What's new

Was Kanter a Cancer?

Yeah he was cancer. Locke & Boone alluded to this in the podcast, the practices were much different after he'd left it was noticeable even to them.

He was only a cancer when his teammates knew he had demanded a trade. And I think many of then saw trouble coming as Gobert started to knock on, and then busted down the door. The whole mentality of the team has changed. Gordon cam back with an edge, Favors is playing tough, Rudy is intense. And Booker. DAMN! I'd cross the street if I ever saw him coming. Oh yeah. and then there's Snyder with his evil stare. Enes just didn't have that mentality on the defensive end.

Kanter will average 20/10 wherever he goes if he's given 35 minutes. And just like Boozer or Big Al, stats watchers will point to that as evidence he's a great player. If he EVER becomes a decent defender he CAN be a great player. But that's a huge IF. Taking that risk would have required Utah to be "all in" at $15M/per and trade Rudy. There was no way to keep Gobert on the bench much longer. Just too big a risk for Utah to take. Much better to put their money on a guy who may already be at DPOY level, and who has shown the drive and intensity to keep getting better. Oh yeah, and he's still on a ridiculously cheap rookie contract for 2 more years.

To be fair to Boozer, for a couple years, he was very, very good. We went to a WCF with him. I still believe if Bell had stayed we would have won a title that year.

this is just business , you can be ceo or you can have your job if you are not happy then you dont have a plan about future because peoples always want to news things about their life , yes gobert is good player its early say that he is very good than enes kanter , look at messi he is wonderful with barcelona but when he plays with national team then he doesnt play good

finally i can say you that Right Team Right time Right peoples then you can be successful

Yes he was a cancer. Locke and a few other said he had no friends on the Jazz. Someone asked him who is best friend on the team is, he named someone that Locke never saw him talked to. It was obvious that he wasn't buying into Quin's system and everyone is busting their butt on defense and Kanter was clueless. It was also obvious to anyone who has eyes that he was just out for his stats. I've heard from a few sources that Kanter scourers the stat sheet after every game in the locker room in front of his team mates. He just cared what his stats were and could care less about the team. Kanter was an energy sucker. Since he is gone, the Jazz have a whole new energy level and they are killing teams and taking names. See ya Kanter, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I think Kanter's ******** can be handled in a veteran locker room but for this team that is trying to find themselves it just doesnt work.

People knock Kanter and deservedly so. He certainly is a flawed basketball player. But shouldn't Jazz management take some responsibility in this. Look at who they surrounded him with:

Al Jefferson - a big man who never did anything that didn't have a statistical measurement associated with it. Jazz should have jettisoned him out of Utah immediately after the lock-out season.
Michael Sanders - a "big man" coach who isn't big
Tyrone Corbin - no explanation needed.
Memo Okur - see Al Jefferson

Kanter wasn't born with a basketball in his crib, he was never a gym rat, never played one minute of college ball - he was the quintessential late blooming big man. His basketball instincts were completely un-refined when the Jazz drafted him and they did a lousy job developing them.

Memo was traded in December of Kanter's rookie season so it doesn't seem like Memo would have had much influence on Kanter. I agree with most everything else.

I've been as hard on Kanter as anyone here. I think the public demand of a trade was stupid. I don't think he was a cancer in the locker room up till that point. I think he was going to be the rest of the season though. Whether he wanted to be or not saying you want to be traded effects the way the rest of the team would view him and interact with him. That is why he really needed to go. I did not believe the Jazz would trade him. I just didn't think he would have the value because of the trade demand.

To be fair to Boozer, for a couple years, he was very, very good. We went to a WCF with him. I still believe if Bell had stayed we would have won a title that year.
No way that team wins a title. They were not even competitive against the Spurs.

Yeah he was cancer. Locke & Boone alluded to this in the podcast, the practices were much different after he'd left it was noticeable even to them.

Really? I missed it. Do you know which podcast or could you paraphrase?

some posts are plain ridiculous.
First, Kanter was and is a gym rat.
Second, he was not a cancer. maybe he wasn't the best teammate ever, but never publicly ridiculed another Jazzman like some other guys did, which was backed by certain brainless residents of this forum.
He is a disappointment for me at the end but he tried!
one has to give him the due credit.

I think Kanter's ******** can be handled in a veteran locker room but for this team that is trying to find themselves it just doesnt work.

Agreed. The Jazz are still a young team overall. Even aside from the Thunder having a lot of vets, Kanter will be happy to be in the playoff hunt and in a new setting in general. I don't think he'll be any sort of the problem for the Thunder this year.

If he was a "cancer," I think that will be quickly straightened out in OKC where there are two clear leaders and they won't put up with dissension.

In the locker room, the divide was growing. Injuries to Durant were keeping the team from finding a rhythm, and without the band-aid of winning to heal wounds, the Thunder's chemistry was suffering. The cliquish aspect was impossible not to notice. Jackson, Perry Jones and Jeremy Lamb all had lockers together on one side; Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka were on the other. Jackson, Lamb and Jones are close, shooting pregame together and often leaving the arena together. All three had also fallen out of favor with Brooks.

When the Thunder acquired Waiters, his locker was initially placed next to Jackson's, alongside Lamb and Jones. He spent two games in that location before Durant and Westbrook requested he be moved across to the other side, next to them. The official reason was said to be for integration purposes, to help Waiters get to know the team's leaders and learn from them. But it's hard not to see it as an attempt to move him away from one clique and into another.

https://espn.go.com/blog/okc-thunder/post/_/id/324/jacksons-okc-exit-a-long-time-coming

People seem to forget that the team was playing .500 level ball for a while now after playing abysmal ball at start of season. Team was slowly improving. Overall though the trade worked out great for both party's.

Nah, Kanter wasn't a cancer. He just wasn't a good fit with the team. Huge difference.