What's new

Utah Joining the Big 12 Conference in 2024

SoberasHotRod

I know there are quite a few UofU and BYU fans on here. What does everyone think about being in the same conference again?

Living outside of Utah I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone about this. Was hoping a conversation would be going on here (I'm not interested in joining another fan board).

I know there are quite a few UofU and BYU fans on here. What does everyone think about being in the same conference again?

Living outside of Utah I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone about this. Was hoping a conversation would be going on here (I'm not interested in joining another fan board).
I'm mixed. I hate the rivalry (too much animosity and hate) but I'm of course super happy to be in a P5 (p4?) Conference and Utah is a good football program that helps the conference be stronger and more stable. I'm incredibly happy about BYU being in the big 12 and I'm mostly happy about Utah joining the conference.

I would say each fan base is coming from different perspectives and places.

I would expect Y fans to feel very similar as Ute fans when they got the PAC12 invite.

As a Ute fan, at first I wanted the PAC12 to stay together but once Oregon and WAS left for the B1G, I was then relieved that the U had made prepared and made contingency plans to act quickly and go to the XVII. Now I'm still process the move and all the possible different implications it has for the U but it is slowly becoming more real and exciting.

For example, the PAC had more "prestigious" (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon & WAS) schools but those Cali schools didn't always have the fan support, whereas in the XVII almost all the schools have a ton of fan support, which will be exciting, so there's trade offs like that.

Keeping the rivalry and trash talk aside for this post, I can understand why the Y fans were taking joy in the PAC12 mismanagement, and then not being happy that the U got the invite and accepted so quickly at full revenue. BUT I would hope it didn't take away from the joy of now being in a P4 conference (yes that last part was hard for me to type with out a little joking trash talk).

I would say each fan base is coming from different perspectives and places.

I would expect Y fans to feel very similar as Ute fans when they got the PAC12 invite.

As a Ute fan, at first I wanted the PAC12 to stay together but once Oregon and WAS left for the B1G, I was then relieved that the U had made prepared and made contingency plans to act quickly and go to the XVII. Now I'm still process the move and all the possible different implications it has for the U but it is slowly becoming more real and exciting.

For example, the PAC had more "prestigious" (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon & WAS) schools but those Cali schools didn't always have the fan support, whereas in the XVII almost all the schools have a ton of fan support, which will be exciting, so there's trade offs like that.

Keeping the rivalry and trash talk aside for this post, I can understand why the Y fans were taking joy in the PAC12 mismanagement, and then not being happy that the U got the invite and accepted so quickly at full revenue. BUT I would hope it didn't take away from the joy of now being in a P4 conference (yes that last part was hard for me to type with out a little joking trash talk).
Good post.

I grew up being a huge U of U fan. Both my Mom and Dad went to the U and we had season tickets to football, men's basketball, and gymnastics growing up. I ended up going to Utah State for college, and so now I cheer for both teams.

I've now lived outside of Utah for the majority of my life. I find myself cheering for any team from Utah, even BYU when they play an important game. My 12 year old self would be extremely disappointed in myself if they ever read that last sentence. It definitely helps to not have BYU fans around to help me drop some of the animosity.

Living in California and then Colorado it was fun to be able to talk Utah football with fans of teams in the same conference, even though they mostly didn't care about Utah. I was able to go to a couple of their games in other stadiums which was fun as well.

Living in Indiana now most people care a lot more about college basketball than college football, and those who do follow college football only care about the Big 10. It would have been nice to have the Utes invited to the Big 10. I do think they would have fit in really well from an Athletic stand point. I now understand why it wasn't going to happen so I'm happy they are in the Big 12.

My initial thoughts on the Big 12 as it stands today is a little underwhelmed. There are still some good teams, but I think the SEC and Big 10 are a couple of tiers better and I can see them being considered a class of their own in the future.

This season will be interesting. I'm really not sure how being part of a collapsing conference will play out. I'm sure there will be a lot of transferring at the end of the season.

I don’t mind as long as the old rivalry doesn’t come back and turn poisonous like it was before the split. Fans, players, and coaches on both sides would say some messed up stuff and have actual real hate spew from them. My dislike of Whitt comes from his attitude, things he’s said, and almost evolved to his face. He may be the only person I can think of where I almost reached the realm of thinking he has a punchable face. It was close. I don’t need that. I need world peace in my life to live long and prosper.

I don’t mind as long as the old rivalry doesn’t come back and turn poisonous like it was before the split. Fans, players, and coaches on both sides would say some messed up stuff and have actual real hate spew from them. My dislike of Whitt comes from his attitude, things he’s said, and almost evolved to his face. He may be the only person I can think of where I almost reached the realm of thinking he has a punchable face. It was close. I don’t need that. I need world peace in my life to live long and prosper.

You mean between the fans? Never saw it as poison between the teams.

When I saw what was happening to the PAC12, I knew Utah would get in the Big12. It was inevitable, even though it’s not a new TV market for the conference.
I’m pissed about the vote, though. That’s was BYU’s chance to stick up for themselves and at least vote no at first, and then work a deal to get full financial compensation in exchange for voting yes. It really pisses me off that Utah gets to jump right in as a full $ member and we still have to work our way up to that.