What's new

Utah has claimed Forward Malcolm Thomas off waivers.

Thomas played for the Spurs a couple years ago, so possible that Lindsay scouted him at some point and liked him.

Only one game for the Spurs this season, but he grabbed 9 boards in 15 minutes.

Could mean a trade is brewing, or could just mean he's a prospect that they wanted to take a look at. Still, couldn't they have let his contract expire and then pick him up on a 10-day? Unless they knew someone else wanted him, that would have worked.

at the end of the season? Out of the blue pick up, but exciting to see something happen.

at the end of the season? Out of the blue pick up, but exciting to see something happen.
No, not at the end of the season. I should have been more clear. 48 hours after being waived he would have cleared waivers and become a free agent. That's what I was talking about. At that point (sometime today) he would have been available to sign with any team on a 10-day contract.

Given that they didn't wait and are now paying him for the rest of the season, I assume Lindsay really likes him.

Contract also continues to next season but I suspect it's not guaranteed.

No, not at the end of the season. I should have been more clear. 48 hours after being waived he would have cleared waivers and become a free agent. That's what I was talking about. At that point (sometime today) he would have been available to sign with any team on a 10-day contract.

Given that they didn't wait and are now paying him for the rest of the season, I assume Lindsay really likes him.

Contract also continues to next season but I suspect it's not guaranteed.

So Utah has to pay the rest of his contract instead of San Antonio doing so. Hmmm...sounds like Lindsey is doing a favor for his old bosses. Suspect Dennis just wanted to let everyone know he isn't asleep at the wheel. That way, when nothing happens at the deadline, he can say...hey, we essentially swapped Harris for the dude from SA. What's his name, again?

The worst bench player in SA is >>>>>>> than 50% of Utah's roster.

Why... Pay a guy millions of dollars to get picked up by a contender!????
I just can't see anyone picking Biedrins up. He's done. I had hoped that he could revitalize himself and contribute for 5-10 minutes a night (low ceiling), but it hasn't happened. He last played (two minutes) 40 days ago.

That said, they shouldn't waive him until after the deadline. It's unlikely that they could use him in a deal, but just in case, they should hang on to that contract until there's ZERO chance. He's not making waves in the locker room; he's happy to sit on the bench and clap.

It's just like the DeMarre Carroll pickup - a guy they like, who other teams have given up on, but the Jazz think they can bring out whatever hidden quality it is they can see that no-one else does.

And can we please stop with the "Ooooh, there's a trade coming!" every time we pick someone up or cut someone? It didn't happen with Tinsley, Garrett, or Harris, or after any number of transactions in previous years, no reason to think it'll happen now.

Latest rumor is that Kanter is on the trading block so they picked Malcolm up to play the 5.
poster.jpg

He killed the Utes when he played for SDSU. He was extremely athletic and long. We do already have 6 bigs so something has to be up

It's just like the DeMarre Carroll pickup - a guy they like, who other teams have given up on, but the Jazz think they can bring out whatever hidden quality it is they can see that no-one else does.

And can we please stop with the "Ooooh, there's a trade coming!" every time we pick someone up or cut someone? It didn't happen with Tinsley, Garrett, or Harris, or after any number of transactions in previous years, no reason to think it'll happen now.

Yeah, but those cuts had a reason. This was totally unexpected and like someone mentioned up above we are giving him the rest of the season, not just a 10 day contract.

Yeah, but those cuts had a reason. This was totally unexpected and like someone mentioned up above we are giving him the rest of the season, not just a 10 day contract.
Agree it is different. But the fact that Malcom is a SA cast-off gives me LESS optimism. No doubt Lindsey was familiar with him when Dennis was in SA. Picking him up off waivers guarantees Utah gets him; otherwise, 28 other teams could offer him a FA contract. In fact, you could look at this in a completely different light: now the Jazz have a full roster and have less maneuverability for trades. Perhaps DL has found a very soft market for the likes of RJ, MW and BR and realizes that he'll just have to hold those contracts for the rest of the season. despite Corbin having tried to build their trade value (at least in the case of RJ and MW) with heavy minutes and starting roles to this point

...despite Corbin having tried to build their trade value (at least in the case of RJ and MW) with heavy minutes and starting roles to this point
Barely more than 1/2 a game is not 'heavy minutes'. And they have had secondary roles in the offence. All of the core 5 average more minutes and shots than RJ or MW, except Kanter averages slightly fewer minutes due to the way he played so poorly to start the season. The perception that 'Crobin favor teh vets' is false.

Barely more than 1/2 a game is not 'heavy minutes'. And they have had secondary roles in the offence. All of the core 5 average more minutes and shots than RJ or MW, except Kanter averages slightly fewer minutes due to the way he played so poorly to start the season. The perception that 'Crobin favor teh vets' is false.

I doubt that any of the other 29 teams in the nba would have started Jefferson for crying out loud, especially because we have young promising players in a year of development!

I doubt that any of the other 29 teams in the nba would have started Jefferson for crying out loud, especially because we have young promising players in a year of development!

I guess it really depends what the plan for burks is in the future. I mean, if the front office etc. see him as the 6th man of this team going forward (which i can fully understand), then why not put him in that role now and use Jefferson as filler in the starting lineup?

I guess it really depends what the plan for burks is in the future. I mean, if the front office etc. see him as the 6th man of this team going forward (which i can fully understand), then why not put him in that role now and use Jefferson as filler in the starting lineup?

It's definitely an option, I just feel like all the young players should have been given the opportunity to start at the beginning of the season, then get moved to the bench if it was working. But it's still good to see them get some more consistent minutes and I wouldn't be surprised if they are starting after the all-star break or something.