What's new

Trey Lyles being held out of practice/Summer League for now

There is no trade, there is no free agent, theres only an excuse. Time for Lindsey to swallow his pride and get the guy signed. There has only been 7 occasions where the draft pick dont get the full 120% payscale since they went to the rookie payscale. It happened three time with the San Antonio Spurs(Anderson, Hill, Mahinmi) when Dennis Lindsey was the assistant GM. This is why Rich Paul and Trey Lyles knew it was going to be tricky negotiations. Dennis Lindsey got called out on the contract and used the excuse that he needs cap space for ongoing negotiations and now he has to play it out. Watch and see what happens. The issue will be resolved by the Vegas summer league when the deal he was working on suddenly falls apart. I. Dont know about the cake but the proof is in the pudding.

Quuit make stories!!! I know you dont know everything.

It's seems like an accusation based on logic.

Why would Lyles' camp anticipate complications and why does Lindsey's former team have the same history of setting up more strict bonus systems to reach full %120?

It's not like Lyles or his agent didn't want Trey to come here. They scheduled workouts here.

We don't know the full story on the other, what was it 2? cases. There could be health, behavior, issues they had concerns about. Also Lindsey was assistant GM, would he have the final say on that or Buford?

We don't know the full story on the other, what was it 2? cases. There could be health, behavior, issues they had concerns about. Also Lindsey was assistant GM, would he have the final say on that or Buford?

Dude, just admit you are obviously wrong here and Shocker is right. It's obvious.

The reports are both sides are discussing the bonus structure.

Spurs have history of setting up strict bonus structure with their rookies.

Connect the dots, it's not hard.

It was 3 of the 6 rookies who didn't reach full %120 were Spurs rookies.

Lindsey learned under Buford, it would make sense that he adopts the same strategy in signing rookie contracts that Buford and the Spurs do.

Of course, we never know %100 for certain, but this seems pretty likely Shocker is right. "Ridiculous accusation" hardly applies.

Yeah, I agree with you but he had been known to do it before although they were picks 20 or later because that is usually where the Spurs draft. It would explain the reason the Lyles camp said they knew it would be tricky negotiations. Read section three of that article I posted.

I'm sure if/when Justin Zanik gets a GM job all agents will saddle him with all the things DL did as a GM. That makes complete sense.

Its a well known fact all players play like the guy they played with and all GM's GM identically to the guy they GM'd wiff. This all started with Adam (of Adam and Eve fame). He's the hard ball son of a bitch that started it all.

Dude, just admit you are obviously wrong here and Shocker is right. It's obvious.

The reports are both sides are discussing the bonus structure.

Spurs have history of setting up strict bonus structure with their rookies.

Connect the dots, it's not hard.

Reports...you mean people guessing?

One of the more ridiculous trade possibilities I saw mentioned was the Spurs giving us Diaw and Patty Mills -- the Spurs are going after another championship this year and those guys are very important pieces coming off the bench. No way they get rid of them, not while Duncan and Ginobili are still playing and going for another championship.

Spencer Checketts ‏@1280Spence 5m5 minutes ago

Dennis Lindsey on Trey Lyles: "We will have some clarity and exciting news about Trey, maybe as early as today."

Austin Horton ‏@austinhorton 5m5 minutes ago

Dennis Lindsey reiterates to @1280Spence & @GordonMonson Lyles' contract situation is directly tied to Jazz waiting out the moratorium.

... Something is up, it doesn't make sense. If they expect agreement today then it's not directly tied to the moratorium, because it ends on 8th. It looks like DL is not entirely honest in this case.

... Something is up, it doesn't make sense. If they expect agreement today then it's not directly tied to the moratorium, because it ends on 8th. It looks like DL is not entirely honest in this case.

Yes, most likely it's just DL protecting Lyles, which is smart. Even though this is all about agent/gm interaction, fans will blame a player for being "selfish" in these situations.

Good.
He shouldn't show his cards publicly. None do.

Good.
He shouldn't show his cards publicly. None do.

I know, it just doesn't make much sense to lie about this thing specifically. As Cy said, most probably DL is trying to protect Lyles while they are negotiating the details on his contract.

So to get 120% he probably wants Lyles to play in summer league, work with the coaches, etc...I just don't see the holdup.
Gobert, Hood, Burke, Exum all got 120%

The hold up is that the agent wants more control and DL wants more control. That creates something called negotiations which take time as each side usually gives something up to reach a middle point.