What's new

Trib Article: Hayward and Burks make quick connection

Burks is not a PG and Sap is not a SF. They can both play those positions during spot minutes, but they are not suited to play big minutes at those spots.

Burks is a SG who can pass well, meaning he can play spot minutes at SG. Jordan,Kobe,Wade, and many other SG's could do this, doesn't mean they should be starting PG's.

Sap is a small PF who has enough quickness to play SF based on matchups. Against faster SF's he would be at a huge disadvantage.
Agree. It's good to have some versatility, though. There is plenty of PT for both Burks and Hayward at the wing positions. Add in CJ and that's an average of 32 mins. each, with Raja only playing (I hope) in case of injuries or foul trouble. I'm still hoping for a trade to bring in a SF. But if Burks and Hayward both start, that means the Jazz can look for a 6th-man type, likely a veteran, and not have to overspend trying to get a starter.

Also good to hear Burls say “We’re going to be teammates for the long haul, so it’s great to bond with one of my teammates.” Let's hope both these guys develop into very good players and want to stay with the Jazz.

This is great stuff. I am really excited about Burks. Unfortunately he might have to get a WoW account in order to be teammates with Gordon for 2012.

And somewhere Jeremy Evans is softly crying himself to sleep.

Unless the Jazz resign AK and Favors and Kanter come roaring out of the gates, Evans has the edge on being in the rotation full-time as a 3. It's up to him to earn that, and that would be awesome.

I still say he mostly just needs to become confident in his shot. From everything I've seen (and heard from someone that attended a practice), the kid shoots very well. Just needs reps.

Unless the Jazz resign AK and Favors and Kanter come roaring out of the gates, Evans has the edge on being in the rotation full-time as a 3. It's up to him to earn that, and that would be awesome.

I still say he mostly just needs to become confident in his shot. From everything I've seen (and heard from someone that attended a practice), the kid shoots very well. Just needs reps.

I could give him 7.

I think he meant because Burks is hanging out with Hayward, becoming his new BFF and leaving his former BFF(Evans) behind.

It's good to hear that they are getting along already. I hope they give us more news like this as the lock out goes on. With no summer leagues to read about, this is as good as it's going to get.

It is a little troubling that Gordon is having even minor achilles problems. I think Hayward can play SF effectively, he just usually has an advantage at the 2 size-wise.

I think he meant because Burks is hanging out with Hayward, becoming his new BFF and leaving his former BFF(Evans) behind.

Ah.

Well I don't know what universe some of y'all are living in, but there's plenty of room for more friends.

I seriously hope they adopt a full-on running game style. They have the thoroughbreds to do it with aplomb. Hayward leading the break with Favors on the left and Burks on the right and Sap and Kanter following up the play. That will be awesome to behold.

+1

Didn't want to make a new thread for it since I'm guessing most probably have read it but with it being a slow summer maybe I should. Here is a SLTrib on Gordy's summer and how he hurt his ankle:

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/52247429-62/really-think-ankle-anything.html.csp
Hurting his ankle and how it happened: It actually was kind of weird. I was in Santa Barbara. I've been there three times this summer and it was my third time. I think I was doing a movement that was kind of new to me and I think I just overdid it a little bit. It kind of hurt my Achilles just a slight bit — it tightened up. The next day I sprained my ankle and I didn't even know it. You know when you sprain your ankle and you're like, 'Wow, I just sprained my ankle.' I didn't even really like know it. Then the next day, I was looking down and my ankle was all swollen and it was like, 'Whoa. I can't even do anything.' But the thing that has kept me out so far is I've had just a little bit of Achilles tendinitis. … It happened in Santa Barbara, but I've just kind of been cautious. I could go out there and play, but I'd rather just rest it and get fully better rather than risk doing something else. Because in the end, it's just a Pro Am game. Instead of playing, I've just been working double-time on ballhandling and spot shooting, and then of course I do other things everyday, too. … It's just kind of being cautious. St. Vincent knows exactly what they're doing and so I kind of just follow their instruction. … I don't think it's anything serious by any means. If I would've had this during the season I would've just played. I did play through a lot of stuff and I've always just played through everything. … I really haven't had any [major] injuries. I've been lucky for that.
only quoted the hurt ankle part of the article.

Focus during offseason: Everything has got to get better. But for me, I'm really stressing this year on my ballhandling. I think I felt I was a little loose at times with the ball last year and it's something that I really want to pick up and improve. Of course, consistency with the jumpsuit. It was really good at the end of the season but it needs to be better at the beginning and throughout. And then just everything else in between — working on different moves and different stuff like that. I think I'll try to work on everything, but ballhandling is going to be a big key for me this year.

Gordo rocking a jumpsuit?

tumblr_lgsr409EhD1qaqfpco1_500.jpg

The hooded jumpsuit, very little room for improvement on that design.

Ah.

Well I don't know what universe some of y'all are living in, but there's plenty of room for more friends.

Personally, I thought the post you're having so much trouble understanding was extremely clever, but maybe that's because BFFdom is often treated as an all important issue in my very dramatic nine year old daughter's life. So maybe you're right. You simply don't know the universe some of us are living in. Still, I'd think a cowardly lion would be all over this stuff. You must be an imposter.

Gordo rocking a jumpsuit?

tumblr_lgsr409EhD1qaqfpco1_500.jpg
I can't thank you enough for pasting this order form into your message. Look for me in the lower bowl next year. I have a feeling I'm going to be pretty easy to spot. I'll be the only guy in the arena whose swaddled head to toe in luxurious sky blue terrycloth.

Burks is not a PG and Sap is not a SF. They can both play those positions during spot minutes, but they are not suited to play big minutes at those spots.

Burks is a SG who can pass well, meaning he can play spot minutes at SG. Jordan,Kobe,Wade, and many other SG's could do this, doesn't mean they should be starting PG's.

Sap is a small PF who has enough quickness to play SF based on matchups. Against faster SF's he would be at a huge disadvantage.

Of course no player has ever been successful playing a different position in the NBA than the position he played in college right? Then according to your great wisdom Hayward should never be considered as a full time shooting guard, because he was a small forward in college, and Favors should never get a chance at center because he has always played power forward right. I hope Hayward becomes a border line all-star at shooting guard and Favors becomes the starting center for the Jazz several years from now, then you can put that in your pipe and smoke it. Tell me genius if we did not have Jefferson or Millsap and had to play Favors and Kanter next year who would play center and who would play power forward for the Jazz based on their current skill set?