What's new

Trade the pick

That draft pick is the only thing we have that makes Conley possibly moveable in a salary dump. I say cut our losses even more and offer Conley and our first to anybody willing to take it. The 30+ mill is far more important than gambling on a pick.

Trading #23 for a 2021 1st that is likely to be better could be very wise. Why?

- this isn't considered a strong draft

- we don't have a 2021 1st

- due to COVID, scouting is tough this year

- we save $2.3 million if we don't have to pay #23, and we might need that cap space to re-sign Clarkson and stay under the luxury

If we trade it, I would rather trade it for a current player.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

we most likely do have a 2021 pick, we just can’t trade it. We keep the pick unless it falls between 8 - 14. 2022 is the year the pick most likely goes to Memphis.

That draft pick is the only thing we have that makes Conley possibly moveable in a salary dump. I say cut our losses even more and offer Conley and our first to anybody willing to take it. The 30+ mill is far more important than gambling on a pick.

I would work this angle with the Nets. If they want to chase Kawhi, George or Giannis in 2021, they could exchange a combo of Prince, Levert or Dinwiddie to free up more salary for the chase.

Siakam was a #27 pick. OG was taken at #23. Jimmy Butler #30. Jerami Grant #39. Crowder #34. Draymond #35. PJ Tucker #35. Will Barton #40. Josh Richardson#40. Covington was undrafted.
Keldon Johnson at 29 and Eric Paschall went 41 last year.

I think that's why they are suggesting trading the pick.
#23 picks typically don't help asap. They need to be developed first

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Is that what your seeing in this years playoffs? I wanna know... Cuz I feel like I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces from college basketball the past few years of all draft ranges and ages..

I mean just the Lu Dort experience alone in that OKC-HOU series, I think, sort of makes my point.

Is that what your seeing in this years playoffs? I wanna know... Cuz I feel like I'm seeing a lot of familiar faces from college basketball the past few years of all draft ranges and ages..

I mean just the Lu Dort experience alone in that OKC-HOU series, I think, sort of makes my point.
Wesley Matthews was undrafted. The Wiz had an undrafted dude lay 28 in a game this year. Dort is a good example. Guys like that are out there.

Wesley Matthews was undrafted. The Wiz had an undrafted dude lay 28 in a game this year. Dort is a good example. Guys like that are out there.
you can't always just expect the guy you want going undrafted though. When they are undrafted, they became FA and will get to decide who they wanna sign with. And our track record with signing FAs under DL/Zanik hasn't been all that great. So why not keep the pick so at least that way you have a guaranteed chance in acquiring the prospect that you are after

you can't always just expect the guy you want going undrafted though. When they are undrafted, they became FA and will get to decide who they wanna sign with. And our track record with signing FAs under DL/Zanik hasn't been all that great. So why not keep the pick so at least that way you have a guaranteed chance in acquiring the prospect that you are after
I'm saying that if they trade the pick to get a player, there are talented college players that don't get drafted. Tucker is one of those guys and he had some nice games in the bubble before the playoffs.

Robert Williams who went 27th to Boston in 2018 has been putting up

7.5pts 5.3rebs 1blk in 16.5mpg off the bench in this series vs the raptors so far..

He had a 23.12 PER this season.

Look at Devonte Graham's season! He probably just got robbed of MIP. 34thpick in 2018.

Anunoby went 23rd!

My point is to try and downplay this range of the draft is a bit silly, this is where you can get big returns for minimal risk..

I personally would like the Jazz to keep the pick and swing for the fences with it as we don't have a first next year because of the Conley deal but still continue to prospect for hidden gems late in the 2nd or UDFAs.

If there is something good on the table I'd consider moving the pick... My worry is that the only way we go from solid playoff team to actual real-life contender is by hitting big on a pick. Even though the likelihood of that is very small.

I think we get stuck being a good playoff team (not a bad place to be... but we all want a title of course). I have become concerned that Rudy is not versatile enough in the playoffs and it will limit the ceiling of the team. Moving away from Rudy almost surely means we'd be worse but might give us an opportunity to get some magic beans that could get us to a title. It isn't just Rudy... we are seeing that Giannis can be limited in a playoff setting as well. Doesn't mean you can't build a contender with them as a centerpiece but it becomes really hard if the other pieces around them aren't super versatile and you'd also need some good cheap production to make the budget work.