What's new

Utah Hikes

The Thriller

I love summer for the great weather, bbqing, and hiking!

Yesterday, I completed the Willow Heights hike up Big Cottonwood. It was steeper than I thought but it was pretty short (about 2.2 miles) and almost completely in the shade. I think I did the round trip in a little bit over an hour and that was with me taking breaks (out of shape) and stopping to enjoy the scenery. The aspens were amazing and some of the wildflowers were coming out. It was beautiful.

I still want to do Lake Blanche and Lake Desolation. Have you gone on those hikes? What did you think? Any other hike suggestions?

Not sure how feasible Zion is for you but there are numerous hikes, ranging from beginner to hard 2 day hikes in southern and middle Utah.

Calf Creek, Kannarraville Falls, Angels Landing, The Subway and Coyote Hollow for example.

I did the Lake Blanche hike in 1979. I've never been much of a hiker so it was a little difficult but not terrible. And it was worth it.

But I suppose a lot might have changed since then.

Dog lake kicked my *** a few years ago

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I did the Lake Blanche hike in 1979. I've never been much of a hiker so it was a little difficult but not terrible. And it was worth it.

But I suppose a lot might have changed since then.

That's on the list but I'm going to wait a while to get into better shape for that one. I've heard that's pretty steep. Is it?

Dog lake kicked my *** a few years ago

Isn't that right before Desolation lake as you're going up the main road on Big Cottonwood? I think it is. I think it goes Dog Lake, then the Mill D (Desolation Lake), then Willow Heights (did that), and right after that you're up at the Silver Lake parking lot.

Not sure how feasible Zion is for you but there are numerous hikes, ranging from beginner to hard 2 day hikes in southern and middle Utah.

Calf Creek, Kannarraville Falls, Angels Landing, The Subway and Coyote Hollow for example.

I heard they got rid of the log ladder for Kannarraville Falls. Is that true? I've never done that one.

I've always wanted to do the Subway as well. When did you do that? I'm always anxious about Zion because the crowds can be overwhelming and the summer heat. However, I'm guessing the Subway is probably a lot cooler in the summer so it might be nice. I've only been to Zion once.

I have a few videos of some hikes on my YouTube Channel.

Hikes I've done.
Observation Point -Zion.
Pretty much parts of every hike at Bryce starting at Sunset Point.
Mossy Cave and Falls - easy and beautiful.
Roast me. Haha

I just climbed Topaz Mountain last week.

I'm going to hike to Silver Flat Lake this weekend. I have a ton more I want to do this year too.

I have a few videos of some hikes on my YouTube Channel.

Hikes I've done.
Observation Point -Zion.
Pretty much parts of every hike at Bryce starting at Sunset Point.
Mossy Cave and Falls - easy and beautiful.
Roast me. Haha

I just climbed Topaz Mountain last week.

I'm going to hike to Silver Flat Lake this weekend. I have a ton more I want to do this year too.

Keep the youtubes comin' man. Sub'd

Yesterday, I completed the Willow Heights hike up Big Cottonwood. It was steeper than I thought but it was pretty short (about 2.2 miles) and almost completely in the shade. I think I did the round trip in a little bit over an hour and that was with me taking breaks (out of shape) and stopping to enjoy the scenery. The aspens were amazing and some of the wildflowers were coming out. It was beautiful.

I still want to do Lake Blanche and Lake Desolation. Have you gone on those hikes? What did you think? Any other hike suggestions?

Lake Blanche is incredible.

I've hiked Blanche many times. It's easily one of my favorite destination hikes. It's a solid challenge if you're not a regular hiker, but totally doable and absolutely worth it. Getting there is only half the reward, though, as there are two smaller sister lakes just beyond Blanche as well as the very picturesque Sundial Peak rising over Blanche itself. If you're moderately-paced it'll take you around 2 hours one way; give yourself plenty of time to explore around.

Desolation is not as challenging, and the lake isn't as cool, but it's still well worth spending half a day at a deliberate pace just enjoying the scenery.

I heard they got rid of the log ladder for Kannarraville Falls. Is that true? I've never done that one.

I've always wanted to do the Subway as well. When did you do that? I'm always anxious about Zion because the crowds can be overwhelming and the summer heat. However, I'm guessing the Subway is probably a lot cooler in the summer so it might be nice. I've only been to Zion once.

Last I was there the log was there but that was a while ago.

Zion will be packed during the summer. The subway hike cuts down on the heat with the water. But there will likely be lots of people. It’s also a pretty easy hike.

Calf Creek was about two hours, not to bad population wise and ends in a pond with a waterfall if you wish to cool off. It’s outside of Escalante, Utah. Did that about 3 years ago. Was quite enjoyable.

Only thing I’ve hiked in the last 18 months is the Y.

Isn't that right before Desolation lake as you're going up the main road on Big Cottonwood? I think it is. I think it goes Dog Lake, then the Mill D (Desolation Lake), then Willow Heights (did that), and right after that you're up at the Silver Lake parking lot.

I started from immigration canyon. Its hella steep. Not very far though

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

@Archie Moses, I very much enjoyed your video! Liked the biker video you posted recently as well. Years ago, I hiked all the national parks in Utah, and they weren't even crowded! So you bet it was years ago, lol. I still hope to show my wife around Utah one day.

One guy I discovered recently, who I feel makes great short YouTube videos of hikes he and his wife take throughout the Southwest, is Dana Hollister. He does a great job showing viewers the Cedar Mesa area in SE Utah, the Bears Ears region. Man, do I envy him. Cedar Mesa has the largest concentration of Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings in the entire SW.

Here's his Cedar Mesa videos:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3pynWoHELGe5Z0_kQjrUmITvCfwV8zF_

And all his videos to date:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfKzTG-ViS0pRbjG0o0rMNw/videos

I think Mr. Hollister is a good steward of the land, and our cultural heritage:

Last edited:
@Archie Moses, I very much enjoyed your video! Liked the biker video you posted recently as well. Years ago, I hiked all the national parks in Utah, and they weren't even crowded! So you bet it was years ago, lol. I still hope to show my wife around Utah one day.

One guy I discovered recently, who I feel makes great short YouTube videos of hikes he and his wife take throughout the Southwest, is Dana Hollister. He does a great job showing viewers the Cedar Mesa area in SE Utah, the Bears Ears region. Man, do I envy him. Cedar Mesa has the largest concentration of Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings in the entire SW.

Here's his Cedar Mesa videos:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3pynWoHELGe5Z0_kQjrUmITvCfwV8zF_

And all his videos to date:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfKzTG-ViS0pRbjG0o0rMNw/videos

I think Mr. Hollister is a good steward of the land, and our cultural heritage:

Thanks, Red. I've been enjoying getting out and exploring Utah. Making the videos has just been a fun little bonus. Every year I tell myself I'm going to go adventuring and never did. This is the first year I finally feel like I'm doing everything I want to and it's been awesome.

I liked the channel you recommended. I'll sub for sure.

I took my dogs to Silver Lake Flat today. It was awesome but my big dog hurt his paws so I feel terrible. Poor guy, but I think he'll be ok. He's gonna get babied.

(I'm terrible at making titles for my videos. Haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: Red
Thanks, Red. I've been enjoying getting out and exploring Utah. Making the videos has just been a fun little bonus. Every year I tell myself I'm going to go adventuring and never did. This is the first year I finally feel like I'm doing everything I want to and it's been awesome.

I liked the channel you recommended. I'll sub for sure.

I took my dogs to Silver Flat Lake today. It was awesome but my big dog hurt his paws so I feel terrible. Poor guy, but I think he'll be ok. He's gonna get babied.

(I'm terrible at making titles for my videos. Haha)
What happened to his paw