What's new

Video Game Thread

I'm sure this is old news, but Ratchet and Clank is awesome. Probably the best platform game that I've played. 8 years old, but I just never got around to playing it before this past week and it has been the only game that has sucked me in this whole year really. I think I'm going to have to play the whole series now.

The strategy pad is brokenly bad.

But at least the physics and movement seem improved in general.
Ya I hadn't bought a new madden since 06 or 07 and got 11 and I can't get the strategy set before the snap pisses me off, especially pisses me off for the run game and creating an unbalanced line. I haven't played online and don't know if I will for awhile I know the last I played people are just insane and put WR and HB at any position and just take the fun out of it for me at least.

I beat Mafia 2 last week. It was ok, but had cool cut scenes. I started GOW 3 on the PS3 a couple of days ago and it wasn't what I expected. I don't like it all. There are so many good games coming out I don't know where to begin. I'll be starting the Saboteur next.

I usually alternate football games each year, last year I got Madden, this year I got NCAA. I only need one football game a year and they make a whole lot more improvements in a game in two years, rather than just one. I heard Madden just wasn't improved enough to warrant 60 bucks again this year. I played Madden 10 all the time and loved it (for the most part). And I actually became pretty good at Live play, takes awhile to get used to some of the cheap tactics people use on there though.

The two games I'm most looking forward to are NBA 2K11 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I'm considering just getting caught up on a bunch of older games though like the Mass Effect games, Fallout, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I usually alternate football games each year, last year I got Madden, this year I got NCAA. I only need one football game a year and they make a whole lot more improvements in a game in two years, rather than just one. I heard Madden just wasn't improved enough to warrant 60 bucks again this year. I played Madden 10 all the time and loved it (for the most part). And I actually became pretty good at Live play, takes awhile to get used to some of the cheap tactics people use on there though.

The two games I'm most looking forward to are NBA 2K11 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I'm considering just getting caught up on a bunch of older games though like the Mass Effect games, Fallout, and Batman: Arkham Asylum.
You're right, Madden 11 isn't enough of an improvement over Madden 10. I bought it this year on blind faith with how the improved run blocking was looking. But if you have 10 I'd wait for 12.

And those last 3 games you mentioned are all fantastic. I would recommend playing Batman first simply because it's a short game. The other two are pretty big time investments depending on just how into them you get.

As far as NBA 2K11... 2K10 was a flop in my book. I'll be interested to see if they redeem themselves this year. The ridiculous focus on/worship of Jordan in the game isn't helping my disposition towards it, though.

After getting a PS3 about a month ago, I finally got Little Big Planet, and I must say, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

I started GOW 3 on the PS3 a couple of days ago and it wasn't what I expected. I don't like it all. .

What'd you expect? A bunch of 300-esque bodied men having an orgy while Ann Coulter jerks it in the corner? **** is as advertised, son.

I've played a good portion of Uncharted 1. It's alright.. I don't see why everyone always throws it among elite company.
I never played Uncharted 1 but have the 2nd and it is a really good game I thought, if you play it just to beat it then its a fairly quick game to beat but you can try to find everything and then it will take a bit longer but still not a way long game.

Also thanks for turning my eye towards Demon's Souls I think I'd seen it but never looked into it, I have Oblivion and Dragon Age and have played through them enough that I've prolly ran my course of them and this looks like a great new one that would take a bit of time to play through and get sick of.

One other game I always want to get but never do is the Assassins Creed series.

I never played Uncharted 1 but have the 2nd and it is a really good game I thought, if you play it just to beat it then its a fairly quick game to beat but you can try to find everything and then it will take a bit longer but still not a way long game.

I never take length into account when I judge a game, so that's not really a problem. The greatest campaign-only shooter game, Half Life 2, was only about 5 hours front to back at a reasonable pace. Still, one of the greatest games ever.

One other game I always want to get but never do is the Assassins Creed series.

Mehhh. The first one had the most boring combat, I'm honestly astounded that I played through the whole thing. The combat was essentially "stand around and press X at the correct time, maybe once every 5 seconds". If anything, I'd recommend that you play starting from the 2nd game, because it is a better game than the first. I still didn't get very far in the 2nd one, mostly because I already had my fill from the first.

Honestly, Assassin's Creed quickly turns into running and jumping around the city, causing trouble. The missions and special challenges never were very much fun, in my opinion. Especially in the 1st. A lot of their challenges (stealth challenges in particular) are impossible and pointless to even try.

The story is surprisingly good, though.

Also, if you want a good RPG, you can't go wrong at all with Mass Effect and ME2. Same makers as Dragon Age, except Dragon Age was their backburner, secondary game they were working on at the same time as Mass Effect. Should tell you something.

If you end up getting into the Assassins Creed series, I would just start with the 2nd one. The first one was a glorified tech demo, while the 2nd one actually has a great story driving it and more varied missions. There is also a lot of history lessons about Italy and it's architecture if you are into that kind of thing and want to read all of that stuff as it pops up throughout the game.

Thnx for the tips, due to time and money constraints (and I'm old) I don't usually get more then a few game a year and like others have said for sports games I don't get them every year. I try to have to have a mix of RPG, FPS, Sport and 3rd person action/adventure games (like GTA or Uncharted).

For me I can't or don't like getting too many FPS games and stick with the Call of Duty/MWF2 series for the online play. Problem for me is like when I would switch between RS6V2, Resistance Fall of Man or others it would always screw me up and when going back to playing online I would get slaughtered for a few rounds until I remapped my brain to the correct buttons.

I've played a good portion of Uncharted 1. It's alright.. I don't see why everyone always throws it among elite company.

I'm pretty sure people play Drake uncharted more for the cut scenes than they do for the game play. However, I still love both of the games. They're fun to play and follow the story line.

It's kind of sad but I'm actually getting excited about two worlds two even after an abysmal first game. The trailers for it look promising.