What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

What if Sexton started and was really good… *gasp* we can’t have that he has to be the 6th man.
I remember prior to this season everyone thought clarkson could only be a sixth man. Also remember people (myself included) saying clarkson would start and be the tank commander taking a to a near league worst record with his inefficient chucking.
Instead i hear talk of him being an all star now and a piece we should re-sign and him having the best year of his career.

Also, if we trade conley and that is the sole reason Sexton starts then would that really feel like a promotion to him? Also if we were terrible with him as the starting point guard then maybe he would understand being moved back to the bench. Especially if his individual game suffered.

Could also be the case that we are worse with him starting in regards to assists and "running the offense" but we get more fast break points, more points from the line, more deflections etc.

Some teams are really good without having a big time assist dude and floor general because they have multiple guys who can get their own buckets efficiently. Do the bucks or celtics or clippers have wonderful floor generals for example? Pelicans? grizzlies? (I honestly dont know as I dont follow many teams besides the jazz)

If Sexton continues, and even improves on, getting his own buckets efficiently and clarkson does too and lauri does too (he is extremely easy to set up as he can score from anywhere in any way. Curls, three ball, mid range, post up, rim runs, transition, iso, etc. Not hard to get an offensive player as good as him buckets) then maybe we can be one of the good teams who lack the "floor general assist guy"

What kind of a return do you think LeBron could get?
It's hard to really say because I think it'd be very similar to the KD situation. I'm sure the Lakers would be seeking a kings ransom but I think a lot of teams would be hesitant to gut their roster for a 40 year old LeBron. His cap number also makes it complicated because the other team would have to be sending a star player on a big deal of a ton of guys to make it work financially.

I've seen Ben Simmons + filler + picks as a potential package. I also wonder if the Cavaliers would be interested but that seems unlikely considering their limited draft assets due to the Donovan trade.

Where would the Lakers' season be now if they had Conley, Bojan and Clarkson/Beasley instead of Westbrook?
Better than it is now certainly. Probably still wouldn't win it all though and would have less picks going forward.

I don't think that is the thing to be afraid of... I think the situation where he plays "meh" as a starter but he thinks he was awesome is the issue. We hear guys all the time declare they are a starter in the league or an all-star in the league, etc. etc. The stuff matters and there may be a (potentially big) difference between what the coaching staff and FO think he is providing and what he thinks he is providing.

Like why is Rudy Gay playing right now? It's because he is owed 6M+ this year and next and will bitch to high heaven if he isn't in the rotation. May be in a situation where Collin is unhappy with the bench role and on a deal that isn't valued around the league and the situation hurts the team for a while.
I think this is more applicable to guys that are seeking new deals, Sexton just got paid. If he's really going to make a huge deal about sliding back into a bench role to the point it becomes an issue then he's probably not a great fit here anyways.

I think he gets Deandre Hunter level money... like 4/90M.
Probably about right, though maybe a bit higher with the projected cap jump next season and beyond.

As of now they are at $137 million in payroll for next season between 6 players (Booker, Ayton, Paul, Bridges, Shamet, Payne), with a projected cap of $134M and luxury line of $162M. So they could match an offer for him for ~$22M and fill out the roster with minimums from there and not be too far into the luxury. CP3 is only half guaranteed next season and not guaranteed in 2024-2025. Yeah, they are probably not in as bad of a cap situation as I hoped, this was their first season in the luxury tax. So probably a pipe dream, but maybe if they flame out bad in the playoffs and the luxury tax feels too rich for the new owner for a dysfunctional squad. Damn, this would be more promising if they still had Sarver haha.

I think this is more applicable to guys that are seeking new deals, Sexton just got paid. If he's really going to make a huge deal about sliding back into a bench role to the point it becomes an issue then he's probably not a great fit here anyways.
And if he gets upset about the demotion how strong is his trade value? Other teams would likely share our view.

There is nothing certain and both routes could provide stumbling blocks. I just think its a valid consideration. Still might have more upside than downside.

I don't think that is the thing to be afraid of... I think the situation where he plays "meh" as a starter but he thinks he was awesome is the issue. We hear guys all the time declare they are a starter in the league or an all-star in the league, etc. etc. The stuff matters and there may be a (potentially big) difference between what the coaching staff and FO think he is providing and what he thinks he is providing.

Like why is Rudy Gay playing right now? It's because he is owed 6M+ this year and next and will bitch to high heaven if he isn't in the rotation. May be in a situation where Collin is unhappy with the bench role and on a deal that isn't valued around the league and the situation hurts the team for a while.
Rudy Gay is playing mainly because Olynyk is hurt and Fonteccio is hot trash. Gay is the least bad option until Olynyk comes back.

I can't believe the Lakers are going to sacrifice this season with Lebron. Maybe behind the scenes, Lebron is giving more pressure to get more help

View: https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1618117619588149250

This is just depressing. He refuses to sign the extension in Cleveland so they don't make any trades to boost the team around him, and this time he signs the extension and they still won't make moves around him. We still have two weeks, but I will genuinely be sad if Lakers don't make any more moves. LeBron has hit Brady status where I have given up on cheering against him and now want to see how much more he can do, even if its for the Lakers.

My concern is so low because he's already done this transition from meh starter to 6th man and because there's only 32 games left. If we're doing the Conley deals we're talking about, I'm not even sure I have Sexton as a starter anyways. We could get no player back from Conley and you still don't have to start Sexton if you're so worried about his head getting too big.

For me, starting Sexton is like 99% positive and 1% concern. I want to give him that chance. I don't think we should really limit any young players opportunity out of concern that the opportunity overly inflates their ego. You could just as easily say he becomes unhappy without the starting opportunity as a 6th man who believes he's more than that. If Sexton turns out to be that dude whose ego is very overinflated, chances are he would have felt that way whether or not he's the starter for the rest of the season.

Rudy Gay is playing mainly because Olynyk is hurt and Fonteccio is hot trash. Gay is the least bad option until Olynyk comes back.
I listened to a pod with Sarah Todd on it last night. She's not my fav but she laid out the situation perfectly... he's playing to make Rudy Gay happy and to keep the peace. His comments from last year about "not doing his job" and periodic temper tantrums all support this case. The fact that Hardy has even started throwing him some vintage Rudy Gay post ups is hilarious. Hardy is managing this situation until the find an out.

And if he gets upset about the demotion how strong is his trade value? Other teams would likely share our view.

There is nothing certain and both routes could provide stumbling blocks. I just think its a valid consideration. Still might have more upside than downside.
He was always a starter in Cleveland and accepted a demotion here. I don't think opinions about Sexton are going to change drastically around the league, he's the same player here that he was in Cleveland.

He was always a starter in Cleveland and accepted a demotion here. I don't think opinions about Sexton are going to change drastically around the league, he's the same player here that he was in Cleveland.
Its different when you move teams.

My concern is so low because he's already done this transition from meh starter to 6th man and because there's only 32 games left. If we're doing the Conley deals we're talking about, I'm not even sure I have Sexton as a starter anyways. We could get no player back from Conley and you still don't have to start Sexton if you're so worried about his head getting too big.

For me, starting Sexton is like 99% positive and 1% concern. I want to give him that chance. I don't think we should really limit any young players opportunity out of concern that the opportunity overly inflates their ego. You could just as easily say he becomes unhappy without the starting opportunity as a 6th man who believes he's more than that. If Sexton turns out to be that dude whose ego is very overinflated, chances are he would have felt that way whether or not he's the starter for the rest of the season.
I think its likely to be fine one way or another... I just wouldn't completely dismiss it. I also think there are a couple guys you could draft that would be a good long term fit with Sexton as a starter. Black, Wallace, Amen, and maybe even Colby Jones.

We tend to think about what our players can do for the team. We want to maximize the team... but for Collin if he proves he is a starter quality guy and then you move him to the bench how happy is he going to be long term. We may not care but he will... starting or coming off the bench changes how a player is viewed and valued. Its hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
If he proves to be a starting quality guy but we dont have a starting spot for him on the team then it would seem like he might be a great trade piece. Another win scenario.