What's new

Utah Jazz @ Dallas Mavericks Friday 1/27 6:30pm (MT)

I thought it was an encouraging game by Harris,Bell, and Hayward, in that they all hit some good looking jump shots. The Mavs get more calls, they are the champs, and they just hit a boat load of 3s to break the game open.

Where'd Cuban find this Beaubois guy?

If Favors is 15/10 with 2 blocks, that isn't bad. The question is whether he wants to be a dominant force in the league. He seems a bit low key.
I suppose so. It's up to him how good he wants to be. But even to get to 15/10 is going to be a long process. He has a ways to go. Might Be like a Bynum type situation.

Beaubois was a 25th pick, 3rd year, 6-2 , has had some injuries, but looks like a player for Dallas.
Every team should find at least one quick smaller player that can shoot.

Beaubois was a 25th pick, 3rd year, 6-2 , has had some injuries, but looks like a player for Dallas.
Every team should find at least one quick smaller player that can shoot.

I thought Devan Downey would be a guy lack that. He's a midget, but can get anywhere he wants on the court and is big time clutch shooter. Was very surprised he couldn't get a spot. Think he's still in Europe, but not sure how he's done.

Devan Downey - Keep in mind he did this 30 something points, iirc, against #1 ranked Kentucky with (Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Patterson, and Orton ... 4 lottery picks and another first rounder).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhbObiRpvk&feature=related

As bad as the defense looked, we just got beaten up by a team that runs PnR exceptionally (note to Ty). Most teams run PnR to play a 2 on 2 game. Dallas runs it to set up all kinds of offensive options. Fun to watch unless you're a Jazz fan.

Devin was playing quick and well in the first half. He struggled in the second. But that's on offense. He HAS to play more tenacious D. He did nothing all night to stop Beaubois, and Earl was equally defenseless. Still, Devin has to take defense more personally.

Ty has got to stop trying to run the same offense with the second unit. This is a major problem. When we went Evans/Favors as our first subs, then Favors/Kanter for the second half, the ball got stopped fast. With those guys, you CAN'T run the same O because there's no threat in the post. So take a cue from Dallas and run more PnR from the wings. But Ty is stubbornly trying to teach those guys to run the starter offense even while it kills us. The result is bad shots.

The second quarter was a case in point. With nothing in the post, the first 5 possessions were Howard taking bad shots. He was especially bad taking shots early in the clock, but we weren't running anything. In the early 4th it wasn't much better, but CJ took a couple of bad shots instead of Howard because trying to run the same post offense was futile. In the very few drops to Favors, we saw what we already know -- Favors can't score on the low block.

Just run a different O with the second unit with more Pick and roll. Not that complicated.

Hayward had a much better game than the box score would indicate (not taking away from his 6 assists.) He was active, he made some nice plays, his passing was sharp, he didn't turn it over. And late in the game, he took some aggressive shots that gave me hope. But he still keeps passing up shots and looks so timid on offense. He passed up several shots tonight that almost resulted in the death of my TV.

Telling stats tonight:

11/18 from three when it mattered for Dallas. They go a more normal 6/18 and it's a tie game late.

Haywood: seven offensive rebounds. Jefferson: four defensive rebounds. Doubt Haywood got 'em all on Jefferson, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. This is a huge indicator of how poor a defensive rebounder he is.

The run at the end of the 3rd was keyed by Sap and Al's departure also helped it. I've been skeptical that Sap could ever be the focal point of a post offense, but he proves me wrong every single night. We're still better with Al and Sap, but that's only because Favors and Kanter are so far away from being ready. It will be interesting to see how the rest of this season plays out.

Hayward had a much better game than the box score would indicate (not taking away from his 6 assists.) He was active, he made some nice plays, his passing was sharp, he didn't turn it over. And late in the game, he took some aggressive shots that gave me hope. But he still keeps passing up shots and looks so timid on offense. He passed up several shots tonight that almost resulted in the death of my TV.

I'd almost rather have that then seeing C.J. go away from the cross pick and roll (a good decision occasionally) and see the first dribble and KNOW he's stepping back for the fall-away. I practically never say anything while I watch games, and I audibly said no after the first dribble.

Hayward's defense on Marion tonight was excellent. Didn't look so good on his few tries against Carter. Hard to imagine he's a 2, and the idea of Hayward guarding either Terry or Beaubois is incomprehensible to me.

Hayward's defense on Marion tonight was excellent. Didn't look so good on his few tries against Carter. Hard to imagine he's a 2, and the idea of Hayward guarding either Terry or Beaubois is incomprehensible to me.

What really bothered me was the double teaming. Sure, start the game doing that since Marion was good last week doing that, but when the threes start falling, and Hayward did well one on one a couple of times, they still doubled most of the time.

What also irked me was Jefferson slapping at the ball in the post. It's Brendan Haywood. Solid position D with hands up and he can't do a damn thing.

I'd almost rather have that then seeing C.J. go away from the cross pick and roll (a good decision occasionally) and see the first dribble and KNOW he's stepping back for the fall-away. I practically never say anything while I watch games, and I audibly said no after the first dribble.

Actually, CJ was trying to take advantage of Terry guarding him. On the first fall away, it was an inbounds. Right after the inbounds he posted Terry but it was legitimately blocked. But there were two other shots after that where CJ showed his immaturity. He saw Terry on him and settled for the easy J's which missed. CJ should have been driving on Terr. But he took the shots fast just because he didn't want to lose the opportunity. 1 for 4 as I recall.