What's new

Vet minimum Options

Batum
Torrey Craig
Shaq Harris
Dario Saric?
Kent Bazemore
Bryn Forbes

Not all are wings but if we could pick someone from this list up I think it would make us deeper.

My vote is Batum and Shaq Harris both for the vet minimum if we can pull it off.

Batum can shoot it and still defend and is long. He looks like a longer Joe Johnson. He was the main option for Charlotte for so long. I think he can still be offball, but probably can't go full starter minutes anymore.

I think the icing is on the kak. Invite all those currently under contract to camp and call it good. I think Tucker is owed a chance to sink or swim.

The Jazz could actually run a really good 8-man rotation which is the way to optimize the contribution and chemistry of a team's most efficient players.

However, that should be for the playoffs. We need to keep guys fresh for a long season and it's an opportunity to develop depth which we'll inevitably need to dip into. So we need one more player, at least. Niang should not be that 9th guy, or probably even the 10th, IMO. I don't see why Oni would suddenly be ready after the shortest, weirdest offseason ever, so he shouldn't be either.

On the other hand, that slot is the only chance to try to develop anybody at all. Still intrigued by Brantley/Morgan.

Last edited:
I think Niang is fine being one of those 9-10 guys. His shooting will be valuable in the second unit and he won’t be needed in the playoffs unless we have injuries.

If Oni turns out to be a player, he provides a lot of what we need but we have to temper expectations on him. Tucker beat him out for minutes, and that guy was a high volume scorer who was afraid to shoot in the NBA.

I’d really like to get another defensive player to throw into the mix...but it will be hard without the promise of minutes.

The Jazz could actually run a really good 8-man rotation which is the way to optimize the contribution and chemistry of a team's most efficient players.

However, that should be for the playoffs. We need to keep guys fresh for a long season and it's an opportunity to develop depth which we'll inevitably need to dip into. So we need one more player, at least. Niang should not be that 9th guy, or probably even the 10th, IMO. I don't see why Oni would suddenly be ready after the shortest, weirdest offseason ever, so he shouldn't be either.

On the other hand, that slot is the only chance to try to develop anybody at all. Still intrigued by Brantley/Morgan.
Well said. I am hopeful that Niang is not in the top 12. I am intrigued by Oni and even Tucker in addition to Brantley/Morgan. Would love to develop a few of these guys.

I'm assuming a spot on the roster. The two ways as of now are the Florida State point guard and Brantley. It sounds like JWF is heading to parts unknown.
I think this is the working assumption among most observers. However we don't know yet if Brantley will move on elsewhere as an RFA, and probably won't for a while. So I think Hughes's status is still up in the air, too, though I'd guess that he gets a full roster spot.

I think this is the working assumption among most observers. However we don't know yet if Brantley will move on elsewhere as an RFA, and probably won't for a while. So I think Hughes's status is still up in the air, too, though I'd guess that he gets a full roster spot.
There are quite a few guys that have been cut in the last couple of days so the Jazz may have some options for the end of the bench guys.

Please go sign Shaq Harrison right now. His athleticism and knack for creating deflections and making hustle plays is much needed on this roster.

Torrey Craig would be nice but it's probably unlikely.
Trent Forrest might be that guy.

Is Andre Roberson a free agent? I know he didn't play last year, but that could be a good signing.