What's new

Walker Kessler Hype & Appreciation Thread

Coach Ellis

Despite Wiseman’s upside, I still think it’s better to prioritize other positions. Walker Kessler has already proven that he can handle a bigger role moving forward and the Jazz have been burned before by investing too much in the center position. They’ve got a guy who looks like a foundational piece on a great contract - lean into that and invest heavily in wings, stretch big and shooters.

HermanG

Our boy Walker is up to #3 in the NBA.com KIA Rookie ladder.

In that post was a SLC Dunk fan blog that contains quite impressive metrics and case for ROY. NBA.com noticed this fan post as well:

1674668414391.png

YoungJefe

Despite Wiseman’s upside, I still think it’s better to prioritize other positions. Walker Kessler has already proven that he can handle a bigger role moving forward and the Jazz have been burned before by investing too much in the center position. They’ve got a guy who looks like a foundational piece on a great contract - lean into that and invest heavily in wings, stretch big and shooters.
Wiseman is still living off of the hype he had coming out of HS, Kessler has already proven to be an effective NBA player.

Jaanipoeg

He's much further along in his development than Gasol was at the same stage.
Yeah that's true, Gasol didn't come over to the NBA until he was 24. I love Kessler and am very high on him, he is scoring at a blistering 70+% inside right now. Giannis has proven that sometimes trying to develop weaker areas can not be worth it if he can further hone aspects you are elite at. I guess I just don't think Marc Gasol is the right comp for him, but if he can develop some of those areas that would be amazing.

FT% does seem to be a pretty indicator of shooting potential, and Kessler's 55% is pretty rough at this point. Gasol shot 73% as a rookie and got up into the 80%'s. But Kessler seems to have a good drive and work ethic. He proved in college that he has the willingness to shoot outside the paint and if he can keep working on that he can be exciting. Karl Malone shot 48% from the line his rookie season and got it up to almost 80% by the end of his career, and developed a nice rounded offense game to say the least, but comparing his progress to a top 20 player of all time is dangerous haha.