What's new

We can now legitimately reflect on Tony Bradley...

If you play Bradley's production to Rudy's minutes their stats would be quite similar. I know the haters will not like that.

Bradley blows. So does Jeff Green.

We have Ingles, Mudiay and at some point, hopefully a solid Exum off our bench. That could be three solid guys. But we suck up front. Ed Davis looked quite underwhelming and doesn't offer much hope.

Bobby Portis interests me with his ability to play the 4 or 5 and hit the 3 but to get him, we'd have to give up Exum and Davis most likely. I don't know where we go from here but we aren't winning it all or likely even making the WCF with this bench.

You realise he has the defensive impact of a melted snow cone
I’m not sure that’s a fair assessment. I think people make stupid comments like this because they don’t actually watch him play. For instance, there have been several times that I’ve watched him on defense where a melted snow cone would have at least caused someone to slip while driving the lane and would force them to flail up a shot with little chance of going in.

Last edited:
I've been encouraged with his play. In his first outing, he had some key buckets to help us secure our win against Philly. Yeah, sure, his defense left something to be desired against Memphis and is generally a work in progress. But when you look at where he's at in his career and how many NBA minutes he's actually logged, I think he's going to be fine. Now that Gobert is such a confident stud, people forget how miserable he used to look in short minutes backing up Al Jeff.

Still too early. Physcilaty of the game is something he can only learn through playing time. It remains to be seen if he can adjust to it but it's probably the priority of the coaching staff.

Tony seems like a positive contributor offensively, so he could be an acceptable backup if he can get his dense to just slightly negative (instead of the current disaster).

He has two problems defensively: 1) he is slow recognizing what is going on, and 2) he is physically slow. I can't think of an NBA rotation player that is both of these. I doubt he is going to get physically faster, so his only hope is to improve his mental reaction time. The good news is that actual NBA minutes is the best way to improve. Overall, I don't think TB is a deserving rotation player this year, but by the end of his rookie contract I expect he will be.

Watching TB makes me appreciate even more Sloan getting the playoff win over Denver while starting Fesenko.

Still too early. Physcilaty of the game is something he can only learn through playing time. It remains to be seen if he can adjust to it but it's probably the priority of the coaching staff.
I don’t disagree with this. But then I’d bring up the problem of Tony’s timeline. The Jazz basically pushed all-in last summer—so do they have time to nurse Tony along?

There comes a point where the rotations simply must congeal for April, May, and June. Obviously there’s a little bit of time between now and some kind of congealing deadline, but Tony isn’t inspiring confidence that he can make it over that deadline.

If he were playing for the Memphis Grizzlies, it would be an entirely different conversation.

I don’t disagree with this. But then I’d bring up the problem of Tony’s timeline. The Jazz basically pushed all-in last summer—so do they have time to nurse Tony along?

There comes a point where the rotations simply must congeal for April, May, and June. Obviously there’s a little bit of time between now and some kind of congealing deadline, but Tony isn’t inspiring confidence that he can make it over that deadline.

If he were playing for the Memphis Grizzlies, it would be an entirely different conversation.
For sure, his timeline doesn't really fit with us as a 2nd Center but did DL have a way of knowing how the timeline would change? We didn't know what Hayward would do and had Udoh and Favors behind Gobert. Once the timeline changed moving away from him for undrafted didn't make much sense as we would always have a roster spot for one.

Same draft, Thomas Bryant turned into a Nba starter and only had good minutes last year. So there is still probably time considering Bradley is younger.

Once Ed is back he will only get spot minutes and all the Bradley talk is going be HH talking about how common backup centers are. So no worries, I guess.

For sure, his timeline doesn't really fit with us as a 2nd Center but did DL have a way of knowing how the timeline would change? We didn't know what Hayward would do and had Udoh and Favors behind Gobert. Once the timeline changed moving away from him for undrafted didn't make much sense as we would always have a roster spot for one.

Same draft, Thomas Bryant turned into a Nba starter and only had good minutes last year. So there is still probably time considering Bradley is younger.

Once Ed is back he will only get spot minutes and all the Bradley talk is going be HH talking about how common backup centers are. So no worries, I guess.
I’m not questioning the pick at the time it was made. Or even questioning sticking with TB up to this point. But I am opening doubting the wisdom of sticking with him beyond this point when someone like Udoh could fit right in from day one and stabilize the position going forward.