What's new

Walker Kessler Hype & Appreciation Thread

The re-draft question is quite interesting to me. Based on what we've seen, I have him in the #6-9 range, inching closer to 6 than 9. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in the last group.

Really quite fascinating on how to value a player like Kessler in the new-school NBA, though I think people are starting to realize his athleticism/mobility. He's not your throwback statue rim protector.

Definitely picked higher in re-draft:
Paolo Banchero (clear-cut)
Bennedict Mathurin (ditto)

Probably picked higher, wouldn't fight you on it:
Chet Holmgren (potential too tantalizing, can't give up on him yet)
Jaden Ivey (talent really pops; will get more efficient)
Jabari Smith (still oozes prototype big talent)

Could argue these guys; Walker might be better:
Keegan Murray (has been underappreciated; if he keeps shooting the 3 like this, watch out)
Jeremy Sochan (absolute nightmare defensive potential; true guard all 5 positions type)
Jalen Williams (really high floor)

Would clearly take Walker over:
Everyone else
i'd say portland and NOP still really like the potential of Sharpe and Daniels. I'd almost guarantee those teams wouldn't trade either of them straight up for kessler. detroit and duren, atlanta with aj griffin, and houston with tari eason, probably the same.

everybody else, yeah, no brainer for kessler.

and don't get me wrong, kessler's impact has been better than a lot of these guys, but potential is real and i'm pretty confident those teams still see a lot in those guys and feel very comfortable with those picks.

i'd say portland and NOP still really like the potential of Sharpe and Daniels. I'd almost guarantee those teams wouldn't trade either of them straight up for kessler. detroit and duren, atlanta with aj griffin, and houston with tari eason, probably the same.

everybody else, yeah, no brainer for kessler.

and don't get me wrong, kessler's impact has been better than a lot of these guys, but potential is real and i'm pretty confident those teams still see a lot in those guys and feel very comfortable with those picks.

I'd agree with you on that. I also doubt the Jazz would trade Kessler for any of those guys straight up, either.

I think some of that list has a higher ceiling, while Walker looks like a guaranteed, cornerstone big for the next decade.

Has Vando improved or has he just been allowed?

His FT% is exactly the same as last year's.
I don't know, but he does have decent shooting percentages across the board and his 3 pt % has taken a major turn for the better (.200 and .143 up to .339). Of course his overall % will be a tad lower owing to the fact that he's now taking a lot more threes than in the past. His two point % is consistent and his free thow % is also consistent with the past two seasons (the only ones in which he played major minutes). For me, the fact that he can now shoot .339 compared to .143 last season from three is a major improvement for him in the modern game. Free throw shooting can be tricky for guys with bad habits and doesn't change overnight. I mean just look at Shaq in his career, not sure you remember Wilt and his free throw saga, and of course this year I found it amusing to see Plumlee shooting them left handed.

Yeah watched a Minny game recently and Kessler is already miles ahead of Gobert.. Gobert still looks so awkward offensively all these years later..
Still crazy to me he is one of the highest paid players in NBA history and never developed even an ounce of offense.

One day and this kid will post 20/20/20 blocks
I think long before he gets a 20 block game the league will have figured out not to challenge him. Same reason Rudy's blocks per game dropped off. People just veered away and didn't even go at him, or chucked up a high arcing runner with no chance to go in, knowing the block was coming. Not as many opportunities to get those blocks. If Kessler is going to get a triple double with blocks he better do it this year because it won't be long and players will just stop challenging him and he will settle in as a steady 2 bpg guy.

Hardy giving huge praise to Kessler. Cannot access the original article (paywall) but if someone can would be great to see some quotes.

Also, apparently Lauri is also mentoring and helping Kessler develop a lot and Kessler has high praise for him

Back