perfect fit. I don't think of it as JC and Sexton though... I think of it as JC/Sexton/Mike (for now) and maybe it becomes a different player that fits the parts together later - Lonzo, Dyson Daniels, prime Joe Ingles, Caruso... Maybe Black or Wallace are that guy.

Wouldn't be the strength of the team but I wouldn't just break those two up unless there was something better on the roster or something we can trade for. You can trade one later to create more upside. Currently playing JC and Collin with the starting frontcourt has gone quite well.

I don't think Sexton has a ton of trade value right now... I think his value likely increases from here. I get why you think he limits the upside of the team but we are like 3-4 steps away from that issue... and if we get there in the next two years and he takes a back seat as the third guard it is a role he is suited for and I see no reason that guy would sulk.

It isn't championship quality and may not be a perfect fit. I don't think of it as JC and Sexton though... I think of it as JC/Sexton/Mike (for now) and maybe it becomes a different player that fits the parts together later - Lonzo, Dyson Daniels, prime Joe Ingles, Caruso... Maybe Black or Wallace are that guy.

Wouldn't be the strength of the team but I wouldn't just break those two up unless there was something better on the roster or something we can trade for. You can trade one later to create more upside. Currently playing JC and Collin with the starting frontcourt has gone quite well.

I don't think Sexton has a ton of trade value right now... I think his value likely increases from here. I get why you think he limits the upside of the team but we are like 3-4 steps away from that issue... and if we get there in the next two years and he takes a back seat as the third guard it is a role he is suited for and I see no reason that guy would sulk.
Let's say the Jazz get teh #2 pick. Would drafting Scoot change your mind about the need to trade Sexton?

I don't know about sulking, but you have to remember this is a guy who's only a few years removed from essentially being the Cavs franchise player (yes, I know he was really more of a tank commander, but he was treated like a star there at that point and got all the spoils)... there's zero chance he's gonna be happy with a 3rd guard role anywhere. Particularly with new contract negotiations approaching fast.

I don't know about sulking, but you have to remember this is a guy who's only a few years removed from essentially being the Cavs franchise player (yes, I know he was really more of a tank commander, but he was treated like a star there at that point and got all the spoils)... there's zero chance he's gonna be happy with a 3rd guard role anywhere. Particularly with new contract negotiations approaching fast.
There is no way he will be happy with the role he is currently happy in? Yall are projecting a bit here. He's being coached hard and held accountable... he's responded. Not sure why we all assume as he matures he wouldn't continue to respond positively. If we are winning I doubt he will look back at his Cavs days like "man I loved scoring 25 a night and getting my *** kicked every night... that was super fun."

Let's say the Jazz get teh #2 pick. Would drafting Scoot change your mind about the need to trade Sexton?
Maybe... I wouldn't want both Sexton and JC in that scenario cuz ball handling duties will go to Scoot. I'd move one of em. If Sexton is backing up Scoot and playing 10-15 minutes alongside him I see no issue there. Would want a couple wings with them that shoot the **** out of the ball next to them. Might even start Sexton but not have him finish games. And again... ya cross that bridge when you get there.

I prefer to have multiple creators and am not in love with the super helio-centric models some teams are building.

Maybe... I wouldn't want both Sexton and JC in that scenario cuz ball handling duties will go to Scoot. I'd move one of em. If Sexton is backing up Scoot and playing 10-15 minutes alongside him I see no issue there. Would want a couple wings with them that shoot the **** out of the ball next to them. Might even start Sexton but not have him finish games. And again... ya cross that bridge when you get there.

I prefer to have multiple creators and am not in love with the super helio-centric models some teams are building.
Who do you think has more value: Sexton or Clarkson?

Who do you think has more value: Sexton or Clarkson?
Depends on the suitor... to a contender? JC - shorter deal, more established, has done it off the bench and as a starter now.

To a team looking more towards the future? Sexton.

Overall I think its JC. I think Sexton's value has a chance to increase if he continues to improve.

I'm still of the opinion a tank is the right course... so I would trade literally anyone on the roster for the right price.

Depends on the suitor... to a contender? JC - shorter deal, more established, has done it off the bench and as a starter now.

To a team looking more towards the future? Sexton.

Overall I think its JC. I think Sexton's value has a chance to increase if he continues to improve.

I'm still of the opinion a tank is the right course... so I would trade literally anyone on the roster for the right price.
If tanking is the goal then you want to keep Sexton as the starter. He will probably get pretty good general stats on good efficiency without making the team win too much.