What's new

Trump's Coup Attempt

Well, the SC just told the Texas to **** off entirely so I guess that's not going to work for them. Guess those conservative judges aren't just going to do Trump's bidding.

1-57 record in cases now - but hey, they're going to the NBA Finals if you listen to them.

LLLooooo- SSSeerrrrrrr!

Well, the SC just told the Texas to **** off entirely so I guess that's not going to work for them. Guess those conservative judges aren't just going to do Trump's bidding.

1-57 record in cases now - but hey, they're going to the NBA Finals if you listen to them.

Beat me to it. This was the last ditch effort. Monday Trump will take the L from the electors

Best article I've seen about Trumpism.

From The Atlantic Magazine:

"The most mendacious of Trump’s predecessors would have been careful to limit these thoughts to private recording systems. Trump spoke them openly, not because he couldn’t control his impulses, but intentionally, even systematically, in order to demolish the norms that would otherwise have constrained his power. To his supporters, his shamelessness became a badge of honesty and strength. They grasped the message that they, too, could say whatever they wanted without apology. To his opponents, fighting by the rules—even in as small a way as calling him “President Trump”—seemed like a sucker’s game. So the level of American political language was everywhere dragged down, leaving a gaping shame deficit."

Trump’s barrage of falsehoods—as many as 50 daily in the last fevered months of the 2020 campaign—complemented his unconcealed brutality. Lying was another variety of shamelessness. Just as he said aloud what he was supposed to keep to himself, he lied again and again about matters of settled fact—the more brazen and frequent the lie, the better. Two days after the polls closed, with the returns showing him almost certain to lose, Trump stood at the White House podium and declared himself the winner of an election that his opponent was trying to steal.

This crowning conspiracy theory of Trump’s presidency activated his entitled children, compliant staff, and sycophants in Congress and the media to issue dozens of statements declaring that the election was fraudulent. Following the mechanism of every big lie of the Trump years, the Republican Party establishment fell in line. Within a week of Election Day, false claims of voter fraud in swing states had received almost 5 million mentions in the press and on social media. In one poll, 70 percent of Republican voters concluded that the election hadn’t been free or fair."

Last edited:
And leave a trail of scars that millions of people will think the election was stolen against him. It’s dangerous especially to crazies who will consider doing unthinkable acts.
Trying to come up with what benefit Trump thinks he'll gain personally from this and that's the only one I can. Who knows why he thinks it's good for him.

I'm sure many of you think he's dumb enough to think he honestly believes he can win in court but I don't. This is a dumb sideshow, and the whole thing is laughably silly IMO that so many are taking it any more seriously than a SNL skit.

The best and most logical part of this is the Trumpers saying there are thousands of signed affidavits about voter fraud but Gulianni and Trump are hitching their wagons to Melissa "Fake Sopranos Strip Club" "Sex Criminal" "Impossibly Delusional" "Coming Soft with No real Evidence" Carrone.

This was not a sideshow! It is a precedent for the future where the Republican Party and elections are concerned.

....the answer to “How many Americans believe in a baseless conspiracy that the election was stolen?” is “Too many.”

Expect a new norm to take root in the Republican Party that any lost election is a stolen election. Wholesale attempts to restrict voting (that make voter-ID laws look mild by comparison) and actual corruption of the election process may follow. It may be that Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah) will be the last Republican to concede a presidential election. Pressuring election officials to change the results could become commonplace.

The Great Leader is never wrong” is the most fundamental principle of closed, authoritarian societies. When communism was crumbling in Poland, people began to put up signs that read “2 + 2 = 4,” a clever reminder that in a totalitarian state, reality is the province of the state and obedience to falsehoods is a requirement for survival.

The Republican Party, ironically the party that used to defend objective reality and scorn victim-mongering, now thrives as an institution in which people, as Trump said at a recent rally, think “we’re all victims” and accept Trump’s alternative reality. Maybe one day an American Lech Walesa will arrive in the Trump heartland and revive the spirit of democracy. Until then, the GOP remains the “2 + 2 = 5” party.

Last edited:
It could be argued that the Republican AG’s of 17 states, and 126 GOP House members who backed the Texas lawsuit knew the SC would not even hear the case, and so they could safely support their leader without truly endangering American democracy. Don’t buy that argument. The Republican Party has made clear they do not believe Democrats even have a right to win elections. This is not a side show. The Republican Party would end democracy in America in a heartbeat. They lost. This time.

Not a sideshow....

To Trump’s strongest supporters, Biden’s win is a fraud because his voters should not count to begin with, and because the Democratic Party is not a legitimate political institution that should be allowed to wield power even if they did.

This is why the authoritarian remedies festering in the Trump fever swamps—martial law, the usurpation of state electors, Supreme Court fiat—are so openly contemplated. Because the true will of the people is that Trump remain president, forcing that outcome, even in the face of defeat, is a fulfillment of democracy rather than its betrayal.

The conviction that the rival political constituency cannot, under any circumstances, legitimately hold power has not yet resulted in widespread violence. But it remains incompatible with democracy, which requires the assent of its losers and the peaceful transfer of power between factions.

When they say the 2020 election was stolen, Trumpists are expressing their view that the votes of rival constituencies should not count, even though they understand, on some level, that they do. They are declaring that the nation belongs to them and them alone, whether or not they actually comprise a majority, because they are the only real Americans to begin with.

Trying to come up with what benefit Trump thinks he'll gain personally from this and that's the only one I can. Who knows why he thinks it's good for him.

I'm sure many of you think he's dumb enough to think he honestly believes he can win in court but I don't. This is a dumb sideshow, and the whole thing is laughably silly IMO that so many are taking it any more seriously than a SNL skit.

One personal reason that i can think of. He has raised millions of dollars for his legal teams fund to fight the election results. (Spoiler alert, it isnt going to his legal team). So number one, he is getting hella money from this.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

It's 100% hubris. There's no strategy here - no long game.

He's lived most of his adult life insulated from his mistakes and failures by a thick layer of *** kissers and yes men - he wants to wish this away like everything else that doesn't fit his reality.

Yeah, the grift from his followers is there as an ancillary benefit - but he does that with everything. If it wasn't this it'd be Trump University or Trump Steaks or Trump Vodka, etc....

Look, I know I am going to come across as a conspiracy monger when I say this, but I can't shake the feeling that the thing that best explains all of Trump's actions is that he is indeed Putin's patsy. If you look at his presidency through the lens of who benefits, the answer is primarily Russia. We are retreating from being the sole super power, our alliances are fraying, we have state representatives openly calling for secession from the US and the formation of an alternative union of like minded states.

A divided US is a weaker competitor on the international stage. And we are certainly more divided than we have ever been in my life time.

Sent from my CPH1907 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think there is obviously a lot more to all this then we can see. But I also think it's partly psychological issues, such as rampant narcissistic personality disorder, and I think everyone on board with the hijacking of the election is exhibiting a form of mass delusion or hysteria. Collective obsessional behavior for one. This actually describes Trump's behavior and rabid supporters pretty well. And it's pretty damn scary.

In sociology and psychology, mass hysteria (also known as mass psychogenic illness, collective hysteria, group hysteria, or collective obsessional behavior) is a phenomenon that transmits collective illusions of threats, whether real or imaginary, through a population and society as a result of rumors and fear.[1][2]