What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

I listened to the whole interview and found it both thoughtful and insightful. Loved listening to him frame some of the trade-offs. DL has proven that he is not afraid to pull the trigger and has earned the right to do what makes sense. Clearly the Jazz are active and will continue to be so. The best trades are often the ones that don't happen.
Deadline deals by Lindsey: Mack. Anyone else?
"The best trades are often the ones that don't happen": great excuse by those who are paralyzed by the fear of a move not working out or by getting back to little, slightly overpaying, etc.

They should just keep the recording of that interview and replay it each season and save D.L. the trouble of repeating himself year in and year out lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only part that was left out was, "we like our players and want to see what they can do when healthy." Lindsey's favorite label instructions are: "Lather, rinse, repeat." As Jazz fans, we better hope Exum comes back with a vengeance, Hood re-signs on the cheap and whoever Lindsey HAS to draft as the PF, because he clearly will need to pick for need as he did with Burke, turns out to be a Mitchell-type find.

Yeah, yeah, and the night is dark and full of terrors...

do you have kings blood ?
"The best trades are often the ones that don't happen": great excuse by those who are paralyzed by the fear of a move not working out or by getting back to little, slightly overpaying, etc.

Only part that was left out was, "we like our players and want to see what they can do when healthy." Lindsey's favorite label instructions are: "Lather, rinse, repeat." As Jazz fans, we better hope Exum comes back with a vengeance, Hood re-signs on the cheap and whoever Lindsey HAS to draft as the PF, because he clearly will need to pick for need as he did with Burke, turns out to be a Mitchell-type find.

ie all 3 things pretty unlikely ...

ie all 3 things pretty unlikely ...
Well, I did leave out the possibility of Favors returning. I actually do think what Snyder is FINALLY doing in taking out Derrick or Rudy at ~ the 6 min mark to minimize the time they play together has worked the past several games. Also, I'm liking O'Neale. No, he doesn't give Utah the 3PT shooting that Hood does, but he's been pretty impressive with his ballhandling, passing an toughness.

I dont think we bring in anyone unless they are the calibre of player that will attract a star FA in 2018/19.

Uh, we traded for Kendrick Perkins at the deadline under Lindsey. How dare you insult him
You forgot Pleiss and No-Neck in that Kanter trade. Great evaluation of talent. But, of course, the real key was getting a late first so Lindsey could trade it in his annual search for a PG (five 1st round picks for PG's during his five years as Utah's GM).

Last edited:
Also forgot Pleiss and No-Neck for Kanter.
That was when DL came on during a broadcast and mentioned “the haul” we got for Kanter.

I guess, though, part of that “haul” was Rubio.

Eh, if we're giving both Favors and Hood and taking back salary, I'd want the right to swap for the Brooklyn pick. A pick at 25 is nice, but the top 8 in this next draft all have All Star potential.
Yeah, but they won't give up that cleveland pick. With two first round picks we could move pretty far up.

Can we stop with the doom and gloom talk about how we aren't going to make any trades until after the deadline when we know one way or the other? The cynicism is a downer.

Can we stop with the doom and gloom talk about how we aren't going to make any trades until after the deadline when we know one way or the other? The cynicism is a downer.
If there were any trade that gave us an obvious lift, gave us a strong core piece, and was the easiest move to make, we just passed on it like those guys grow on trees. It makes it hard to believe we’ve got something else nice cooking.

JoeJ, Burks and Hood
for
Booker, Bayless, Korkmaz, Philly's 2018 1st and one of the 4 2nd rounders Philly has this year.

None of the guys Philly gives up are helping them this year. All 3 of the guys we give them are upgrades. Philly hasn't been in the playoffs for a long time. This trade assures them the playoffs and makes their pick late teens.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

You are right. My bad. DL has proved to be a sit on his hands guy.

Not that I disagree, but why do you say that?

I’ve wanted to keep him and have hoped that the Jazz could figure out how to get Gobert/Favors to work. I’m still hopeful that he’s not just an expiring.
Because he is helping the Jazz win and all you're going to get back for him is a 2nd round pick. Unless the Jazz are getting Jabari or Gordon, Favors is staying for the rest of the year.

I'm 90% confident Favors does not get traded.

Not that I disagree, but why do you say that?

I’ve wanted to keep him and have hoped that the Jazz could figure out how to get Gobert/Favors to work. I’m still hopeful that he’s not just an expiring.
Outside of the Cavs, find a deal that makes sense for Utah. It just doesn't exist...at least to a contender. It's not easy to trade $12M without taking back a bad contract. And the best chance Utah had to use his expiring (Mirotic), came and went because Dennis refused to include an asset.
1. DL will not trade our 1st round pick.
2. DL will not take on a bad contract (defined as non-expiring for a player who would minimally contribute).

I think the only players who might change teams are Hood and Johnson. With Hood, maybe a late first from a contender. Jazz will buy out Johnson so he can sign with a contender.

I think Rubio is off the table (if he ever seriously was). Jazz would like to trade Burks to get out of his contract, but I don't think there's a market without a team asking for a 1st for what is a salary dump. Unfortunately, I think Chicago would have agreed to a Burks + Jazz' first (top-5 protected) for Mirotic deal a couple of weeks ago.

And it's looking probable the Jazz are going to pick in the 12-16 range. Mirotic >>> than a pick in that range.

Last edited:
Because he is helping the Jazz win and all you're going to get back for him is a 2nd round pick. Unless the Jazz are getting Jabari or Gordon, Favors is staying for the rest of the year.
I tend to agree. I’m glad that it’s starting to click. I like Favors and I’m enjoying this defense with Gobert back and Rubio playing at a high level.

Still hoping for an Aaaron Gordon deal, but not counting on anything. Happy to keep Favors.