What's new

Walker Kessler Hype & Appreciation Thread

Tremendous Upside

Not just sneaky good.... actual good. His perimeter defense and shot contesting are one thing, but inside 6 feet we got 2 of the top 5 shot influencers (of 70 players with 5+ defended shots per game)

View attachment 13706
That is incredible.

Lauri has never been known as an effective rim protector or interior defender. Never once in his career. On the contrary, really. And now this.

You only hear about his gaudy offense numbers when people talk about him being the frontrunner in the MIP race. But this, IMO, is just as impressive.

Last edited:

HermanG

That is flat out incredible.

Lauri has never been known as an effective rim protector or interior defender. Never once in his career. On the contrary, really. And now this.

You only hear about his gaudy offense numbers when people talk about him being the frontrunner in the MIP race. But this, IMO, is just as impressive.
He has learned to play physical only this year really. He bulked up during his Chicago days but Hardy is the first coach who has forced him to use that strength on both ends of the court.

Saint Cy of JFC

I can definitely tell teams are respecting WK a lot more now.

That combined with the entire Jazz team just being way more disciplined with transition defense (all those benchings for lazy transition are finally paying off) have helped improve the Jazz D.

Will be interesting to see what happens when KO comes back. I think he should be a starter, but so should WK. Would be interesting to see the White Walkers trio start.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner

That combined with the entire Jazz team just being way more disciplined with transition defense (all those benchings for lazy transition are finally paying off) have helped improve the Jazz D.

Will be interesting to see what happens when KO comes back. I think he should be a starter, but so should WK. Would be interesting to see the White Walkers trio start.
I can get behind a KO/LM/WK starting front line. Not bad at all imo. 2 spacers, 2 elite rim protectors, 2 elite rebounders, and 1 elite flopper/irritant. What more could you ask for?

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Ya I would be fine with KO taking Beaselys spot in the starting lineup. After all this is the perfect season to experiment. 3 7 footers in the starting lineup is not like anything any other teams are doing but it might work for us. If it doesn't work then no big deal. Draft pick gets better.
Win win

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner

rocfan1

The article says they asked 3 scouts if they would rather have Kessler or Wiseman...2 of them said Kessler and the 3rd said Kessler right now but Wiseman in 2024 and beyond because he believes Wisman has greater upside.

I will be shocked if Wiseman ends up having a better career than Kessler.
Wiseman still has great upside! He dropped 30pts on Claxton in December with starter minutes. Wiseman is classic case of being drafted by the wrong team.

Mr. T

Wiseman still has great upside! He dropped 30pts on Claxton in December with starter minutes. Wiseman is classic case of being drafted by the wrong team.
Tbh I think this is the case with many so-called busts. NBA is a game of opportunity and luck in sense of finding a way into a team that fits that certain player. Things would be much different if the coaches' approach would be to utilize their building blocks to the utmost instead of trying to fit random players into molds. I think this is the difference between old-school coaching and modern way of coaching. I won't go as far as saying modern NBA as the association is far from this but maybe the future NBA. Its all about adaptability on the franchis' side.