What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I think Lebron is going to become incredibly toxic if they don’t do something. They need to make a move that helps them this year and blunts the sting of Kyrie getting shipped to Dallas.

Jazz should give them an off ramp. . .

Give the Lakers Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson and Kelly Olynyk and offer to take back Russell Westbrook (buyout), two minimum contracts (Troy Brown and Max Christie would be preferable) and two pick swaps - 2023 (Lakers/Pels for Nets/76ers) and 2027 (Lakers for Jazz/Cavs/Wolves - I’m fine with them putting protections on it as well). Solves a lot of problems for both teams - at least in the short term.

Jazz get to improve two of their current assets - possibly significantly - and clear the deck on cap space moving forward. Lakers get three starting caliber players that should help the Lakers significantly for the next two seasons and they don’t give up their premium assets to make it happen.

I could convince myself that keeping Conley is not a terrible move, but keeping Clarkson is pretty dumb. He's a wasted asset that will be gone at the end of the year. Keeping one or the other might be alright for culture or whatever. Keeping Conley makes more sense because he still may have value next year, where keeping Clarkson does nothing for you. Keeping them both simply does not make any sense to me.

It doesn't seem like there's a ton of interest in Clarkson, I'm assuming his PO has a role in that because he could just bounce after the season.
I could be wildly wrong but i don't think JC is a flight risk. He wants 20M ish on a new deal so all the MLE teams are out. Cap space teams are Indiana, SA, Orlando, maybe the Lakers... outside of LA I am not sure anyone is making him that offer. He likely isn't getting the role he wants there. I feel pretty comfortable we can keep him.

I think he'd have interest... but he's definitely worth a first and probably worth a bit more.

I could be wildly wrong but i don't think JC is a flight risk. He wants 20M ish on a new deal so all the MLE teams are out. Cap space teams are Indiana, SA, Orlando, maybe the Lakers... outside of LA I am not sure anyone is making him that offer. He likely isn't getting the role he wants there. I feel pretty comfortable we can keep him.

I think he'd have interest... but he's definitely worth a first and probably worth a bit more.
It seems like teams are starting to get a little more stingy with 1sts

Ochai is already our Beasley replacement. If we get Kennard he is coming off the bench.
Hoping for Kennard makes no sense when we are already loaded with young guards and we are highly likely take another guard in the draft because he is the best player available.

Hoping for Kennard makes no sense when we are already loaded with young guards and we are highly likely take another guard in the draft because he is the best player available.

In that scenario we are moving Conley and Beasley.

That’s a good point although if Sexton is starting at PG we would need someone to replace his minutes as well.

It depends on what our goals are for the rest of the season. If we want to continue a playoff pursuit, the biggest drop off between Conley-Sexton is actually between Sexton-bench replacement as mentioned so we would need to get a better PG than THT/NAW. Part of me believes that if if we just stick with NAW it won't be as bad and THT is the only problematic one. I also think Kennard has some potential as a ballhandler. He showed more when he was DET.

But for me....I'm not too concerned about the playoff chase. I don't mind rolling THT and letting him vomit some mostly bad, but some good things as well. I also have been in favor of trying to scour the G-League to find a hidden gem. If you look at playing time as resource, the Jazz have a good opportunity to dedicate some of that to discovery/development. If we can use these last 30 games to find our Caruso/Jose Alvarado/Cam Payne, that is a huge win for the franchise.

There is just no reason to take the risk with Clarkson If there is a good deal to be made. If we want to bring him back then lets try to do it in the offseason with our capspace while collecting an asset. There isn't going to be any bad blood with Clarkson if we send him to a team that can compete for a title this year. Best case scenario we get Clarkson back and an asset and worst case scenario we get an asset and capspace. Both are good scenarios. I know a lot of you like Jalen McDaniels so how about we try to use some of that Clarkson money on him.

It depends on what our goals are for the rest of the season. If we want to continue a playoff pursuit, the biggest drop off between Conley-Sexton is actually between Sexton-bench replacement as mentioned so we would need to get a better PG than THT/NAW. Part of me believes that if if we just stick with NAW it won't be as bad and THT is the only problematic one. I also think Kennard has some potential as a ballhandler. He showed more when he was DET.
I disagree, I think there's a pretty significant drop off from Conley to Sexton as the primary ball handler.

Conley: 120.6 ORtg on court / 115.0 ORtg off court // 65.7% AST% on court | 57.1% AST% off court
Sexton: 118.8 ORtg on court / 117.0 ORtg off court // 58.1% AST% on court | 62.9% AST% off court

I disagree, I think there's a pretty significant drop off from Conley to Sexton as the primary ball handler.

Conley: 120.6 ORtg on court / 115.0 ORtg off court // 65.7% AST% on court | 57.1% AST% off court
Sexton: 118.8 ORtg on court / 117.0 ORtg off court // 58.1% AST% on court | 62.9% AST% off court

Does that stat account for who is on the floor with each player too. Im guessing that conley plays pretty much all of his minutes with our best player on the court with him and that might help conleys numbers.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I would hope not. I'm completely out on Ben... that's a no fly zone for me.
According to a lot of advanced stats he's still a positive impact player.

If you think about it that Simmons is only an additional year past KO/Conley, you can say your paying 40 million for a far reaching 1st rounder that will have exponential value to the Mavs in a scenario where you try to get Luka after Kyrie blows up in their face.

Does that stat account for who is on the floor with each player too. Im guessing that conley plays pretty much all of his minutes with our best player on the court with him and that might help conleys numbers.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
On the season Conley is averaging 7.6 assists, Sexton has never averaged more than 4.4 in a season. I like him but he's not a PG and that's the main reason Cleveland moved on.

Do you have the numbers for when Sexton was starting in his place? That is the comparison that matters. I think Lauri missed a couple of those games as well though.