What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

Well, I did leave out the possibility of Favors returning. I actually do think what Snyder is FINALLY doing in taking out Derrick or Rudy at ~ the 6 min mark to minimize the time they play together has worked the past several games. Also, I'm liking O'Neale. No, he doesn't give Utah the 3PT shooting that Hood does, but he's been pretty impressive with his ballhandling, passing an toughness.

It's working because Rubio is finally making layups and 3's, and INgles and Donovan are on fire. I wonder if it's sustainable, but I think at least the defense should be.

Outside of the Cavs, find a deal that makes sense for Utah. It just doesn't exist...at least to a contender. It's not easy to trade $12M...without taking back a bad contract. And the best chance Utah had to use his expiring (Mirotic), came and went because Dennis refused to include an asset.
1. DL will not trade our 1st round pick.
2. DL will not take on a bad contract (defined as non-expiring for a player who would minimally contribute).

I think the only players who might change teams are Hood and Johnson. With Hood, maybe a late first from a contender. Jazz will buy out Johnson so he can sign with a contender.

I think Rubio is off the table (if he ever seriously was). Jazz would like to trade Burks to get out of his contract, but I don't think there's a market without a team asking for a 1st for what is a salary dump. Unfortunately, I think Chicago would have agreed to a Burks + Jazz' first (top-5 protected) for Mirotic deal a couple of weeks ago.

And it's looking probable the Jazz are going to pick in the 12-16 range. Mirotic >>> than a pick in that range.

I think you are right, but some teams that might think about Favors are: Bucks, Wizards, Cavs, Pelicans. I'm probably missing a couple others. I don't think any of those will want him badly enough to make a deal but you never know. I think it's likely that only Hood and JJ are gone as well.

I think you are right, but some teams that might think about Favors are: Bucks, Wizards, Cavs, Pelicans. I'm probably missing a couple others. I don't think any of those will want him badly enough to make a deal but you never know. I think it's likely that only Hood and JJ are gone as well.
I'm not saying a lot of teams don't have interest. But playoff teams just don't have appropriate salaries to match. I checked on every likely playoff team with the ESPN Trade Machine. Even Cleveland only has Frye at $7M and no other expiring to trade. So it's likely any deal would need to include a 3rd team.

The way this team has been playing lately - and the denial by Favors of saying he wouldn't re-sign with Utah - maybe there's a chance he stays. But it's doubtful. A lot of teams need decent bigs. I could see him getting a $20M/per contract from Atlanta, for example.

I tend to agree. I’m glad that it’s starting to click. I like Favors and I’m enjoying this defense with Gobert back and Rubio playing at a high level.

Still hoping for an Aaaron Gordon deal, but not counting on anything. Happy to keep Favors.
I dont know if it's really starting to click (in terms of the Favors thing), but the Jazz are returning to their elite defensive play they had to start the year. The problem then was Rubio was completely new to the team and was a mess in the system with tons of turnovers and we had no dominant scoring threat like we do now w/ Mitchell.

Our offense will probably regress again at some point. Mitchell cant be great every night, Ingles isnt going to shoot lights out every game, and Rubio will probably scatter some poor efficiency scoring nights in, but as long as the D stays elite and they play smart they should be fine. The schedule is soft and they can go back to feasting on mediocre teams who cant score on them and our now in the malaise of the 2nd half of the season.

Hell, maybe Exum will even be good in his return.

Anyone heard anything about whats going to happen with Joe Johnson? or Hood for that matter?

Portland fan on RealGM proposed Vonleh and 1st(protected) for Hood with an option for Vonleh, Harkless and 1st for Hood and JJ. Would you do that one?

A Boston fan proposed Larkin/Nader/BOS 1st for Hood. Would you do that?

What if it was the LAC 1st(which is lottery protected)?

It's very possible the LAC pick turns into 2 seconds but if it doesn't it will be much higher than Boston's pick...

Which one do you value higher - BOS or LAC pick?

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything about whats going to happen with Joe Johnson? or Hood for that matter?

According to Marc Stein Joe Johnson has asked to be traded. It's unknown whether that will he happen. He could be bought out as well. Rumor is a lot of teams are interested in Hood and the Jazz are listening to offers.

Portland fan on RealGM proposed Vonleh and 1st(protected) for Hood with an option for Vonleh, Harkless and 1st for Hood and JJ. Would you do that one?

Would depend on how high the pick was, I like Harkless but neither of those guys are anywhere as good as Hood.

There have been reports from various insiders that the price for Tyreke Evans is a first round pick. I just read an article where Ramona Shelburne reported that the Lakers have been offered a first round pick (she hinted from more than one team) for Jordan Clarkson. So Rodney Hood should be able to fetch a first too if the Jazz want it.

There have been reports from various insiders that the price for Tyreke Evans is a first round pick. I just read an article where Ramona Shelburne reported that the Lakers have been offered a first round pick (she hinted from more than one team) for Jordan Clarkson. So Rodney Hood should be able to fetch a first too if the Jazz want it.
I cant imagine anyone offering a 1st without a tonne of bad salary for Clarkson.

I like winning and we might not need to shake anything up too massively. We also want to keep an eye on the future. Our "trade bait" is down to these 3:

JoeJ wants out for a contender. Either trade him to Philly or buy him out.

Burks - the best business we could do this deadline is dump his 2018/19 salary. So trade him and multiple 2nd rounders to Atlanta for expirings???
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8tv3muc

Hood - I really wish Detroit had their 1st because Stanley and their 1st for Hood and a 2nd would have been great. At this point, get me a 1st from somewhere and lets move on.

Shed Burks, lose 2nds and add a 1st.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Not that I disagree, but why do you say that?

I’ve wanted to keep him and have hoped that the Jazz could figure out how to get Gobert/Favors to work. I’m still hopeful that he’s not just an expiring.

I doubt we keep him after this year but I agree the odds of him being traded are low. The teams that would make sense are teams in the hunt for a title that want to rent him for part of a season. The other places that would want him want us to take stuff in return that we dont want.

In terms of the odds that they'll be traded my guess is

Favors- 55-60%. The Jazz are actively shopping him but a good chance remains that they just can't find a deal they like.
Hood- 90-95%. I think he's gone.
Joe- Probably around 10%. Unless he's moved along with Favors and/or Hood in a trade he probably won't get traded. Any team who wants him will probably avoid offering assets and hope he gets bought out.

I like winning and we might not need to shake anything up too massively. We also want to keep an eye on the future. Our "trade bait" is down to these 3:

JoeJ wants out for a contender. Either trade him to Philly or buy him out.

Burks - the best business we could do this deadline is dump his 2018/19 salary. So trade him and multiple 2nd rounders to Atlanta for expirings???
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8tv3muc

Hood - I really wish Detroit had their 1st because Stanley and their 1st for Hood and a 2nd would have been great. At this point, get me a 1st from somewhere and lets move on.

Shed Burks, lose 2nds and add a 1st.

There's not much incentive for us to give up assets in order to trade Burks. Unless the FO is angling to be players in the 2018 free agent class instead of 2019. And I don't think that they are.

Shedding Burks or most of Burks' contract opens up an enormous amount of opportunities this summer. Half of the league is projected in the luxury next season but many have 2019 money. We could absorb a contract in order to move up in the draft, get a good player at a bargain, use space as an asset. Dumping Burks' $11.5 would be wise business.

Atlanta is a team with $50+ million in space this summer. They also don't have a 2nd and has been on record saying they are looking to trade expirings for 2nd rounders. Burks is young enough to gamble on his $11.5 million expiring for next year.

Philly is another possibility. They have shown interest in Hood. If we could get an asset and dump Burks while bringing back expirings, that would also be good business.

In terms of the odds that they'll be traded my guess is

Favors- 55-60%. The Jazz are actively shopping him but a good chance remains that they just can't find a deal they like.
Hood- 90-95%. I think he's gone.
Joe- Probably around 10%. Unless he's moved along with Favors and/or Hood in a trade he probably won't get traded. Any team who wants him will probably avoid offering assets and hope he gets bought out.

I think I'd shave 1/4 to 1/3 off those odds, but otherwise I think this is a pretty strong assessment.