What's new

Utah hire a new assistant coach

From reddit user lavta:

Euroball guy, here.

He's one of those underrated and overrated coaches. Everyone either loves him or doesn't want him on their team and find him very overrated. He had success and failure. Last few years weren't so good for him. But he's not a bad coach by any means. I never saw anybody who thinks he's a bad coach, doubters think he's just overrated.

His strong suit is his tactical ability but he's not consistently elite at that with super game planning to have an outstanding edge there and be a Euroleague level head coach always.

His floppy sets are gorgeous, and he's an absolute master at late game SLOB plays, insanely good. Literally have many game winners from just SLOBs with outstanding sets.

He actually looks quite a bit like @Archie Moses

In fact, I think maybe next season Archie should do what this guy did pretending to be Klay:

He doesn’t look anything like Archie. He looks like that one doucher from Backstreet Boys. Or maybe it was one of those other corny boy bands.

I’d guess around 150-300k.

According to Job Monkey, at least 300k usually:

http://www.jobmonkey.com/sports-coaching/pro-basketball/

As far as assistant salaries go, NBA assistants usually bring in anywhere from $300,000 to $1 million depending on their experience and success, whereas assistants in other leagues can range from as low as $35,000 to $200,000 with a lot of variables playing into the salary.

My guess is, given the reputed quality of our staff, that'll be north of the low end of that spectrum. Guys like Bryant and Jensen are probably making a nice chunk of change. I have the impression that the Millers aren't frugal with their "administrative and support" budgets right now.

According to Job Monkey, at least 300k usually:

http://www.jobmonkey.com/sports-coaching/pro-basketball/

My guess is, given the reputed quality of our staff, that'll be north of the low end of that spectrum. Guys like Bryant and Jensen are probably making a nice chunk of change. I have the impression that the Millers aren't frugal with their "administrative and support" budgets right now.

This is very surprising to me. Last year I looked up Wade Phillips’ (best dC in NFL imo) and it was 500K iirc. Maybe it’s because there are a zillion coaches and staff in the NFL. I don’t know. But I’d hire Wade at like 1.5M a year he’s that good and I was shocked.

Yes. I do find it interesting that Jenson moves to the top having not been an original Quin selection.

Interesting definitely, but some guys are just that good. When Urban Meyer first came to the U. of Utah, he very quickly made it known Kyle Whittingham was "his guy" despite being original a Ron McBride hire. When he left two seasons later, he recommended (read: pimped) Whittingham to be the new HC. The rest is history. Even if Corbin was a first degree moron, that's not an indictment on his staff. Just on Ty.

As I've read, Quin operates a more "democratic" style with his staff. But someone has to be "the man" when he cracks out. So regardless, that's cool for Jensen.

This is very surprising to me. Last year I looked up Wade Phillips’ (best dC in NFL imo) and it was 500K iirc. Maybe it’s because there are a zillion coaches and staff in the NFL. I don’t know. But I’d hire Wade at like 1.5M a year he’s that good and I was shocked.

Perhaps, but I think it depends on the organization as well. 500k was probably the initial contract, but some coordinators made or make above a cool million. Sports is like any other business where you must pay to keep your best talents. Guys like Bryant and Jensen deserve a ton of credit for our develop programs. Look at what they've done:

• Turned Rudy from a raw D-League scrub into the presumptive DPOY.
• Turned Mitchell into the team's legitimate first option.
• Turned a waived math teacher into one of the game's most effective snipers.
• Turned Bricky Ricky into Slick Rick
• Turned Hayward into an all-star.
• Turned Royce from an undrafted rookie into a very underrated (and coveted) 3D wing.
• Gave George Hill his best statistical year in his career.

I'm not sure any other team has this good of a track record. A lot of credit goes to the players and system we have, but did guys like Bryant and Jensen have a lot to with that? Damn straight they did.

I'm certain their "contract extensions" definitely included a healthy raise, lest other teams like Chicago or Phoenix poach 'em.

Hmmm yeah just looked and saw Marvin Lewis was the first 1M DC back in 2002. Monte Kiffin made way more than that. Thanks, SoW.

And yeah, I def agree a ton of money should be poured into a coaching staff as well as scouting department.

Paying more for coaches, scouting, and front office personnel seems like the smartest money an organization can spend looking at those salaries.