What's new

Walker Kessler Should No Longer Play Until KO is Traded

I was posting kessler stuff in the neggets gamethread so im gonna put here where it belongs.

I mean Kessler is basically our second best player already (Lauri is our best) if you are talking about production and consistency.

If you want to win then you play your best players more. I domt care who the opponent is, i dont care who else is on the floor. Kessler has played better than everyone not named Lauri and should be on the court more.

Last night was probably Olynyks season low in minutes (16) and we just so happen to have our best game of the season and won the game primarily by defense and rebounding (we outrebounded them by 16!)
Kessler had 16 rebounds (6 offensive) and vando had 14 (8 offensive)

Maybe playing those two together more (and playing olynyk less) can actually work. Maybe we can win by outworking teams and defending teams and crashing the glass. Having conley/NAW, clarkson/beasely, and Lauri/KO out there with vando and kessler would provide enough spacing. Vando is a ball mover and a good cutter and kessler can set good screens and rim run and finish. Then of course we would be much better defensively. Those things have value too.

All I know is that kessler has played himself into the second best player on the team imo. Dude knows his role and plays it perfectly. I would love to see if he can handle more.

I just looked up his stats. He is shooting a ridiculous 73% from the field! For context, that is a way better field goal % than rudy gobert ever had in any of his 10 seasons.

Kessler is averaging 4 blocks per 36. Goberts best season for blocks per 36 is 3.4.

Dude is killing it yet cant seem to ever get more than 22-23 minutes in a game. (Averages 16.9). He almost never gets in foul trouble despite his amazing defense. I remember someone posted a stat a few games ago that we are the best defense in the league when kessler is on the court. Thats crazy. Many of his stats are crazy. He is basically already prime rudy gobert as a rookie.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Kessler is definitely not our 2nd best player.

2nd best future potential maybe, but not 2nd best player.

I was posting kessler stuff in the neggets gamethread so im gonna put here where it belongs.

I mean Kessler is basically our second best player already (Lauri is our best) if you are talking about production and consistency.

If you want to win then you play your best players more. I domt care who the opponent is, i dont care who else is on the floor. Kessler has played better than everyone not named Lauri and should be on the court more.

Last night was probably Olynyks season low in minutes (16) and we just so happen to have our best game of the season and won the game primarily by defense and rebounding (we outrebounded them by 16!)
Kessler had 16 rebounds (6 offensive) and vando had 14 (8 offensive)

Maybe playing those two together more (and playing olynyk less) can actually work. Maybe we can win by outworking teams and defending teams and crashing the glass. Having conley/NAW, clarkson/beasely, and Lauri/KO out there with vando and kessler would provide enough spacing. Vando is a ball mover and a good cutter and kessler can set good screens and rim run and finish. Then of course we would be much better defensively. Those things have value too.

All I know is that kessler has played himself into the second best player on the team imo. Dude knows his role and plays it perfectly. I would love to see if he can handle more.

I just looked up his stats. He is shooting a ridiculous 73% from the field! For context, that is a way better field goal % than rudy gobert ever had in any of his 10 seasons.

Kessler is averaging 4 blocks per 36. Goberts best season for blocks per 36 is 3.4.

Dude is killing it yet cant seem to ever get more than 22-23 minutes in a game. (Averages 16.9). He almost never gets in foul trouble despite his amazing defense. I remember someone posted a stat a few games ago that we are the best defense in the league when kessler is on the court. Thats crazy. Many of his stats are crazy. He is basically already prime rudy gobert as a rookie.

iaweatmfp

I think he has at least plugged himself firmly in that discussion. Hard to argue with results. Especially when whoever is our 2nd best player is so inconsistent, no matter which one you choose...Beasley - hit several 3's, whiffed several air-balls, net negative on D; Clarkson - 4-13 and mediocre to ok on D; Conley, bad shooting night too, and ok on D, but our best floor general - still too small and physically limited to have a real defensive impact unfortunately; maybe Sexton actually, but still inconsistent on how he controls the game and the impact he has; who else?

Kessler has become very consistent and seems to learn and play better each game. Even last night, he was put up against Zion once, and got posterized, and really seemed to adjust how he was defending in space. Hardy's adjustments helped that as well, but Kessler's improving play has been a revelation none of us expected. Might be time to give credit where it is due.

Production wise and consistency wise he is. If he isnt then who is? EVERYTIME he plays he rebounds and defends well. Is efficient on offense. Our defense is like the best defense in the league when he is on court.

Every other player on the team besides lauri has lots of stinkers of games. Kessler never ever sucks.

I think he has at least plugged himself firmly in that discussion. Hard to argue with results. Especially when whoever is our 2nd best player is so inconsistent, no matter which one you choose...Beasley - hit several 3's, whiffed several air-balls, net negative on D; Clarkson - 4-13 and mediocre to ok on D; Conley, bad shooting night too, and ok on D, but our best floor general - still too small and physically limited to have a real defensive impact unfortunately; maybe Sexton actually, but still inconsistent on how he controls the game and the impact he has; who else?

Kessler has become very consistent and seems to learn and play better each game. Even last night, he was put up against Zion once, and got posterized, and really seemed to adjust how he was defending in space. Hardy's adjustments helped that as well, but Kessler's improving play has been a revelation none of us expected. Might be time to give credit where it is due.
I would say it's not a real discussion. Conley is better. Olynyk is better. Clarkson is better. I would say you could put him 5th at best.

I still think what Hardy is doing is great. He's playing Walker primarily against bench units that tend to be smaller. That allows Walker to have a higher impact and he wont get punished by the better centers in the NBA who can bully him physically. Also allows KO/Lauri to space the floor against those bigger starting units so JV can use his hustle/activity to operate in space.

Am I evil just because I want to go to a Minny board and start a thread: "So what do you guys think of Walker Kessler?"

Do it.
You should post those stats i put up about kessler having a better shooting percentage in his rookie year than gobert ever had in his career and being a better shot blocker as a rookie that gobert has ever been in his career. They would love that lol

Production wise and consistency wise he is. If he isnt then who is? EVERYTIME he plays he rebounds and defends well. Is efficient on offense. Our defense is like the best defense in the league when he is on court.

Every other player on the team besides lauri has lots of stinkers of games. Kessler never ever sucks.

Mike Conley is clearly our 2nd best player and to argue for anyone else is complete lunacy.

Our defense is actually the best when Rudy Gay is on the court. So is Rudy Gay actually our 2nd best player?

I would say it's not a real discussion. Conley is better. Olynyk is better. Clarkson is better. I would say you could put him 5th at best.
Those guys you named are inconsistent. They suck in many games. Cant say that about Kessler.

And just a few games ago Kessler got bulldozed by Gobert, so I'm not sure where this "never has a bad game" thing comes from. Fans have rose colored glasses when it comes to a rookie who is performing well. They cant do anything wrong, everything is perfect, they deserve all the minutes.

Mike Conley is clearly our 2nd best player and to argue for anyone else is complete lunacy.

Our defense is actually the best when Rudy Gay is on the court. So is Rudy Gay actually our 2nd best player?

Nah gays shooting is WAY too bad. If Gay was shooting 76% from the field and playing amazing defense and rebounding like crazy in every game then you would have an argument. Just defense alone isnt enough.

Ok, we can call Kessler our most consistent role player.

You could even remove the word role from your sentence. No one is more consistent on the team, lauri included. Of course what kessler does is easier to be consistent at so it isnt really fair but its the truth.

Nah gays shooting is WAY too bad. If Gay was shooting 76% from the field and playing amazing defense and rebounding like crazy in every game then you would have an argument. Just defense alone isnt enough.

I'm not arguing that Gay is our 2nd best player, I'm saying your reasoning is ridiculous.

If Walker missed 10 games the Jazz would still win a lot of games. Conley misses 10 games and we saw what happened.

You could even remove the word role from your sentence. No one is more consistent on the team, lauri included. Of course what kessler does is easier to be consistent at so it isnt really fair but its the truth.

Stop smoking the grass bud.

I would hope Walker is the most consistent given his role is the most confined. Not hard to be consistent on layups and dunks vs playmaking and shooting.

I'm not arguing that Gay is our 2nd best player, I'm saying your reasoning is ridiculous.

If Walker missed 10 games the Jazz would still win a lot of games. Conley misses 10 games and we saw what happened.

But you could argue Gay is our second best player if he was playing as good of defense as kessler and rebounding like kessler and playing as good offensively as kessler.

Stop smoking the grass bud.

I would hope Walker is the most consistent given his role is the most confined. Not hard to be consistent on layups and dunks vs playmaking and shooting.

Lol. Stop smoking the grass and then you go on to agree with me that he is the most consistent player on the team with the qualifier that his role is easier to be consistent at (which i already pointed out)

Could have just said, good post.

It’s quite odd to me the dude who white knights for Gobert so hard is a Kessler hater. Something doesn’t add up there.

I think there is definitely a discussion there on who the 2nd best player is. Kessler’s impact defensively far outweighs what KO and Clarkson bring on the court.

Lol. Stop smoking the grass and then you go on to agree with me that he is the most consistent player on the team with the qualifier that his role is easier to be consistent at (which i already pointed out)

Could have just said, good post.

Dog you said remove the word role. You are on the grass.