What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

They think they can pick up someone good in free agency this year or next and are happy with that option.
Easy in theory but where the rubber meets the road there are no names. They just aren’t there. I’m usually more conservative on trades and I really don’t fault being more conservative with moves, but I really feel we passed up on an essential move that time will not be kind to.

DL made his usual trade comments on the radio just a bit ago. They arent going to make a trade if one isnt there. The trade has to be the right fit blah blah blah and sometimes there just isnt a deal.

He did also say that they have not been close to making a deal yet.

He emphasized that players they go after dont need to be a certain age and there are more factors than that. He used Sef as an example of a player that they felt fit in, aged well, and had a lot to offer on the court but even more off the court with the players. He talked again about how one reason JJ came here is because of Gobert and how unique and special a player he is.

They really like this draft and their pick. He more or less said it would have to be a really good deal to trade this pick.

He reiterated that they think they are a good FA destination because they do things different and better than other teams. They have better relationships with agents than other teams and some other stuff.

What I got out of it is that we could still make a trade but that trade is not known yet if there is one. They are happy to stand pat this year and dont feel rushed to make a trade. They think they can pick up someone good in free agency this year or next and are happy with that option.

They should just keep the recording of that interview and replay it each season and save D.L. the trouble of repeating himself year in and year out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should just keep the recording of that interview and replay it each season and save D.L. the trouble of repeating himself year in and year out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to the whole interview and found it both thoughtful and insightful. Loved listening to him frame some of the trade-offs. DL has proven that he is not afraid to pull the trigger and has earned the right to do what makes sense. Clearly the Jazz are active and will continue to be so. The best trades are often the ones that don't happen.

I listened to the whole interview and found it both thoughtful and insightful. Loved listening to him frame some of the trade-offs. DL has proven that he is not afraid to pull the trigger and has earned the right to do what makes sense. Clearly the Jazz are active and will continue to be so. The best trades are often the ones that don't happen.
Rubio.

DL is a master at meticulously explaining concepts without actually giving any new info.

He is good at words.

The fact that they haven't been close is a little discouraging.

I do think we can get FAs, but we only have the exceptions to offer as is this summer.

He is good at words.

The fact that they haven't been close is a little discouraging.

I do think we can get FAs, but we only have the exceptions to offer as is this summer.
Have the exceptions but no notable FAs.

Anything DL says on the air is going to go into trade rumors nationally. He has to keep his cards close. Also, if he says, "We're close to doing a couple deals," he lessens his leverage with the other teams who are listening in.

They've been shopping Favors since last year, so they know his market, and there are probably 10 teams that would like to have Hood. Other guys are small deals or throw-ins. They'd probably buy out Joe Johnson rather than send him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Didn't listen to it yet but does anybody really think DL would say anything remotely indicating that he is trading anybody? Trades fall through all the time, situations change all the time.
This. I think there’s an assumption out there that a good GM has his ear to the ground and knows all the moves out there and can predict things months/years out, when this is just poppycock. You may have some inkling of what teams may want but all it takes is one injury, one unexpected free agent signing, or an unanticipated trade, and the entire landscape of the league has changed. Not to mention being fundamentally wrong on assumptions of what people will or will not do. That’s why I’ve favored get what you can get when you can get it.

I'd prefer us giving something along the lines of Favors and Hood for Canning Frye, Cedi Osman, and Cleveland's first round pick. With a little extra salary dump on Cleveland's side it works. We get a young project, a stretch 4, and an extra first round pick.

Eh, if we're giving both Favors and Hood and taking back salary, I'd want the right to swap for the Brooklyn pick. A pick at 25 is nice, but the top 8 in this next draft all have All Star potential.

Jabari just checked in for the first time in a year if anyone's curious. Got rejected by the rim on a dunk

Anything DL says on the air is going to go into trade rumors nationally. He has to keep his cards close.
This. Considering the Jazz are entertaining offers for at least one player allegedly being bid on pretty actively (Hood), it's a great move to say they haven't been close on anything yet, even if they are nearing a decision to pick up an offer. If anything, it only puts pressure on bidders to bring up their offerings.