What's new

Utah Jazz Holiday Story...

utahquad

Well for those who live in the Salt Lake City area, you may have seen the story that came out on Christmas Day... I figured I would go ahead and repost it here so you can all read it if you like. The person in the article is indeed me. Brian T. Smith asked me if I would consent to that article just before Thanksgiving. I agreed, why not... It is very strange to hear your own story when told via the media. I would guess that many of you from here have seen me at games, I am hard to miss for sure. Feel free to come up and say "HI" if you see me. And enjoy the article, and if you feel like it comment here or there about it...

Brandon May
UtahQuad

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/50936870-87/jazz-sloan-team-tunnel.html.csp

He's not new to the forum.

That is correct, I have been around a long time, I just have not posted a lot since the forum reset that happened at the end of last season. I do login and read stuff all the time, and try to post when I have a chance, but between going to games, homework for school, dealing with every other daily task made harder by my disability, I dont have a lot of time available to do as much posting as I like, though will try to get more out there in the future!

Nice article, quad. I look up to people like you. It's amazing to me you have such a positive and up-beat attitude and you haven't lost a step in what you like in life, like the Jazz.

That is correct, I have been around a long time, I just have not posted a lot since the forum reset that happened at the end of last season. I do login and read stuff all the time, and try to post when I have a chance, but between going to games, homework for school, dealing with every other daily task made harder by my disability, I dont have a lot of time available to do as much posting as I like, though will try to get more out there in the future!

Don't let the fame get to your head. Bub

Nice article, quad. I look up to people like you. It's amazing to me you have such a positive and up-beat attitude and you haven't lost a step in what you like in life, like the Jazz.

Sometimes I can be unintentionally really stupid sometimes. I had it pointed out to me, via rep, that I told a guy in a wheelchair he hadn't lost a step in life. Quad, I hope you got what I was saying was a compliment and no pun was intended. I tend to put my foot in my mouth more than I would like. K, love you, bye.

Believe me Archie, it is very easy to do with our language. No offense taken, in fact I often tend to joke about my own situation to the point of shocking others sometimes. When someone tells me to be careful I always respond, "It's not like I am going to break my neck, again!" ROFL! While I didn't technically fracture my neck, I did suffer damage to both the neck and back, and those who see me in person understand the function better I guess, but to those who don't know me, that can come as a bit of a "did he just say that" shocker. To me humor is the best medicine, and without the ability to laugh like I do now, I would be in far worse shape that I am. The ability to choose to live, to get up each day, and to push thru life, and most importantly, to smile and laugh, is lost on many who go thru bad ordeals. Many let their suffering and grief consume them, I choose to look at each thing as a challenge. I push hard each day, living alone, cleaning, cooking, and taking care of myself, keeping myself in shape, and even working to teach myself to walk some in full leg braces for short distances. Even the meanest of accomplishments to some can be a huge deal to me, the challenge is to look at those things, and choose to take pleasure in the smallest things in life.

Anyways, no you did not offend me, that is one hard thing to do in terms of the disability. I try to be forgiving of mistakes, and as I say, no offense taken!

Thanks for your excellent story, it's great to see you are a forum member. Do you have a favorite jazz player you like? Do you have any stories you could share?

Oh heck Prodigy, well as far as players, I have a few who are my favorites (though I cant say that I don't like everyone on the team similarly), in terms of hoops skill and pure play, Deron Williams, as far as biggest heart, Mehmet Okur and Raja Bell, and Jeremy Evans has to be my favorite rookie (sorry Gordon but you are just too quiet and shy for your own good). Of course like most, John Stockton and Karl Malone are also favs. I first met them long ago, and the impression that was made on me sealed the deal for me as a lifetime fan! But really every one, from the staff, coaches, players, former players, and even the management have all been totally awesome to me.

As for stories, I probably have enough to write a book, perhaps my favorite in the last few years though (aside from moments in games) has to be courtesy of Big Fes. I managed to find a game worn jersey of his in the Fanzz store when they put some of the used stuff on the racks. I was the first one in there, and snagged it right off, it was the ONLY one in there. It is quite frankly a tent! Well I decided to have him sign it mid-season last year. Ross Siler was there when Fes signed it, and commented that he thought Fes was gonna flip that someone had one of his jerseys, and wanted it signed. He was right, Fes stopped to chat, and I asked him to sign it, he was shocked and wide eyed when he saw that it was one of his and smiled while asking where I got it. I told him and he was so excited that someone cared enough to have one of his jerseys, AND want it signed. Later on last season I asked him if that was the first one, and he told me at that time at least, that it was the first and ONLY one. When I asked him early this season he also said it was the only one he had done, so I have to assume that I own quite likely the only autographed game worn Kyrylo Fesenko Utah Jazz jersey on earth. The fact that it was the first is certainly VERY special to me. He always runs at me and high fives me, sometimes nearly knocking me out of my chair, or landing on me as he runs towards me, just a big kid with tons of energy. There have been hundred if not thousands of those little moments over the years, and each is as special to me as the next. The items that I have that are autographed, which given that I see most players every game, i could have TONS of stuff, but anyways, the few things I have that are signed were gotten for myself, and as such are totally priceless to me.

Each and every one represents a special moment, game or time. From Stockton and Malone autographs, a pair of Karl's game worn wrist bands, to shoes gifted to me by Kyle Korver and Mehmet Okur, and the jerseys I have gotten signed over the years, and even a game worn warmup jacket that the entire team signed 2 years ago. Each and every item represents a special moment, and while I do have some things signed, I dont beg for autographs, and the players know that every item they sign or give me (on the beyond rare occasion that there IS something to be signed) is for my personal collection. Many of them have seen pictures of my Master Bedroom where every wall is covered in signed gear. Items that represent memories... Things such as the ticket from the suite that we sat in last year when Sundiata hit the famous shot, which I had him sign the next game, to even a replica signed Hornacek jersey, authentic Memo that is signed, and even a game work AK that is signed... Aside from my dog and my wheelchair, they are my most prized possessions! Even above my medals and trophies from Quad Rugby (Murderball) and photos and artwork from my life since getting hurt. I guess that is part of being a fan... loving your team, almost to a fault! Anyways, I have rambled on enough for the moment, if anyone wants to hear more from my life of fandom, I would be glad to write more, just let me know...

Brandon

Sometimes I can be unintentionally really stupid sometimes. I had it pointed out to me, via rep, that I told a guy in a wheelchair he hadn't lost a step in life. Quad, I hope you got what I was saying was a compliment and no pun was intended. I tend to put my foot in my mouth more than I would like. K, love you, bye.

WOw. You're an even bigger ******* than I thought you were.

WOw. You're an even bigger ******* than I thought you were.

Guy, will you please stop already? Your attempt to constantly internet pick on me is rather rude. Pathetic really. With that being said, it's kinda cute being picked on by a munchkin. Makes me think of the line, "You're an angry elf." Now take your welfare check to the bank and cash it, loser.