What's new

Vernon Carey Jr Waived

I don't know if this had anything to do with the release at all, but as I watched his G-League highlights from last year, it seems he was somewhat slimmer then than in SL recently. Perhaps the Jazz were not happy about his level of conditioning?

Even out of the draft, one of the recurring themes on him was that he was going to have to continually deal with his weight, as his body type was prone to being a little heavier than would serve him well for the NBA.

Dude shouldnt be trying to shoot 3's in SL. He's never going to make it in the NBA as a shooter. If he makes it in the NBA it's because he's incredible around the rim and rebounds.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the release at all, but as I watched his G-League highlights from last year, it seems he was somewhat slimmer then than in SL recently. Perhaps the Jazz were not happy about his level of conditioning?

Even out of the draft, one of the recurring themes on him was that he was going to have to continually deal with his weight, as his body type was prone to being a little heavier than would serve him well for the NBA.
Never mind: hadn't seen the Paul Reed speculation.

I'd release Carey too, if it facilitated going after Reed. (Does anyone know if a team needs to have an open spot [less than 15 signed] to go after an RFA?)

I had hopes he could be a back up 5, since his dad played OL on my team (the Phins).

The timing to me suggests maybe the Jazz really didn't like him or he is getting a contract over seas for more then what the Jazz were paying.

Never mind: hadn't seen the Paul Reed speculation.

I'd release Carey too, if it facilitated going after Reed. (Does anyone know if a team needs to have an open spot [less than 15 signed] to go after an RFA?)
The Jazz had no roster reason to waive Carey Jr in regards to signing other players. Maybe he had a guarantee date upcoming? Maybe they just didnt like him? Either one of those.

Without knowing if there is something bigger at play, Paul Reed makes absolutely no sense.

Paul Reed makes sense if we are trading Kelly Olynyk in a big roster move where we need a backup center, but are we really going to tenure a bigger offer sheet (relative to what it takes to get Philly not to match) for a 3rd center on a team that is loaded with 4's who can play the 5 in small ball?

A quick Google search and at first I thought it said PHI signed Reed but guess it is just that they are still interested in trying to:

Noah Levick @NoahLevick
Montrezl Harrell is indeed returning to the Sixers on a one-year deal — confirming @wojespn.
Signing doesn’t change the team’s desire to bring back Paul Reed, per team source. – 11:21 PM

John Hollinger @johnhollinger
Word of the Bamba signing has reached the citizens Paul Reed Island. We have activated our coconut catapult defense system and activated all the smoke signal stations while we await further word from our canoe recon teams on the outer reef. – 9:05 PM

The link with the above info

I thought in the 2nd game he looked dreadful and his stats were actually pretty good. There has to be another story behind this.

Could be. Also might be the Jazz were freeing up a roster spot for future transactions.
You're allowed like 20 roster spots in the pre-season. I just can't imagine this is done for roster reasons, but I'm not an expert in that regard so maybe I'm wrong.

I think he was just a highly ranked HS guy Danny wanted in to see up close and he was unimpressed with what he saw.

You're allowed like 20 roster spots in the pre-season. I just can't imagine this is done for roster reasons, but I'm not an expert in that regard so maybe I'm wrong.

I think he was just a highly ranked HS guy Danny wanted in to see up close and he was unimpressed with what he saw.
Might be. Really tough to know. Was Carey on a two way or normal deal?