What's new

Ultimate place to live...

I lived alone on roughly 50 acres in the Eastern Townships of Quebec for 3 years (commuted about an hour to and from school). It was pretty ****ing fantastic; I miss it all the time. My hope is that eventually I can find a rewarding job close enough to a rural area that pays me enough to buy 20+ acres with a significant woodlot (preferably with water, of course), and someone to share it with.

CallmeMaybe

Absolutely. You can wholeheartedly like other places better. You just can't put forth inaccurate statements regarding specific locales. And you're right, there is NOT a "world class" ski resort near LA but the ones we do have are not bad. Many people get their ski and snowboard on. In regards to mountain biking trails, you're dead wrong. Sorry, dude, I know about this stuff first hand.

I can appreciate liking season changes. Personally speaking, winter along with snow is overrated in my opinion. It's great to visit a place that has snow but to deal with it for months on end is whatever.

In LA, you can wake up early enough and go surf some solid swells at a sparsely surfed beach, go climbing (cycling) local mountain ranges and then go skiing or snowboarding...and still be home in time for dinner at a world renowned restaurant. There are not to many cities that afford you these possibilities.

Absolutely. You can wholeheartedly like other places better. You just can't put forth inaccurate statements regarding specific locales. And you're right, there is NOT a "world class" ski resort near LA but the ones we do have are not bad. Many people get their ski and snowboard on. In regards to mountain biking trails, you're dead wrong. Sorry, dude, I know about this stuff first hand.

I can appreciate liking season changes. Personally speaking, winter along with snow is overrated in my opinion. It's great to visit a place that has snow but to deal with it for months on end is whatever.

In LA, you can wake up early enough and go surf some solid swells at a sparsely surfed beach, go climbing (cycling) local mountain ranges and then go skiing or snowboarding...and still be home in time for dinner at a world renowned restaurant. There are not to many cities that afford you these possibilities.

That would be pretty sweet to surf and snowboard in the same day. Shoveling snow for like five months sucks...

I didn't say the trails are bad. What I meant was that trails anywhere can be great. It all depends on who builds them, like downhill trails and what not. Anyway, I just like the trails with views of ranges like the Tetons, wasatch and glacier national park.

That would be pretty sweet to surf and snowboard in the same day. Shoveling snow for like five months sucks...

I didn't say the trails are bad. What I meant was that trails anywhere can be great. It all depends on who builds them, like downhill trails and what not. Anyway, I just like the trails with views of ranges like the Tetons, wasatch and glacier national park.

Shoveling snow for anything longer than a week is not something I ever want to experience! Ha. I understand you on the trails. And the Tetons and Wasatch are fire!!!!

I just personally don't like the outdoor stuff that LA has to offer. For some, it is great. But I like living by world class ski resorts, awesome rivers, and great mountain biking/hiking. I am sure you can get some great mountain biking/hiking in the LA area, but you have to drive like hours to get out of the city, and then drive to the mountains.

I am not afraid of cold water though, but I can see why some dont like surfing in the pacific. If I was a surfer, I would probably live in Southern California. I am sure LA is awesome, but I just don't personally like it.

I know others have already got on you for this, but mountain activities are not hours away from LA. I live 15 mins from dodger stadium, 20 from Staples, 40 mins from the beach, 15 mins from some great hiking/biking trail heads, and under an hour to trailheads leading to Mt. Baldy which has a 10,000 foot elevation.

My friend bikes from his house to the trails as well since they are so close. Next time you are in LA just look to the northeast and you'll see mountains just a few miles away that offer you everything, but skiing.

There's a lot to hate about LA, but the outdoors isn't it.

Anyway, I loved Seattle when I went there, but probably couldn't handle the rainy seasons. Montreal would probably be in my top 3 too. Pacific Palisades is a pretty sweet location as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: