What's new

Utah Jazz 2018-19 Championship Bus CHOO CHOO

But a healthy Exum is gonna be Utah's big free agent acquisition this summer.
Get ready for the Lindsey speech after he fails to sign any significant FA's. Re-signed Rubio, chemistry, blah, blah, brought back Favors and Neto, connectivity, Niang, O'Neal, Crowder, internal development, Exum and Allen, working with Johnny Bryant, blah, blah. Signed Naz Mitrou-Long to replace Thabo, shows how effective development program is, model for the rest of the league, blah, blah, blah.

Fans cheer, management gives him a raise. Ticket prices go up.

7 seed vs Nuggets is not even a bad scenario. One of the few teams less experienced than us, and not built for the playoffs (IMO). Then you avoid GS until the WCF too.

We'll probably pass the Spurs and Clips though.
I think the Nuggets are built for the playoffs but the Jazz are probably the worst matchup out of the bottom 4 seeds for them.

Get ready for the Lindsey speech after he fails to sign any significant FA's. Re-signed Rubio, chemistry, blah, blah, brought back Favors and Neto, connectivity, Niang, O'Neal, Crowder, internal development, Exum and Allen, working with Johnny Bryant, blah, blah. Signed Naz Mitrou-Long to replace Thabo, shows how effective development program is, model for the rest of the league, blah, blah, blah.

If we re-sign Rubio, I’m gonna be pissed. I’d rather stroll Exum out there in a wheelchair as the starter and go 4 pg deep.

Doom and gloom

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Doom and gloom

Based on Lindsey's track record. He's clearly shown that profits trump winning. How much can he fetch by selling off another pick? Jazz could have stashed a few young Euros and maybe had some decent players in development mode. Seriously, can we get excited by the addition of Niang, and Cavanaugh and Naz as our 2-ways? None of those guys will EVER be decent rotation players. And you might be able to add Bradley and Allen to that list.

Based on Lindsey's track record. He's clearly shown that profits trump winning. How much can he fetch by selling off another pick? Jazz could have stashed a few young Euros and maybe had some decent players in development mode. Seriously, can we get excited by the addition of Niang, and Cavanaugh and Naz as our 2-ways? None of those guys will EVER be decent rotation players. And you might be able to add Bradley and Allen to that list.

I know. I already said doom and gloom.

If possible, I prefer the Jazz to stay at the 7th seed than moving up to 5th or 6th. I honestly don't think the Jazz have the firepower to beat OKC or Houston. Denver, they're inexperienced and can be dealt with much easier. Then in the 2nd round, Jazz step up their game even more after beating Denver in game 5 or possibly 6.

A couple developments--

CJ McCollum went down with a leg injury vs. GSW today. He looks to be out a while. Jazz are 2 games behind Portland with the potential to win a tie-break due to Conf. record.

OKC still has the 5th toughest schedule remaining and is only 1 game ahead in the loss column. Westbrook is suspended for the Thunder's next game due to picking up his 16th technical foul.

Passing the Spurs, Thunder and Blazers would put us in the 4th seed.

A couple developments--

CJ McCollum went down with a leg injury vs. GSW today. He looks to be out a while. Jazz are 2 games behind Portland with the potential to win a tie-break due to Conf. record.

OKC still has the 5th toughest schedule remaining and is only 1 game ahead in the loss column. Westbrook is suspended for the Thunder's next game due to picking up his 16th technical foul.

Passing the Spurs, Thunder and Blazers would put us in the 4th seed.

We might not want that. That would mean the Dubs in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

This won't happen.

Lindsey has a two year window before, assuming trajectory holds, we have to Max Mitchell (this is just a given at this point). Utah's team, as it is, is good, but we have holes to fill before we are a contender.

I'm assuming Utah is keeping Favors because of what he brings and Utah doesn't necessarily need a stretch four when we have three other shooters on the floor. His pros far outweigh his cons to me.

Must haves:
PG who can shoot and/or playmaker who can create their own good shot.
Shooting in general

Would be nice:
Stretch 4/5 backup.

Utah can create the necessary capspace for some moves by renouncing the capholds of Rubio, Thabo, and Raul. But that would only net about 18m or so in capspace. It's still something that will net something in FA before we use the MLE. I only see Utah not guaranteeing Faves if they know someone will come.

As stated, Utah has definite needs, but Utah also has the fantastic luxury of Mitchell. That said, they need to make a decision on if he'll man the PG or not. If they move him to the 1, that only necessitates the needs for a combo or pure SG who can do what's necessary above. If not, we need a PG. I have a lot of respect for Rubio as a man and what he does, but even I can see he's laid enough bricks to build for Dorothy and crew to walk to Oz.

Utah actually has some assets in the forms of picks and young players for trade value kickers. Utah needs to be active on the phones during the draft to get something done I think as FA isn't traditionally good for Utah. That said, we'll see what happens.

Long story short though, standing pat isn't an option. But Utah can very much make a deal what works well for them given the circumstances (we've seen this time and again with Lindsey). Missing on Conley due to Exum was a mistake. But hindsight is 20/20 and almost all reactions I read thought that deal would have been an overpay.

CJ McCollum injured his knee last night. Prognosis is unknown so far with an MRI coming but if he is out for the season or hobbled the rest of the way that could give the Jazz an extra edge moving forward.

Utah can create the necessary capspace for some moves by renouncing the capholds of Rubio, Thabo, and Raul. But that would only net about 18m or so in capspace. It's still something that will net something in FA before we use the MLE. I only see Utah not guaranteeing Faves if they know someone will come.
I think the Jazz are at $92m if you add Udoh to your list, add the cap hold for a 1st round pick and a minimum roster spot to get to 13 players. I read an article that projects the 2019/20 cap to be $103m, which meand Utah would have $11m if they renounce all other holds (not $18m). By going under the cap, the Jazz then lose the MLE and only have the room exception. I believe they'd also lose the bi-annual exception once they go under the cap.

So really, the only way to get a very good player is to also jettison Favors and then have what remains of cap space plus an exception of ~4.5m.

That's why I said the team might keep the status quo. What does $11m buy you in free agency that the MLE does not? Is it better to shore up a position with the MLE and bring back Favors and also Rubio on a 1+1 deal? That would give Utah $30M+ in expirings at the next deadline, plus decent depth.

I'm not saying I love that strategy. I'm just saying that if the Jazz miss out on tier-1 and 2 FA's, the best approach might be to have extra ammo for the trade deadline, and/or have a ton of space for 2020.

Last edited:
We’re 0-6 in 3 point games yet 26-12 in 10 point games.

The latter is pretty impressive considering the 0-6 stat and the rest of the league.

I think the Jazz are at $92m if you add Udoh to your list, add the cap hold for a 1st round pick and a minimum roster spot to get to 13 players. I read an article that projects the 2019/20 cap to be $103m, which meand Utah would have $11m if they renounce all other holds (not $18m). By going under the cap, the Jazz then lose the MLE and only have the room exception. I believe they'd also lose the bi-annual exception once they go under the cap.

So really, the only way to get a very good player is to also jettison Favors and then have what remains of cap space plus an exception of ~4.5m.

That's why I said the team might keep the status quo. What does $11m buy you in free agency that the MLE does not? Is it better to shore up a position with the MLE and bring back Favors and also Rubio on a 1+1 deal? That would give Utah $30M+ in expirings at the next deadline, plus decent depth.

I'm not saying I love that strategy. I'm just saying that if the Jazz miss out on tier-1 and 2 FA's, the best approach might be to have extra ammo for the trade deadline, and/or have a ton of space for 2020.

The cap is 109M next year not 103M.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...ry-cap-2019-20-2020-21-seasons-020033583.html

How does the process with Favors work? Can we opt out of him and tell his agent we intend on re-signing him to an extension at like 4/50? If so, once we opt out, can we sign a FA at like 20M per, and then re-sign him by going over the cap?